main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games: RPG Forum Administration and Announcements

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Welcome to the Games: RPG Forum!

For those of you who started out, like I did, in 1987 with the original First Edition West End Games Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game or have only experienced the Wizards of the Coast Revised d20 System, we hope this is a place to find answers to all of your questions, hang out with roleplayers, shoot the breeze, come up with campaign ideas or the like. If you've never played before and are looking for information as to what this whole "RPG thing" is about -- jump right it, ask questions.

First we'll deal with some administrative issues, then we'll get into some Forum resources and a FAQ.

Administrative Rules and Regulations

First thing -- if you have any question about this or anything else, send me a PM.

The No-Solication Clause of the Terms of Service
    Advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes and other commercial solicitations are inappropriate on the Forums.

This is being waived in this Forum in the following manner:

- First-Run/Currently In-Print Books: Links to first-hand purchasing sites only (e.g Amazon). No used book sales allowed, as this reduces sales for the copyright owners (who do not receive money from used book sales).

- Out-of-Print Books: Any links to a LEGAL first- or second-hand purchasing site (e.g. Amazon, eBay, etc.) since no sales would be lost in any case.

No user should offer to sell to another user in a thread. Conversely, no user should ask to buy from another user in a thread.

Copyright Infringement

Generally, small snippets of text (such as the description of a single species stat block) for informational purposes will be allowed. Where possible, try and give a source listing and a copyright when posting said information (e.g. "Starships of the Galaxy, p. 86. Copyright 2001 by WOTC under authorization by LFL") -- this is encouraged but not absolutely required.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If I suspect that a user is "abusing" this privilege, I will make a note of it and bring it to their attention. This site should not be used in lieu of purchasing sourcebooks. We are an enhancement to knowledge, not a substitute for it

What is this Forum? What isn't this Forum?

This forum is for the discussion of Star Wars Role-Playing Games in whatever form they be -- West End Games, Wizards of the Coast, Star Warriors, Live-Action Star Wars Role Playing, etc.

It is NOT for the discussion of other role-playing games unless specifically contrasting them to the Star Wars RPG or using other systems to get ideas for the SW setting. In addition, discussion of LARP (Live Action Role-Playing) is to be that -- discussion. There is to be no "in-character" Star Wars role-playing on this Forum -- that is what the Role Playing Forum is for!

Forum and JC Resources

- Is there any preferable chronological order for the WEG adventure modules? (contains WEG module listings and descriptions)

Online Resources

- Wizards of the Coast Star Wars RPG Site
    - The Star Wars RPG Network
    - JD Wiker's Website
    - The Star Wars RPG.net (home of the Online Journal)
    - High Admiral Deck's Complete WEG Reference List

Frequently Asked Questions

What is roleplaying?
    We'll go to West End Games for this, as they started the Star Wars RPG scene... "You've read novels; you've seen movies; you've watched television. What is it about these things that so compels people to sit down time and again to spend some of their precious free moments? Stories.
    We love to watch characters fall into conflict, and can't wait to see how things turn out

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    (used for possibly unsticking later)

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Good work, dp4m!

[Han]I have a good feeling about this[/Han]

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    TheForce.Net's RPG

//slaps self on forehead...

I knew I missed something important... :)

6. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    :eek: TFN has an RPG section!? :p

Good work there, dp4m.

It is NOT for the discussion of other role-playing games unless specifically contrasting them to the Star Wars RPG or using other systems to get ideas for the SW setting.
    I hope that this does not preclude us from posting non Star Wars stories in threads that exist for the purpose of sharing stories about wacky moments or stupid character deaths.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I hope that this does not preclude us from posting non Star Wars stories in threads that exist for the purpose of sharing stories about wacky moments or stupid character deaths.

No, but if the thread spirals wildly out of the realm of SW RPGs (e.g. the thread becomes mostly about stupid character tricks now in SW RPG) then it'll be a problem -- it's mostly for the preemptive information (i.e. don't be starting threads like that) rather than the continuation...

8. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    You should also maintain a list of other SW RPG discussion boards.

9. ArmageBedar

ArmageBedar Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2000
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    New topic for discussion -- we generally don't allow video game posts here, but what about future cross-Forum games such as Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic -- which are both CRPGs... thoughts?

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I think that these topics belong to the Videogames forum. You could always create a pair of official topics, one for SWG and another for KOTOR, but in my honest opinion CRPGs don't belong here.

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I agree; this forum should focus on discussion of the pen and paper RPGs.
    Of course, part of that opinion is based on the fact that I do not view CRPGs in the same category as RPGs. Once the computer is advanced enough that I can have a character that can truly do anything I want him to and have the environment or NPCs react accordingly, as they would with a human GM, then I might consider calling a video game an RPG.

13. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Until I see a suppliment for both, neither are RPGs in the traditional sense. Especially if they are online. Just like EQ and AO aren't RPGs, but glorified kill games that allow for interaction, but don't require it.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I would say no also, but leave it open for changing our minds in the future.

The real argument is that the rules are more restrictive in computer games, and the computer AI is the GM. However in a game like Neverwinter Nights, a human player does act as the GM, so a grey area comes up if a game like this comes out for Star Wars.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The real argument is that the rules are more restrictive in computer games, and the computer AI is the GM. However in a game like Neverwinter Nights, a human player does act as the GM, so a grey area comes up if a game like this comes out for Star Wars.

As a side note, I believe that KotOR uses the NWN engine, so that may be what happens.

As it stands now, I like the idea of one "Official <game> Thread" for each of 'em with all discussion relating to each of them going in their respective threads. Of course, this can all change as it gets closer.

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    As I understand it though, even in that situation with Nevewinter Nights, the GM does not have the amount of freedom that he would in a pen & paper game.

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    As a side note, I believe that KotOR uses the NWN engine, so that may be what happens.

AFAIK, KOTOR will not be using the Aurora (NWN) engine. A new engine is being used for it, one that makes the Aurora engine look butt-ugly. :D

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Checking in with the crowd around here --

What do you think of the TF.n RPG section?

- What do you like?
    - What do you not like?
    - What would you like to see?
    - Any other comments/questions?

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    - What do I like?
    The links to magazine articles and the Wizards scoops.

- What do I not like?
    The page looks, well, almost empty.

- What would I like to see?
    First of all, scoops from those astounding fan pages as SWRPGNetwork or starwars-rpg.net. There's been some good material in this forum, like the Anzati stats; they deserve recognition. Interviews with game designers the way TF.N Books do would be great. Reviews of SWRPG manuals. A release schedule that doesn't end with DSSB ;). And, hmmm, d20 Kalandar? Yeah, I know, lots of things :D but that's what i would like.

- Any other comments/questions?
    Bring it back to life!!

20. FrobiWanKenobi

FrobiWanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2002
    So the Ultimate Alien Anthology thread was closed why?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I didn't close it -- look at the header. It tells you if someone else edited it.

22. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    I can't see any other name aside from the original poster's. All I saw was that the topic was locked.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Coming Soon - The New Republic Era Sourcebook

Is that really coming soon (by a licensed canon source) or is that wishful thinking? :)

24. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    Nice job sidestepping the question - I still see nothing aside from Silver-Blade's name on the post.

Are you trying to say that there is a Rogue Mod running around TF.N's boards just closing threads?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nice job sidestepping the question - I still see nothing aside from Silver-Blade's name on the post.

Are you trying to say that there is a Rogue Mod running around TF.N's boards just closing threads?

I didn't sidestep anything. I didn't close it. No other Mod did either. It was likely locked by the user (which is possible within the 90 minute edit time).

EDIT: I checked -- one can "Lock Topic" when posting the first post so it can simply be posted locked. This will cause the thread to be locked and no name to appear for "Edited By:"

So please don't accuse me of "sidestepping" anything. If something happened, I'll let you know. I don't lock threads without cause or disclosing reasons (and wouldn't let anyone else do it either).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.