main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Garth Nix

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TC-47, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    Nix is a good writer, some of his books are similar to the Harry Potter series, I suppose but a lot better if you ask me. He wrote some childrens books and a loner called Shades Children but his best are the Sabriel series.

2. Kahnate

Kahnate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Woe! This is cool.

I've only read Sabriel and nothing else so far, but it's an excellant book. I intend fully to look him up more when I get back in the States. I own Sabriel and have read it over a dozen times. Great writing, combined with great story, and creative/original imagination. I can't get enough of it.

Kahnate

3. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    The Old Kingdom Series is great, though I liked Lirael best. I haven't read any of his other stuff though.

4. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Yes, Garth Nix's series starting with Sabriel is, in my opinion, funnier and better written than the acclaimed Harry Potter series. His other book mentioned here, Shade's Children, is also very good though not of the same caliber I think.

I recently saw he wrote a new adventure but I've heard he's not going to continue with the Sabriel series. Does anyone know anything else about this?

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    My mom bought me sabriel a few years ago and said "well i read something about this book that really said it was good, and i know it is a bit young for you, but i thought you could try it." At the time i was catching up on animorph books, so i didn't find that deterring :p

I really enjoyed the Sabirel, Lauriel and Abhorsen books. They created a great world and really neat characters.... I loved the idea of the ocean water and the bells. "kids books" or not, i really enjoyed them.

6. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    I actually liked them because they were quite dark, the idea of necromancers bringing people back and the zombie-crows, it was really creepy! [face_worried] :)

I think it's funny that when I was little I read Enid Blyton which was all about going on picnics and capering with your friends, and now I'm supposedly too old to read it Children's Lit has become really dark and macabre (The Old Kingdom tril, His Dark Materials, HP from Book 3 Onwards, A Series of Unfortunate Events, even the Edge Chronicles) - it's great! :D

7. DarthSparhawk

DarthSparhawk Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Well, Nix is a very good authot. The villain from "The Old Kingdom", Hedge, was chilling.

8. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    The Aborsen books are great, and Hedge is a imaginative villian.[face_devil]

9. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I loved Sabriel and Lireal. I had a friend who convinced me to read them. I have Abhorsen but haven't read it yet.

10. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I like the Keys to the Kingdom and Shade's Children the best. :D

11. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I picked up his book Sabriel at my school library the other day and have really gotten into it. I can't wait to finish it so I can start on the next two sequels.

12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I like the Keys to the Kingdom and Shade's Children the best.

I just started a few of the keys to the kingdom books. They are quite interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.