main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games That They Don't Make Anymore

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by howlrunner22, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    There are countless old games that deserve a revival but nowadays, gamers look for snazzy graphics. Bah!

Gimme back my Quest for Glory (sub refer: any point-and-click game Sierra ever released), Protostar (I *loved* this game) and Jagged Alliance.

2. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Snazzy graphics? I don't want no stinking snazzy graphics... (heh when it is replaced by poor playability)

Well, I couldn't recognize a single game you mentioned.. but I for one will like to see those classic C64 games I used to play come to the PC (Ghost n goblins, Green Beret etc.).

Oh, and Lemmings is coming to PC yet again (heh, about time) - I hope it's gonna be as good as the realllly old ones...

3. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    I don't blame you if you don't know Protostar and Jagged Alliance but... Quest for Glory is a legend!

4. Jade Skyhiker

Jan 3, 2000
    heh, must be one of those IBM PC games out when I was still messing around with Commodores.

I miss those good ol text adventure games - Zork! (haven't played the graphical ones yet)

5. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I heard alot of bad things about the first graphical zork. It lost the spirit of the original games. The latest one out was suppose to be better.

Lemmings is coming back, oh have i missed watching those little troll like guys explode.

6. Jade Skyhiker

Jan 3, 2000
    the latest one out? I remember one a few years ago - Return to Zork or something.. never tried it tho. I still think text adventures would be more fun.

Heh, I remember the old C64 text adventures.. "I don't understand" being the most common comp reply I've ever had... I even made my own text adventure in BASIC, but never gotten around to finishing it (after reaching 4000 lines of program...) Bah!

Lemmings, those cute little things. It was actually the first IBM PC game I've ever played.

7. JediMaster2000

JediMaster2000 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 1999
    I miss Doom. That was my first real computer game, and I still love it, though I haven't played it in years. I heard a Doom 3 was in the works. That would be GREAT.

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    another G 'n' G fan!!!!!
    they definately need to release a millennium issue of that..ahh the memories, i really need to set up a c6 4 emulator, i tied last year a couple of times, but i got sick of the constant crashing

9. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    I miss those old Tron arcade games. The Disks of Tron and the Lightcycles. Remember those?

10. Jade Skyhiker

Jan 3, 2000
    Heh, of course - who wouldn't love Ghost n Goblins?? ;) Don't you just love the skull n bones when you die?? (I'm a sicko - hey) ;)

Tron. Hmmmm. Remember the movie and the book. Never played the game..

Anyway, lets reminisce. Remember when loading one darned game required typing a bunch load of stuff and waiting 3 whole minutes (depending) to start playing??? Heh, the era of no hard drives.. And really *floppy* disks.

I still have my some 'ol 100+ collection of C64 games + progs. I think the comp still works. Too bad it's not with me right now... I'd rather mess with it than get an emulator.. Heh.

A classic collection would be nice. As long as they don't pad it up with snazzy graphics and updated doodahs.

11. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    80s games are cool and all but its the 1990-1994 gaming season I enjoy the most.

12. Darth Binky

Darth Binky Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 24, 1999
    I miss Centurion: Defender of Rome. I can't find that game anywhere.

13. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Centurion..... lemme go fetch a link for you...

http://arachnoidweb.com/warehouse/games/centurion.html

Could this be it?

14. Jar Jar Fett

Jar Jar Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2000
    Anyone remember Wolfenstein 3d?

That game started the whole first person 3d shooter craze.

15. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    http://arachnoidweb.com/warehouse/games/wolfenstein3d.html

Wolfenstein 3D.....

16. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    howlrunner, you are the coolest guy I have ever met. You really kick ass. Thanks. You don't know how hard I've tried to find that game. I guess I just looked in the wrong places.

Note: I haven't tried downloading it yet. This is assuming it works.

