main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Gaming on a Sunday Afternoon: E3 2018

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 2, 2018.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ♪ ♫ I go off to Sony on a Monday evening
    Tuesday I go off to Nintendo
    I'll be back for Microsoft before it's time for sunny-down
    I'll be gaming on a Sunday afternoon
    ♫ ♪

So, in one week, the events that are ever-creeping their way further forward into the preceding weekend begin: E3.

Here's the schedule for the bigger events:

Saturday the 9th
    11:00am PT / 2:00pm EST: EA Play

Sunday the 10th
    1:00pm PT / 4:00pm EST: Microsoft
    6:30pm PT / 9:30pm EST: Bethesda.
    8:00pm PT / 11:00pm EST: Devolver Digital

Monday the 11th
    10:00am PT / 1:00pm EST: Square Enix
    1:00pm PT / 4:00pm EST: Ubisoft
    3:00pm PT / 6:00pm EST: PC Gaming Show
    3:30pm / 6:30pm EST: Nintendo Splatoon 2 World Championship opening rounds.
    6:00pm PT / 9:00pm EST: Sony.

Tuesday the 12th
    9am PT/12pm EST: Nintendo video presentation
    1:00pm PT/4:00pm EST: Nintendo Splatoon 2 World Championship finals
    Following the Above: Nintendo Smash Bros Invitational 2018
    Between / During All of the Above: Nintendo Treehouse Live

Wednesday the 13th -Thursday the 14th
    All Day: Nintendo Treehouse Live

And possibly of related note, Apple's WWDC runs before E3 from the 4th to the 8th, so there might be some gaming-related news coming out of there as well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    EA continuing to push the schedule earlier is really starting to grind my gears.

Also the show floor opens basically right after the Nintendo presser on Tuesday morning so that's when you should expect hands-on coverage to start from all major outlets.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree.

Also, 9 PM on a Monday, seriously. Ugh.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sony.txt

On the bright side they've really gotten their pacing under control, it used to be they'd go that late and have some nonsense in the middle about television deals.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They seem to be streamlining further- Sony's conference is said to be primarily focused on only 4 games: Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Spider-Man & Ghost of Tsushima.

Meanwhile, on the Nintendo front, leaks suggest Assassins Creed, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Overcooked 2, a new title called Killer Queen Black, Paladins, FIFA 19, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Mario Tennis Aces & Fortnite will be hitting Switch. As well as the previously announced Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Just make the entire conference about Death Stranding. Finally, there'd be a presser exclusively aimed at myself and Dan Ryckert.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The only one I've really kept up with it Bethesda because of the new Fallout game. Oh, and Death Stranding, but I don't know what company is releasing it.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sony's publishing it; it's a second party game.

Outsourced likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm curious about what Square Enix will have to present. We already know about Kingdom Hearts 3. Just tell the world when the FFVII Remake will be officially released and we won't bother you anymore.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m guessing KH3 release date, DQ11 release date, FF7 trailer with an estimated year.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They'll also probably have Tomb Raider. Might be too early but it's possible they might be able to announce Tokyo RPG Factory's next project too. They haven't had a conference in 3 years so that would seem like a plausible announcement to fill out a full conference.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But everyone and their mother knows about Tomb Raider coming out this Fall. That's not a big deal anymore. You can even pre-order it now.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They'll probably still show it off, though, then they don't have to play favorites with it.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they paid for the conference, they're going to push big fall titles for sure.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Let me rephrase what I meant to say. It's not to say they shouldn't show TR; it's that it wouldn't be such a deal as a new game reveal would.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, well, yeah- but then most of an E3 conference is about games that aren't new reveals since they're trying to hype up sales for stuff hitting this year.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On the WWDC side this week, Apple was showing off a multi-user AR setup that interacts with physical LEGO sets:

With the VR hype train not taking center stage at conventions this year, I'm curious if we'll get more of an AR push instead. Seems like something Nintendo and Microsoft are equipped to utilize (if Hololens ever becomes anything except an experiment, at least). And with the tech being more accessible in general, it seems like it can get more momentum while VR still tries to figure itself out.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I still have a really hard time buying that there’s a serious market for either beyond interested techie sorts. If anything people are continuing to move away from devices that require them to stay in one place; that’s impossible with VR, and has serious hurdles to overcome for AR that current proposed models don’t even seem to address.

In any case I don’t expect any of the usual suspects to lead the way on any of it. Phone makers are going to get to AR first, and if VR ever seriously catches on beyond a gimmick I don’t think it will be iterations on any of the extant headsets.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think AR being able to be implemented on existing smart devices gives it a head start in the accessibility and mobility aspects. And since it's mostly just an extension of existing mobile platform interactions, the language for using AR is already established and integrated into society (unlike VR, which is still experimenting with what it's language of interaction will be) so it's really more a matter of getting software out there that really starts to take advantage of AR in ways other than simple AR sticker tricks.

Non-gaming-related AR apps would probably be best positioned for that initially, though- and then game developers can expand those uses into game-related content.

Nintendo did some things in this regard with the 3DS and Wii U but never went all-in on a really solid app- it was mostly secondary demo-type apps included on the 3DS, etc.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They were too busy keeping motion control in the nunchucks in case they ever decide to bring back Wii Sports (they will never bring back Wii Sports he said in a deliberate attempt to tempt fate).

darkspine10 and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hoping for an announcement of that long rumored Superman game for years!

themoth likes this.
  22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Nobody145 and Life like this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    MY BODY IS READY!!

25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    E3 hype! Nintendo has a lot of stuff, hopefully. Microsoft and Ubisoft have some racing games to show off. And EA takes yet another dump on the Star Wars licence while showing how amazing Battlefield is. Oh, and PvZ: Garden Warfare 3 if rumours are to be believed.
    Oh, and Kingdom Hyped!