main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Garage Sale scheduled for Saturday, May 14

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by nordicgal, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Just thought I'd start this thread to get people thinking about the garage sale. This is the perfect opportunity to clean out your house and get rid of some old junk.

This year's sale is Saturday, May 14 - the Saturday after Mothers' Day. It will be at Alan's and my house at 767 Reed Ave.

We have always had a lot of luck raising money in this sale. We could use this year's money to have a nice ROTS party, to go camping, or so have "snack" money for the rest of the year. Whatever.

Since people are already shopping by 6:30 am, you should probably bring all of your stuff to Alan's and my house by the night before. We will also need lots of tables to display the items.

It's a hectic morning and afternoon, to be sure, but it's always been worth it. Please post your ideas here.

2. spiralpadawan

spiralpadawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    I have a 6 foot table that I am happy to lend to the cause, just remind me :)

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I will get the same tables I had last year. I will also have some junk to sell too. Let's kick some butt this year guys!!!

4. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe this year we can grill burgers and hot dogs for lunch again. We have done that the last couple of years, and it always went over well. You get really hungry selling junk!!

What does everyone think? We still have some patties and dogs left over in our freezer, and lots of condiments in our fridge. It wouldn't take much to pull that off.

Plus, maybe the smell of grilling meat will lure in more customers!! ;)

5. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    A friendly reminder -

The garage sale is THIS Saturday at Alan's and Laura's house. I will begin setting up at approximately 6:00 am, even though the sale doen't "officially" start until 8:00. Last year people were already driving by at 6:30, and we had several shoppers by 7:00.

I would appreciate any help that morning. Alan and I will provide coffee and donuts as an incentive. Once we set everything up, all we have to do is sell, sell, sell!!

We need you to bring your stuff over sometime this week. Also, we need folding tables to display the stuff. If you have a camping/lawn chair, you may also want to bring that as well. Feel free to also bring yourself some drinks, sunscreen, a hat, and some sunglasses. It may be early, but the sun hits that side of the house in the morning!!

After the sale, we will take the "leftovers" to D.I. and then have a cookout in the backyard. (I will post later about that.) Then we count the money and see how much we made!!

6. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Can someone please call our members who do not have access to these boards or to e-mail and tell them about the garage sale?

Thanks!

7. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Can we northlanders still crash at your house Friday night? A slumber party would be kinda cool. It might help us all feel young again...

8. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I will give Jessica a call. Neil told me he has a bunch f stuff to get rid of. Anyone else I should call?

9. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Sure!!

Those who drive in from "The Shuug" can crash here, in order to avoid getting up any earlier than necessary!!

It'll be a long day anyway, but maybe this will help you out a little. :)

10. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Hey Laura, should I bring my teddy bear, or can I just borrow one of yours?

11. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Adam -

You are more than welcome to borrow one of my teddy bears, although I think I have more stuffed bunnies than bears at this point!!

Of course, you could always snuggle with Roscoe. He's very warm and lazy and LOVES just laying around. Of course, you'd have to put up with the smell, but.....

;)

12. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Is anyone bringing old clothes to sell? If so, we will need people to bring their old Wal-Mart grocery bags.

Last year, we had a huge table of clothes. We told people that for $1, they could take one bag stuffed with as many clothes as they could put into it.

Every hour, we lowered the price by one quarter, so by the end of the morning, bags were going for 25 cents. We sold a lot of clothes that way!

13. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    OK. I checked the old records, and here's how we did at the last 2 garage sales:

2003 - $252.39
    2004 - $318.95

Let's continue this trend and beat last year's amount!! [face_money_eyes]

14. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    After the garage sale, when all the leftover stuff is hauled away and the money counted, we're going to have a cookout. I checked our freezer, and we have 12 hamburger patties, and about 30-40 hot dog weiners. (I didn't exactly count the weiners, but there's a lot!) We also have about 50 slices of cheese. So, we're good there.

Alan and I will provide the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and beans. We also have some chips left over from last weekend (but not many).

What we still need are buns (hamburger & hot dog), mayo (preferably in a squeezable bottle), more chips, and desserts. Also, if someone wants other side dishes, such as potato salad or cole slaw, they could bring those as well.

As usual, people should bring their own drinks.

Please post here to say what you can bring.

15. spiralpadawan

Feb 1, 2005
    I'll commit to bringing buns (both kinds) a veggie burger, lol... and a bag of chips.

I thought I would remind out o' towners to bring their church clothes when they come down on Friday so you don't have to rush home before my thingy late Saturday afternoon (4pm). I'd love it if you all chose to come, I know you'll be beat, so if you can't I understand.

16. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I'll bring mustard, mayo, and ketchup. Sound like a plan?

17. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Adam -

We're actually good with the mustard and ketchup. The club still has a ton of condiments (left over from last year's cookout), which are still all in my fridge.

What we DO need is mayo, so go ahead and bring that.

Maybe you could bring some chips instead of the other condiments? Or maybe a dessert? That would really help!

Thanks!!!

18. spiralpadawan

Feb 1, 2005
    I'm thinking we need.... PIE... lol... or for Jenny to bring her cake... I'm happy to help with dessert too.

19. spiralpadawan

Feb 1, 2005
    I just had another thought... can you tell I'm hungry? lol... how does everyone feel about spinach dip? with some tortilla chips?

*leaves forum looking for lunch*

20. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Is that just a spinach dip, or spinach AND artichoke dip? Either one would be great!!

21. spiralpadawan

Feb 1, 2005
    Spinach AND Artichoke dip.... with cheese sour cream.... ok... I really need to eat! lol.

22. spiralpadawan

Feb 1, 2005
    Hey Laura... I will bring it all made tomorrow night and then we can just pop it into your oven before the cook out.

23. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Okay, sorry I have been out of commission for the last week almost, but I am back!!!

I am bringing desserts, some yummy brownies and the yummy cake that melisa made last week. I am excited and I hope we make a ton of money!!!!

Adam, I have a monkey you can sleep with, but please don't touch it. :)

24. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Man, I got my own monkey!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.