main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Gaming on a Sunday Afternoon: E3 2018

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 2, 2018.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    At least we know that Halo Infinity will have Split Screen again since 343 confirmed the next game would bring it back after the backlash of it not being in 5. I still don't know how they thought that was a good idea.

If this is indeed Halo 6 I hope that the story is good this time around too. The end of Halo 4 was quite emotional with Cortana's death but then 5 pretty much ruined it with her coming back as the main antagonist with no real explanation.

I sound negative but I really enjoy the series so I just hope this one lives up to it's potential like 5 could have done.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Andrew WK is totally what comes to mind when I think Bethesda.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I know absolutely nothing about Rage, but the Rage 2 demo does seem to have a very visceral quality to it paired with some interesting abilities..

Doom: Eternal. Looks cool. But I guess we're not doing numbers anymore. Halo Infinite, not 6, Doom Eternal, not 2, etc.

Andrew W.K. makes anything draw your attention.

[​IMG]

I've owned the GCN version since it came out. I really don't need to rebuy it at this point, would kinda make it a waste, ha. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Embracing the Skyrim memes beautifully.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wow.

The Bethesda conference was a bit of a roller-coaster.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    How rude of these companies to release so many awesome-looking games in the coming months. I want these games, but I’d also like to buy food, rent, and gas. Such a tough choice.

[​IMG]

Rew likes this.
  7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm in a similar position. I never played it myself, but my younger brother did, and I associate a lot of the in-game music to a simpler time, hearing the soundtrack coming from my brother's room. As such I'm nostalgic for a game I never actually played.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Will you all please just play Tales of Symphonia?

Not the sequel, though, avoid that like the plague.

The2ndQuest , Jedi Ben and Nobody145 like this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012

Ramza likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    My most anticipated games of 2018 are Dragon Quest XI, which I'm hoping will be basically the same as nine other games I've played, Valkyria Chronicles IV, which I'm hoping will be basically the same as two other games I've played, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, which we already know plays basically the same as six other games I've played, and Tales of Vesperia, which I've literally played. Truly, it is a magical time to enjoy things I already enjoy.

Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh my, there's a just released trailer. Have to watch that.

All they need to sell is the tagline "From the mad bastards that brought you Yakuza...."

I have to second this, the sequel's awful.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The funny part is in Japan it wasn't even marketed as a sequel, they have a much more robust tradition of Tales of gaiden games and it fell under that umbrella. Which is probably right considering 1. it's absolute garbage and 2. by the end of the game the original ending status quo gets reset anyway.

Nobody145, Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Never made it to that point due to a double boss fight where, no matter how many levels of superiority, it makes no damn difference - as the boss' moves ignore all of it.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    My roommate and I got really good at cheesing the combat in co-op, or we would've probably quit then. Dawn of the New World then went on to be a household way of calling something garbage for the next year. "Can you take out the Dawn of the New World? It's getting kind of full" and so on.

Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I think it was a spin-off more than sequel (compared to say Xillia or Destiny). Though it had a few decent moments, in terms of continuity with Phantasia. Actually, I'm not sure Tales bothers with those spin-offs as much anymore

Ah, I remember those old Gamecube discs (two of them in the case). I think I even picked up the strategy guide for the heck of it, way back when (no idea where it is by now).

Ramza likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Lol like a fascist bootlicker like TheLocalGod would know cyberpunk if it clubbed him over the head.

Cyberpunk: "Our anarcho-communist protagonists battle against corporate dystopia in manners that inherently queer our relationship to our physical, ethnically diverse bodies."
    Reactionary gamers, very steeped in the genre tropes: "Ah yes, I agree with these things."

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not familiar with TLG, just enjoyed the snark.

Last of Us Part II was up first for Sony- looks really great. The Naughty games were the main reasons I wanted to get a PS3-then-PS4 eventually. Not sure if it was present in the first game, but I particularly liked how well the foliage reacted to the girl crawling through it with her backpack and such.

Yeah, those discs did sacrifice capacity (thus multi disc games) but they did have much better load times for most games (Bounty Hunter was atrocious on PS2 in that regards by comparison) and it was less likely to get scratched.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sony is actively hobbling their otherwise good-looking offerings this year with this bizarre format. This is fascinating in the wrong way.

Like I'm not saying Mr. Caffeine has been supplanted by banjos and bamboo flutes yet, but...

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Last of Us looks good, no surprise. The music is always good, I remember watching the performance on Spike's Video Game Awards (I think that was it?) when they first debut the Last of Us music. And cheers for the RE2 remake (though I'm not a fan of that franchise).

So Pirates of the Caribbean is confirmed for KH3. Nice to get a somewhat different KH trailer than yesterday's. Funny that even Square-Enix's own conference didn't have much new footage (instead leaving it to the Microsoft and Sony conferences). And a special KH PS4 Pro, that will sell well.

And now the bizarre Death Stranding. Still hard to tell what this is about.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a delivery simulator, obviously.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Double post but it really needs repeating: I am amazed at how poorly executed parts of that conference were. They mostly pulled it out at the end (although why was one trailer technically in the post-show?!) but that was an astonishingly rough opening. I really hope they dial it back to a more standard presentation format next year.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The transitions were definitely rough. Having to move the whole audience from the tent to the main venue with a 20 min break after only one game was not a balanced approach. At the very least they should have committed to the idea and had a special venue for each featured game for them to move to (even if it would mean multiple breaks- but they could have filled those breaks with other content like interviews/talks)- otherwise the opening one by itself sticks out as feeling unattached.

Also those random silly instrument interludes which didn't seem to connect to any particular game announcement had very abrupt transitions as well.

That said, having the lights in the real tent cut out and then come back up in that same tent inside the game was actually a very powerful transition. Though, ironically, probably more powerful for the viewer at home than the people actually there since the stream camera could match the shot exactly.

The music performances seemed like filler, though. I mean, I get the idea of unique live music leading into a specific game, but they went on for too long. Would have been more interesting for that to transition into a live soundtrack accompaniment for the demos. Even then, they sort of vanished after the wood flute.

EDIT- From earlier today, Splatoon 2 World Championship Opening Rounds:

(starts 30 min into the video file)

24. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that was not a good conference. The games look nice enough, but with the weird start in that place then the move to the regular theater, and well, yeah. So far I'd actually rank Microsoft's conference as better, as at least they were more orthodox and focused on the games and decent presentation (Bethesda has probably had the best so far). Sony was somewhat light on content. I know the Vita is dead and the PS4 is starting to wind down (with Bethesda already kind of talking about PS5 games), but still, not a good conference.

Well, guess its up to Nintendo to wow us with something. Well, Smash alone should be able to carry them, and I expect they'll have a few more things aside from Smash.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They'll most likely be focused on releases for this year, but an MP4 teaser is still a possibility. I suspect the Direct will also be shorter than the comparable press conferences we've seen so far, but they also usually have at least one game announcement/reveal demo during the Treehouse Live afterwards- and possibly even another smaller title Wed. With the Splat2 and Smash tournies being mixed into the coverage schedule, though, it's harder to predict.

A few 3rd party Switch announcements/confirmations have already been sprinkled throughout the other pressers/etc though (the Star Fox content in Starlink, Fallout Shelter, Elder Scrolls Legends, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein II, Tales of Vesperia, DK Adventure DLC for Mario+Rabbids, the eight Limited Run Games indie titles, etc), so I imagine they won't be the focus of the Direct or will be part of a short montage if they are.