main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Games of the XXXI Olympiad - Official Rio Summer Olympics (8/5-21) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Ender Sai and CairnsTony like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're evil, Shane. Pure evil.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Nintendo Olympics.

4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    To me that last sentence says it all... Aus, for its size has actually done pretty well and collected about as many medals as it can reasonably expect comparative to other countries with more resources at their disposal. This focus on failure instead of success, as if it's all gone horribly wrong, is just so unfair on Aussie sportsmen and women, many of whom actually did really well, comparatively speaking.

On a slightly different subject: I nailed my flag to the mast on whom I support in sports over 40 years ago: GB, the Home Nations in general, Ireland (my parents are from there) and my beloved Arsenal Football Club. This has nothing to do with nationalism (I despise everything Brexit stands for), and everything to do with the fact I like to cheer on one team. It does not mean, and never has meant, that I won't take my hat off to better opponents when GB et al are defeated in any given sport; the best competitors always deserve to win....

I am very happy for GB's achievements at these Olympics and I reasonably expect them to drop off somewhat in Tokyo; in fact I'll predict now a top 3 finish for Japan, four years from now. GB, hopefully will make the top 10, but if they don't, I won't be lamenting failure, but the success of those who do well, hopefully not by cheating, and condolences for those who don't. GB simply cannot expect to finish in the top three every time, it just won't happen. That won't stop me cheering them on every time however. :)

MOC Yak Face and Sarge like this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Australia spends a disproportionately large amount of money on athletes for the Olympics. It's good for patriotism and self image, as many other countries have also found. And that's where the anxiety comes from. We spent so much, made so many plans, made so many optimistic predictions...

And yeah, its not fair for it all to rely on one person having a perfect swim at that one moment, or a lucky point with 5 seconds to go. But media commenters have to comment about something.

Has Great Britain pumped up its resources in recent years? You folks used to be fairly mediocre, but this year you're Number 2 in the medals. I reckon there's half a billion spent there.

The Russians use drugs. We inject money.

Edit: Quick googling...
    Aus spent $340Aus over 4 years specifically on Olympics training
    The UK spend £280m, or about $480Aus
    (All vague and debatable)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  6. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Thatcher was notoriously anti-sport. Football reached its absolute lowest ebb in terms of funding in the early 80s, even if clubs were doing well in Europe. Stadiums were dilapidated, hooliganism was rife and disasters such as Bradford happened. Other sports hardly faired well either, much of the time. Yes, the improvements have come through better funding via the National Lottery: better facilities and better training as well as the opportunity for athletes to have less financial pressures on them; these all clearly help.

It won't last; these things never do, but I'd like to think that GB won't return to the solitary Gold Medal situation that existed at Atlanta. :)

An example of where more money hasn't helped much however is Tennis: Yes there's Andy Murray, and a few other fairly decent players, but money has been misused badly as this article demonstrates:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...t-Roehampton-seven-years-after-it-opened.html

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    That Japanese bit at the end seemed very Japanese.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I can only hope that Mario showing up means that e-sports is coming to the Tokyo Games. Or, at least, Nintendo properties will be all over the games.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I wanna see Bolt race Sonic.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Bolt would win because Sonic would spend too much time at the start revving up his spin dash.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    News here is that the GB team are about to land at Heathrow Airport. They're on a specially chartered British Airlines 747 that has had its nosecone painted gold for the occasion. About 10 minutes to go til it lands.

Juliet316 , Rew, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I took the chance to stand in the background and cheer at the "welcome home" celebration for my town's gold medalist. (Jenny Rissveds, MTB)
    [​IMG]

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    ESPN is reporting that Hope Solo's been suspended from the US Women's Soccer Team for her Olympic comments about the Swedish team after they beat the US.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Suspension? She should be flat out dropped.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Katie Ledecky threw the first pitch at the nationals game -- but first she handed all her medals to one of the players to hold on to while she was throwing the pitch. haha.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's amazing. Video please?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Had I known this was going to happen, I'd have stopped at the stadium on the way home!

Juliet316 , Sarge and dp4m like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's excellent. And made even better by it being Bryce Harper getting the medals and his expressions...

19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I wish she thrown it at the mascot.

20. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    That was a quality pitch.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    And with that, the games closeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.