main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Garbage Postings

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey gang,

This is probably brick wall time, but I'll try again anyway.

If someone posts a couple of pointless topics, please try to ignore them, or better still, ignore them and PM the details to a mod, rather than jumping into the threads as though it is a nice warm group hot-tub.

There is one pointless thread that has 63 responses, 63! That's more than the average fanfilm release gets, and it's full of people saying how naughty the guy is, how pointless the thread is, all the while these posts keep bumping up the thread and granting the guy an audience. If no-one posted, what do you think would have happened? It would be off the front page and gone. That person has been banned, but he wasn't the only one, so yes, there are consequences involved in 'having a laugh' to.

I know it's hard, but just try really hard to ignore this stuff - report it (this is actually really useful) and when one of us sees it, we'll lock the thing ASAP. We have a social thread for people to blue sky about anything, so use that if you need to practice your mod skills or get your post counts up.

Thanks for you time, remember to report the posts, and, as usual, this is directed at people who really should know better.

2. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Can I have an "Amen"?

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Exactly.
    I never post in those sorts of threads no matter how much I want to attack the poster(s).
    If you post anything you're just supporting it.
    Resist the temptation - Don't give in to the dark side!

4. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Who was banned, out of those "having a laugh"?

I'd like to know what is deemed as going too far.

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry, I'm not going to turn this into a Witch Hunt by naming names. And we're also not going to set up a chart showing 'acceptable level of pointless thread bumping, against 'unacceptable level of pointless thread bumping' . It just doesn't work like that.

It is much more effective if we just let people know that if they continue to bump post a pointless thread, you also run the risk of a ban themselves.

If we can all just try to do this, the forum will at least have a few threads lighter (and pointless threads like this one won't have to be written either :)

6. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Thats what I said in one of the posts, to ignore him, but if he was a sock, he doesnt really NEED an audience to mess around with, I mean, he said his brother was on too, right? Isnt that enough troublemakers to speak on their own? I just don't get this... its almost as pointless and degrading as illegal hacking (yes, there is legal hacking) and virus-making. [face_plain]

Carl

7. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I can only second that, it´s really annoying that very useful and informative posts get kicked from the first page because of senseless postings that get a lot of answers telling the author to stop posting crap. Locking his thread should be obvious enough that it´s an unwanted and unneeded thread...

Also it puts this community into a bad light as it sometimes seem that people are mor willing to diss people who post crap than helping people or give constructive critizism upon release of a new movie or effects test. I mean, come on, 63 posts really is off the scale. As I posted a first trailer about my upcoming movie I got 10-15 posts on it. A bit disappointing to see that one easily gets more attention by posting silly stuff.

And using such threads to rise your post-number is also questionable. The number of posts one made does not reflect his expertise in any way. I can also give comments to each and every thread without knowing anything. And here are many posts that do not add any value to a thread. If someone asks how to do something in After Effects and you see three posts stating that they don´t have After Effects but another compositing software and therefore, can´t help him. Doesn´t make much sense at all. If you can help out or at least give some helpful hints than go ahead, but if you have nothing of value to add, just let it be.

Well, I´m not pointing this against anyone special, it´s just:
    a) something I´ve seen a lot around here lately
    b) my personal opinion
    c) to raise my post-count (nah, j/k)

cya,
    HetH

8. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Right on Daft.

9. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I was. ;-)

::insert deadpan look::

10. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Daft and Rive,

Just delete them. Don't bother keeping worthless posts around.

11. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    "Exactly.
    I never post in those sorts of threads no matter how much I want to attack the poster(s).
    If you post anything you're just supporting it.
    Resist the temptation - Don't give in to the dark side!"

I agree that we shouldn't reply to these pointless threads, but I still say the dark side is better than the light side. :D

12. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm guessing i should make go on holiday again, mabye Alaska.

13. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Yay!

Cya
    Mike

14. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    i saw that mike.

15. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Finally Azeem has ordered for the Admins to DELETE the damn posts. Finally they see sense

16. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    An old story:

Four monks sat to do zazen (a seated meditation) together. After a time, one of them sneezed. The second monk turned to him and said, angrily, "You have to be quiet!" The third monk turned to the second and boomed, "Hey! Don't yell at him, now you're making noise!" The fourth monk said, "I'm the only one here who's stayed quiet the whole time." A moment passed, and they all realized their folly. They laughed at themselves, then turned back to their meditation with a new level of dedication.

17. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Good morale to that.. Daft this thread has served its purpose.

*Runs*

:D

18. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    yeah i wasn't going to post in the threads, and i hesitated each time. Hey i tried to get some mods over here i pmed one and he never did anything

19. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    You gotta know when to post 'em
    Know when to roast 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run
    (sung to The Gambler - Kenny Rogers)

Ya know somethin' ... nothing rhymes with GARBAGE. [face_shocked]

So, when a Mod locks a Garbage thread, can we say that they are:
    * Taking out the trash?
    * Emptying the disposal?
    * Removing the crud?
    * Eliminating the waste?
    * Throwing out the leftovers?
    * Scraping the plate for the dog?

Does that make the Mods Garbage Men?
    Or ... to be more politically correct - Forum Sanitation Engineers?

Where are we dumping all of this Garbage, anyway?
    Aren't there environmental issues to consider?

One man's Garbage is another man's treasure.

JediTAC
    Self-Appointed Speaker of Nonsense :D

20. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    :p Hahahaha!

21. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    *bump*

22. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    // applauds Macho for thinking of this

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
  24. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Whats wrong with GARAGE postings? I resent that! I am in a garage, so whats wrong with tha.... oh... wait... he said garbage.... my bad.

Well I would never be caught posting a garbage post, now would i? :D

/Z

25. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    irony....

[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.