main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Games of the XXXI Olympiad - Official Rio Summer Olympics (8/5-21) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    US Women's gymnastics team named for Rio, will be heavy favorites to win gold in team competition.

Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman return from the London team, newcomers include 3-time defending world champion Simone Biles, Laurie Hernandez, and Madison Kocian.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll be honest, I saw this thread bumped and assumed that Rio de Janeiro had exploded. Not because of a gas leak, but just because it periodically explodes. "It's fine, it'll be fine," says Olympic Committee, "the games will go on as planned."

ShaneP, Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So the CAS has decided to upheld the IAAF ban on Russian athletes. I actually thought they wouldn't dare do that, the question is of course if other sports federations outside of the IAAF, or even IOC itself, will ban Russians as well.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36855244

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I have my doubts Russia will get entirely banned from Rio. I just can't see the IOC (which is a corrupt group itself) having the guts to go through with it. Serious sanctions, maybe, but not an all-out ban.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The sanction they need to levy is to force them to give the USA the gold medal in men's basketball from 1972 and right the greatest wrong in olympic history.

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  7. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Heavy favorite to win the equestrian eventing gold just had to switch to his back-up horse. Oh and this replacement horse is the one that won gold in London. Michael Jung has been winning every major event over the last two years with three amazing horses. Team USA has their work cut out for them.

Sent from my iHorse

heels1785 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why the Olympics aren't held in a permanent place every four years (one place for the Summer Games, another for the Winter), but then again, the IOC wouldn't get much bribe and corruption money out of such an arraignment.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    These Olympics, like basically everything this year, is going to be a huge cluster****

11. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I don't think they need to be held in the same place but I do think it could be the same for 2 summer olympics to give the next host country plenty of time to get money and get things done. It also seems silly to build all that stuff and then it doesn't get used anymore.

Sent from my iHorse

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I see no reason why you couldn't establish six permanent hosts and rotate through the continents.

Edit: other than bribes

Juliet316 and ma_petite like this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    They should just get Val and Steven Adams to look after security.

[​IMG]

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If anyone has HBO/Go/Now, I would recommend taking a look at the most recent Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel - a very raw look not only at the dire situation in Rio, but an incredibly damning indictment of Putin and the Russians via an extensive piece from Bernie Goldberg (who was imprisoned by Sochi security troops while on assignment).

MOC Yak Face and Juliet316 like this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I love watching the Olympics and I have done since I was a kid. It gets harder and harder to just put all of the dodgy political stuff out of your head and enjoy the competition though. It's a crying shame. It really is.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Michael Phelps will be the flag bearer for the USA on Friday. Absolutely an earned distinction. I don't think it's hyperbole, at all, to call him the greatest Olympian in United States history.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would have preferred Ibtihaj Muhammad as a stinging rebuke to Donald Trump, but I can't really argue with Phelps.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    In 10 minutes it starts, since the women's football is kicking off early. I just remembered to change my cable channels for August so that I have an extra sports channel instead of the Disney Channel.

21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    So Andy Murray's carrying the flag for GB. I hope he's careful not to dazzle the stadium with his smile!

Just joking by the way. I like Andy Murray and he's an amazing athlete.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I can't believe it's already time for the Olympics, this year is flying by....but looking forward to obsessing over and becoming emotionally invested in a bunch of sports that I normally don't give a hoot about!

Juliet316 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    That's so true! For all but a couple of weeks every four years I don't watch a minute of most of these sports, but at the Olympics it all becomes enormously fascinating.

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I love seeing all the small sports, that you don't hear about for the rest of time. I really don't care about football, golf or tennis at the Olympics since they have bigger tournaments outside of the games, but I love the chance of discovering something new.

And the Swedish women's football team did what they had to do and won 1-0 against South Africa, they need to perform better if they want to be in the finals stage of the games though.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm mostly interested in the sports for which the Olympics is the pinnacle of achievement. So not tennis, golf, football etc. I watch the pinnacle events for those sports all year long, every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.