main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Gaming

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Moontyger, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I had never though of the idea of using pre-gen characters. That would speed up the first session quite a bit, and get people into the game right away.

2. Moontyger

Moontyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    While having pregen characters available for those who want them is a good idea, I would prefer it if it were an option only (rather than required for all). I find it much more difficult to play a character I did not create myself, and I definitely don't think I would want to do it for an entire campaign.

Just my $.02.

3. Pandarsson

Pandarsson Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Makes sense, but you can also think of it as a roleplaying challenge. Making it an option is a good idea, though.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    OK, we (the officer and Charles) have come up with a plan to best serve all of Houston's Star Wars RPG needs. We have people interesting in gaming very frequently and who are experienced at RPG already. We also have people who are interested, but cannot game every week, and people who are new, or perhaps never played but want to try. And so, we are going to have a "beginners" game, and an "experts" game.

The beginners game will be the one I brought up at the last meeting. It will be hosted monthly, and will be a game where experienced and inexperienced RPG-ers alike can play, and where those new to RPG can learn the ropes.

The expert game will be held weekly. You don't really have to be an RPG expert to play in it. Newbies are welcome, but it will be tailor made for the gamer who likes to play often and who already has a base grasp on RPG.

Charles will be running the expert RPG and I will be running the beginner's RPG. We'll each start a thread on our respective games momentarly.

EDIT Link to "beginners" game.

5. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Are any of y'all going to play the SW Galaxies when it comes out? I've never done any of the RPGs except, text based for a couple of years in the Galactic Embassy
    It was fun, but I think this galaxies game is going to be far too much fun!

6. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    We are talking about real RPGs here. ;)

7. Briareos

Briareos Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Moontyger and I will almost certainly be doing Star Wars Galaxies. We are suckers for MMORPG's, although none of them have really held our interest for longer than a few months (most not even that long.)

However, I did have a 6-year fling with a text MUD named 3 Kingdoms. I was a player, coder, and admined for a brief time, even. Sadly, the players on 3K were ten times nicer than any I've met in any MMORPG. Perhaps we can starts a Houston-based player association for Galaxies?

8. bluephoenix

bluephoenix Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2001
    That'd be cool, we could make a guild or something... I hope my computer can run it. It's old, and barely manages to keep out the lag in ever-crack. And then we'd have to all be on the same faction lol! I guess that's why it's a good idea to make multiple characters.

9. Jedilane

Jedilane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    I will definitly be playing SWG. I already have a character and name picked out. I AM SO EXCITED!!! :)

10. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Good to have you back, Jeff. Are you joining the once-a-month game and/or the expert (weekly) game?

11. TallChewie

TallChewie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Regarding Star Wars Galaxies, if you go to the home page:

Star Wars Galaxies

You can sign up for a chance to be a part of Beta testing for it.

Cool! :cool:

12. Moontyger

Jun 6, 2002
    Yeah, I signed up for the beta test some time ago. I didn't get chosen for the first phase, but then they only picked 100 people and I am sure they had tons of applicants.

At some point, I was thinking of running a non-SW RPG, if people are interested and have the time available.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    At some point, I was thinking of running a non-SW RPG, if people are interested and have the time available.

How about a Dune game? I'd love to play in or run a Dune game!

14. Moontyger

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, actually, I was thinking more along the lines of something like Vampire Dark Ages, if people would actually be interested. I could try and run the Giovanni Chronicles as it is meant to be done, for instance.

Other stuff I could/would be willing to do: Vampire 3rd edition, Changeling, Trinity, or a fantasy steampunk game (sort of like the background for the computer RPG Arcanum) using the GURPs system.

15. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Ah, I see we have a White Wolf fan. Been a long time since I did any of the White Wolf RPGs. I might be interested in a Dark Age game, but I could probably only meet a couple times a month for a game.

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I think I already told you that I would be interested in playing the Dark Ages campaign.

17. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    I like GURPS. I've always been interested in White Wolf games, but never got an opportunity to get the books or game with anyone.

18. Moontyger

Jun 6, 2002
    Ok, I was thinking we could start sometime in September as all the weekends in August seem to be taken up by conventions of some sort. What is a good day/time for everyone? I was planning on trying to get us a room at Rice to use for the game.

If you don't know anything about Vampire or the ST system but still want to play, don't worry - it's easy to learn and I can always help people make characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.