17. Jade Skyhiker

Jan 3, 2000
    Uh oh.. praise for Howl... get ready for.. uh... quick! get away!!!! before Howl... ego... exploding.. ;)

heh, Wolfenstein - cool game ("Nazis! I hate those guys"). There's a bit of it (it could be the whole game, I'm not sure) included with Doom 2 - somewhere in the last levels. Unless of course, it's just Doom 2 with Wolfenstein levels..

early 90's games kick butt tooo (Tie Fighter etc..) but mid 90's the best - Civ2!! - oh, maybe that's not considered old..

18. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    It worked. I just got done playing it for the last two hours.

19. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    howlrunner, do you know of any sites with old 80s and Atari games?

20. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    Ok, next "brain-buster":

There was another Genesis game where you fought as a barbarian-esque warrior. As you went through each level, you got some powerups. If you got enough of these powerups, you would morph into a different creature with different powers. I am trying to remember, but some of the creatures were a bear, a wolf, a more powerful wolf, and a dragon. Each level had it's own creature though; I think it was the third level, you could morph into a bear and that was it. First level was the weaker wolf. You get the picture. It was a traditional side scroller, and if memory serves, it was originally the game that shipped with the Genesis system before they came out with Sonic. Does anyone remember this game and more importantly, what it was called?

21. Darth Binky

Oct 24, 1999
    I thought of more of that game:

You were some sort of fallen god or something, kind of like Hercules. At the end of each level, some bad guy would pop out and steal your powerups, so you'd have to start over. He was some sort of Pluto type evil god or something, and he was the last boss you fought. There weren't many levels either. And each creature you morphed into (I think it was like lycanthropy) would do some special sweep-type move across the screen, in different directions based on which creature it was. The weaker wolf would fly straight up (or down if you jumped first) and would kill anything he hit. Strong wolf's attack was horizontal. I forget what the others did.

I really want to find that game too.

22. DUM-5

DUM-5 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2000
    Would the game you're thinking of be Altered Beast???

23. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i have stll got the c64 somewhere, my parents brought a new keyboard for it, but it doesn't go, i think a cable is missing, and pretty much all the games stopped working back in the late 80s, early 90s, at least all the ones i liked anyway, cept boulderdash, but the tape drive was too slow for my liking

24. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    Atari? Sorry, no can do over there. I'll still try though but don't get your hopes up.

That Genesis game... ahhh, I remember it. I have it too, in fact, I think I still have the cartridge somewhere... Try some ROM sites. (But remember, its only legal if you already have the original game.)

Just in case you need any more games, here's two links.....

http://www.theunderdogs.org

This site rocks! Every game has a review and a screenshot. Their ratings are excellent and accurate and you can actually search and organise results according to things like Visitor's Ratings, Top Dogs (site owner's own preference), date of original public release, maker of product and much much more... Another cool feature is that there is a Hall of Belated Fame where the best of the best are inducted into. Some guys even include downloadable manuals! The only bad thing is that you can only download one game at a time due to the high demand. If you attempt to download more than one, you will be banned. This site however, is still the best in abandonware.

http://www.gamingdepot.com/

Interesting gaming site..... not as comprehensive as I would like, but still reasonably good.

http://www.arachnoidweb.com/warehouse/

Excellent site. Has a ton of games the others don't have. The only problem is the slight difficulty in navigation and the occassional lack of a preview.

http://www.abandongames.com/

If the sites mentioned above don't have the games you're looking for, this place will at least have a LINK to a site which does.

http://www.trojansoft.com/

Quite like the link above.

http://www.freeloader.com/

This site, whilst lacking in sheer content, does feature some up-to-date games (all legal of course, not warez). Quite impressive. Its also quite a good gaming news site.

http://www.finnishgames.com/

Finland has some of the finest game makers around. Try it out.

http://www.finnishgames.com/

Large list of freeware..... Its a pity that there isn't much of a review system and it suffers from the lack of easy navigation.

http://bhlegend.com/

It has an organised list of C64 and Amiga, so its worth checking out.

If these sites don't have what you're looking for, well, good luck.

25. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    If any of you find a good game, perhaps it would be nice of you to share... please, post a link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.