main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Kinberg is supposed to be writing the 2nd spinoff.

Dra--- and markdeez like this.
  2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

I want to see Cuaron direct one of the trilogy films, not a spin off.

markdeez likes this.
  3. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Bazinga'd My Apologies, won't happen again. I'm just overly excited.

Orwick - That podcast snippet was funny, where can I find more with Mr. Whitta?

Darth_Downunder - What if they decided to do a Boba Fett spinoff that takes place after Return of The Jedi, with him crawling out of the sarlacc pit, instead? I highly doubt Boba will be in Ep. 7, but they could always explore the 30 years after ROTJ with a Boba film

acroyear7 There's a LOT of talented people out there that could make good Star Wars, let's hope Disney continues to reach out to those kind of individuals.

Jedsithor So you don't think Abrams will return for 8 & 9? If not, I'd love to see Cuaron finish it up

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    markdeez likes this.
  6. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    It seems like those are cherry picked about the prequels. He doesn't like them, neither does Gareth, great, that means they're on the same page. I'm sure this will bother some people, but I think the vast majority are indifferent or in agreement. I don't hate the prequels, I just don't really like them, and I grew up with them, so I have no problem with it.

And I don't think its fair to judge this guy based on posts he made on internet forums years before Star Wars spinoffs were even an idea.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The thing about Edwards at least is that he can revise a screenplay if necessary. He wrote Monsters. That makes me feel a bit better.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  8. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    markdeez I don't know. I'd like to see three different directors. Brad Bird and Cuaron were always my top picks. Abrams wasn't even on my list but since he's doing the first one, I'd like to see Cuaron take the second and Bird do the third, with Rian Johnson and Duncan Jones getting spin-offs.

markdeez and Six like this.
  9. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005

I for one do like the prequels and Clone Wars. It doesn't bother me that doesn't. What bothers me is him being another internet troll about it, taking a verbal dump all over Lucas.

10. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005

I just copied and pasted that, don't shoot the messenger :X

Anyway, I think it's in good hands, even though After Earth is horrrible.

11. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006

So we leave the spinoff films to neophytes?

12. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    I am not really a fan of Gary Whitta's opinions on the prequels, or Lucas either.

It almost baffles me that Lucasfilm would pick him to work on SW, with such awful opinions.

As much as I thought the prequels could've been better, I don't hate them, and as much as I disliked the SE changes of the OT, I never once have said "F GL"

And another thing I wanna know is, how does THIS guy get to this point, as a screenwriter? It just baffles me. I feel like I could do it, probably any of us with a creative mind could do it. (I am a Hip Hop musician, and the art of storytelling is our main facet of communication). I just feel like he should consider himself extremely lucky and humbled to be working on these films. Yet he just doesn't come off as such on forums (I know the posts are old, I just don't quite like his attitude).

I want to know how he even gets a meeting with them, in order to pitch his ideas. Because I certainly have some ideas I would love to pitch to the hierarchy of Lucasfilm. And it would be my dream to work with them, no question. And I certainly wouldn't badmouth them to get there either!!

I would hope that he conducts himself with more dignity than that!! I do like his shoes, however. Good stuff.

13. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    One positive about this Whitta fella and his relatively short resume is that he must have had a KILLER pitch for the story itself and/or on its execution. He beat out all the rest for a reason. The line of possibles for this must have been very long.

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I try to withhold judgement when it comes to Director/Writers. Last time I was all "Ugh this movie is gunna suck since that director/writer made *insert bad film* I ended up being HORRIBLY wrong. I mean who would have thought the guys who made You, Me and Dupree *and had absolutely no action/drama experience* would make Captain America: The Winter Soldier (arguably one of the best movies in the MCU). Let me tell you the reactions when those two were chosen are exactly how it was here. People flipped out because their past film work was pretty awful *YMD got a 23% on RT* and were getting angry at Marvel for not picking somebody they wanted *Matthew Vaughn, Brad Bird, Stephen Spielberg, Duncan Jones, ect). Low and behold...the movie was kind of awesome and now people are wanting them to direct MORE Marvel films.

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Well I'm sure he regrets making those posts now, and I know I've said things about Lucas in the past that I don't necessarily feel are true now. I guess the fact that we can see he's very passionate about Star Wars is a silver lining from those posts.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not familiar with either. And if this is a Boba Fett film things could stay that way.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    As someone who hates two of the Prequels (ROTS was at least watchable), I have no problem with his comments. Besides, he's not writing the PT, nor is Edwards directing the PT. So their feelings on the PT are completely irrelevant.

TX-20 and Momotaros like this.
  18. BantuWind

BantuWind Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2012

I hope it's more X-Men: Days of Future Past and less X-Men: The Last Stand in terms of quality [face_worried]

darthcaedus1138 and DarthPinoy like this.
  19. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    We all love Star Wars, and we all have differing opinions, and I respect his right to those opinions. I just think the way he conducts himself is a bit amateurish. Maybe they appreciate his immature and youthful vigor. I am not quite sure. All I know is, I am 25, and I feel like I could conduct myself with honor, if given his position, and I also believe that I could make a great SW film that fans of both trilogies would enjoy. But hey, then again, what do I know? I'm just some rapper guy!!

Andy Wylde, EHT and Dra--- like this.
  20. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    The Star Wars site says this about Whitta: "Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead."

Wonderful. He's also a journalist/editor for the video game industry. No mention of his austere Razzie award. So Disney wants a gamer to write the 2016 film.

Andy Wylde, EHT, Gallandro and 3 others like this.
  21. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I wonder what Kathy Kennedy would do/think if she knew he had such personally attacking comments about about Lucas out there. If it wasn't for Lucas this BOZO wouldn't have gotten this gig.

This REALLY angers me that the guy they hired to write the script for the spin off has said this about George, who to me is like a family member.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    "**** George Lucas." --> Gets to write Star Wars spinoff.

That Karma.

Mod edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

23. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Looks like Disney want the spinoffs to more 'Alien Vs. Predator' quality than anything else.

And reading Whitta comments about SW/Prequels/Lucas makes him look like a rank amateur. HE DOESN'T DESERVE THIS JOB. He's a hack. I bet his comments get scrubbed.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Same. I really don't know how it's going to pan out releasing this stuff so close together with the Saga installments. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I feel it's a legitimate concern in terms of burn out. We'll see how it goes, I guess, but at this point in time, I'm not all that invested in the spin-off stuff. Perhaps something will come along that will catch my eye and I'll change my mind, but today's announcement certainly didn't do that for me yet.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  25. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Cracking me up. That some think you need to like PT in order to director or write the stand alone film. So because people in Hollywood hate Indiana Jones 4. Does that mean they can't direct the 5th one now? [face_laugh] People in Hollywood are fans just like you and I. Thier going to be films they don't like.