main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN garage door openers

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TAUNTAUN_WE, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    We bought one at Lowe's back in Oct and it was working fine until recently. I'm wondering if the opener took on some snow/ice over the last few weeks (during our 20" Christmas blizzard and sub-sub-zero temps). For the last few days we've had to push the button (wall or remote) at least a half-dozen times before the door will move. Each time, I'd hear a dull whirring sound, as if it was trying to move the door. Then eventually it would get "warmed up" enough that the door would open/close. Tonight I was checking all the wires and repeatedly opening/closing it, when I heard a loud pop from the opener itself, followed by a bunch of smoke rolling out of the unit! [face_laugh]

It is under warranty, but we'll see if we are able to get a refund. I have no interest in getting a new version (same kind) of something that didn't last three months. I'm going to call around tomorrow to see if we can get a new one (different brand) installed, maybe Overhead Door.

So, post your garage-related experience here!

2. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    The springs broke on my garage door. No auto-opener and too cheap (lazy) to replace. Must open by hand and balance it so it stays open to get vehicle in/out. Missed proper balance once and had it slam down hard on the roof of the car. No damage but scared the Jawa right out of me.

3. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    You need to use the Force!

4. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    C.G. Johnson invented the overhead door in 1921, and 4 years later, the electric door opener.

That is all.

5. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    UPDATE...

It is a bad capacitor. Which apparently may have affected a circuit board. Seeking a return for refund tomorrow. Stay tuned....

[face_laugh]

6. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005

or so that was what Uncle Owen was told....................................

anyway,

Never had a garage in my life until about 12 years ago,

and then thought......gee what now........after a few weeks of ownership, was wandering home depot,
    ans saw that they included instalation with the price.

Seeing as my garage was........barnd new build, I thought,
    let's get an automatic opener........oh, and I have a large garage, with double doors,
    so, I could buy two openers, and pay for only one instalation.

I went with a gear driven system as being the most indestructable, and got 4-opener remotes and programed them
    all identically.

installed........flourescents lights.........and that was the last I have thought about them until now.

so ,

I am thinking I am just lucky, or a very smart shopper.........my ego says..............[face_laugh]

7. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    MT, I envy your garage door opener status. [face_laugh]

As promised, an update....

Product returned, refund secured. New unit (different brand) to be installed sometime next week. FYI, the service tech recommends "chain drive" as the better solution (vs. screw drive or belt drive), esp. for cold-weather use. [face_peace]

End transmission....

8. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Conclusion:

New opener (chain drive) installed by Overhead Door on Thursday. Fully functional, just in time for tomorrow's expected snow. Thanks to everyone for their cards and support. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.