main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I just noticed the resemblance between Nicolas Cage and Christopher Lee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. One-Eyed Gran

One-Eyed Gran Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2014
    Yikes, you're right.

I don't care that it has nothing to do with Edwards; that's an uncanny find.

3. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    I was more thinking of this thread being about the first spin-off rather than just Gareth Edwards. It does have 66 pages after all, and I doubt all of that is discussion is about Edwards. Maybe I'm wrong though, I haven't read much of it.

I couldn't find anywhere else to post it though, and I didn't want to make a thread, so I just posted it here. If Disney ever wants a movie with a young Dooku in it, they got a man with the acting chops and crazy similarity to the great Christopher Lee.

4. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    This picture of a young Dooku actually gave me the idea lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  6. One-Eyed Gran

Dec 13, 2014
    I don't know how this movie can be reasonably be expected to come out in 2016, that's ridiculous.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why?

8. One-Eyed Gran

Dec 13, 2014
    From what we can gather (which is admittedly undefined and scrappy) there is some sliding level of discord behind the scenes of the first spin-off film.

My gut tells me that Disney's "structure" for the spin-off films is much less defined and "rawer" than the trilogy films.

Typically, large scale actions movies take at least three years to put together (allotting for pre-and-post production time, filming, re-shoots, and unforeseen circumstances).

Disney's "MCU" model has shifted the time-table to about 1.5-2 years per film; very much streamlining a lot of that essential extra production time to fit into the over-complicated puzzle piece structure that exists simply to perpetuate itself.

If you have half a brain, you can read into my bias: I don't like Disney management style, and I particularity dislike the Marvel methodology of filmmaking that has come to dominate mainstream film in the last five years.

I'm feeling particularly dark and stormy about these spin-off movies.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Except we are at the 'Production' phase of the production which is typically 2 - 1.5 years out from release. The difference with this new model is that the productions are overlapped, so what looks like 1.5 - 2 years is still really 3 years.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Plus we don't know how "large-scale" this movie will be. I have a hard time believing that it'll be as massive in scale as TFA will be. For all we know, it could end up being a smaller, more personal film.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The spin-off is following an incredibly standard blockbuster time-frame. Nothing to write home about.

12. One-Eyed Gran

Dec 13, 2014
    At any rate, I very much dislike the "Marvel style" precedent these movies will (probably) set.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  14. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    There's a pattern here...

15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Maybe a requirement for future Star Wars writers is "You must hate the Star Wars prequels". Can you imagine the interviews?!
    Disney exec: We love what your ideas for the spin offs are. When do you think you can begin writing a final draft?
    Writer: Any time you want me to. I have time
    Disney: Great. Oh by the way, what are your opinions on the Star wars prequels
    Writer: I really enjoyed them
    Disney exec: Oh.....umm....We'll call you when we're ready * whispers to other exec* Quickly go call Weitz. I think he doesn't like them
    :p

Fruit Pastilles likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

A person is entitled to there opinion and disliking one particular aspect of a franchise doesn't mean that they should be excluded - he may write a very fine Star Wars story.

However, the whiney, cliched nature of his moaning (and the fact that he seems to have done it over a long period) and Weitz's own filmography do nothing to inspire such confidence.

Beware the boomerang. Weitz's words could easily come back to haunt him should his writing on Star Wars be considered by other Twitter users as their "Phantom Menace".*

starocean90 likes this.
  17. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    If The Phantom Menace is a mistake, then what is this?

starocean90 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  18. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    If Disney aim is to really hire all the writers who hates the PT with a passion to appease the vocal fans, this make potentially backfire on them if the actual story for the movie is judged to be worse than the prequels.

19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

To be honest, when I checked IMDB, I didn't even notice that in his credits.

Being a screenwriter on that and criticising anyone else's work really is the height of irony.

Good grief.:rolleyes:

Is Kathleen Kennedy really having that hard a time finding screenwriters?

starocean90 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  20. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

I think they're doing the spin-offs on the cheap. Episode VII was Iger's crown jewel in his new $4.2 billion toy so they spent money making sure they got good writers. The spin-offs aren't so you get the bottom of the barrel.

starocean90 likes this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The generation that grew up with the OT is the one thats involved with filmmaking now.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm a huge Batman fan, have been since I was three years old. Are their Batman stories that I loathe and never want mentioned again, oh Hell yes. This isn't all that different. And not caring for the PT is hardly an unpopular opinion, doesn't mean that the movie itself will take shots at them.

23. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

I love all of Star Wars and will watch all of Star Wars. I also love all of Batman, and I can watch the Schumacher movies because I recognize that they were big budget love letters to the 1966 series that I grew up with.

starocean90 likes this.
  24. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Didn't this dude write/direct Twilight? Along with a bunch if other mediocre to bad films? Yet he's criticizing TPM, which is nowhere near as bad as films he has worked on?

Someone can hate a certain aspect, sure, but that impacts the story as a whole IMO. Since he has a grudge against TPM and probably the prequels, the film he's writing will feel disconnected from them, and this make the film feel disconnected from the overall story. I like when an author/director will take references from past events and connect them in some way, like James Luceno did with Tarkin: referencing the Battle of Christophsis and his escape from the Citadel prison. It makes the galaxy feel cohesive and flowing, instead of "ignore that part since I don't like it, thus making it seem this takes place in a different universe." I don't know, I'm a fanboy, I will admit. If I love something I love every aspect of it with my blind fanboy eyes, and I couldn't care less if people trash me for it. Is it a crime to love all things Star Wars? To me that's what being a fan is.

25. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree with you 100%
    This is why it doesn't well with me that they're hiring all these guys with a track record of bad-mouthing the PT.
    When the story comes together like you said, in Rebels and the new novels - it's awesome.