main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I'm Not Wearing Hockey Pads! (NHL Discussion, Stadium Series Season!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    We hear almost nothing about Philly on the Wet Coast, HNIC being Toronto-centric to the extreme, and Eastern teams appearing here once every two years. However, by coincidence, one of the two local sports radio stations was interviewing a sports writer from Philly re: the Flyers today.

According to him the Russian goalie is a real space case, not that goalies are anything but (Tim-Me, Bobby Lu, and cast of thousands being evidence of this) though I suppose this could be forgiven if he were playing well. I could never figure out why the Flyers couldn't find a decent goalie, they might have two more Cups by now if they had.

It sounds like Pronger's concussion is a career-ender, which is a damned shame. Apparently, they are looking for a good defenceman (good luck there) and Ryan Suter is their choice (double good luck)

The locals said they had trouble predicting how the Flyers would fare, as they have had so many changes and Pronger's injury. He said the Philly press had the same problem.

I wonder if they are thinking of P. K. Subban, who might do a lot better if he could get the hell out of Montreal, which is fast turning into a circus. I remember what an expert said about Cary Price: "He'll be a star, just not for Montreal."

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Does it make me a bad Sharks fan that I wanted Couture to be picked last? :p

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Why? I thought it was odd, but the far Western team players are seldom well known east of the Rockies. I was rather surprised it wasn't Edler--he's only 25 & not well known--but I guess Alfredsson knew him from Team Sweden.

I knew for sure Chara wouldn't pick a Sedin, Henrik and Joe Thornton having called him out publicly over the Paciotty hit, nor any Canuck for reasons well known to all. That screwed up the draft a bit.

Logan's teeth--good God, kid, you obviously have the money, get them fixed.

4. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    That's exactly why. I figured being Mr. Irrelevant might give him some better name recognition.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, I get it.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Suter and Bouwmeister are the 2 most prevelant rumors.

It is beginning to sound like the end of Pronger's career. Nobody IN the organization wants to even so much as hint at that, but his wife said his symptoms are on par with what Keith Primeau is suffering THESE DAYS. How long ago did his career come to an abrupt halt? It's a curse for Flyers' captains. Lindros, Primeau, Hatcher, and now (hoping not...) Pronger. All within the past decade. All captains. All forced into early retirement.

As far as Bryzgalov being a space cadet, he is slightly above and beyond the norm. He went from being a tv sensation who loved the camera during 24/7 to telling the media to leave him alone and stop bothering him... after a win...

I honestly am convinced he had the success he had in Phoenix because (with all respect to Coyotes fans) he wasn't exactly playing in major hockey city. Philly is unarguably in the top 5 or so most passionate, fanatical cities. In PHX, Bryz didn't have 35 sports journailists surrounding his locker and jamming recorders in his face after every practice, every game, every loss. There is literally ONE paper in Phoenix that regularly covered the Coyotes. Not to mention, that sole reporter only covered home games. So, in theory, Bryz only had to answer to one relatively familiar sports reporter for an average of 40 games per season. I really think the overwhelming media coverage in a much larger, far more rabid fanbase has broken his mind.

I like the guy, but he isn't winning any fans over by being a headcase, blowing easy games, saying insane things like "Some days I feel like playing hockey and some days I don't feel like playing hockey at all"... meanwhile, all we have in the back of our minds is his contract is only for 8 AND A HALF MORE YEARS...

Bobrovsky is our ace. He was criminally mishandled in the playoffs last year. Lost his first ever playoff game and Laviolette didn't bench him... he sat him in the press box. He had the best rookie season since Ron Hextall and he has been phenomenal in his sophomore season. The saving grace is this: He now has absolutely no pressure. He is the back-up. He wins like a champ and even if he loses... well, he is just the back-up... nobody expects him to carry the team. I believe he will thrive under such a setup.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Nashville says they won't trade Suter...

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Perhaps but I would attribute it more to Dave Tippett's superb defensive system. He's one of the best coaches in the league IMO.

9. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    If the rumors are true and Columbus is shopping Jeff Carter do we think anyone would pick up that 10 year contract? I would hope that he could become the player he was in Philadelphia. It would the buying team stomach the contract length much better. As for Suter I do not think they'll trade him either because he is cheaper than Shea Weber. If they cannot pay both contracts, trading Weber would get them the most in return. It is a shame they cannot hold on to both players, Nashville is playing well. I also agree with Dave Tippett comments.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    They're like the Pittsburgh Pirates of hockey.

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    But without the history of greatness.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This is the first thing that I thought of when I read "Pittsburgh Pirates of hockey." :oops: Not exactly what Rox was going for. :p

Columbus is a real mess.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Cursed. It's all because they killed that little girl opening season. I remember this everytime I see netting above the glass.

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Interesting jersey the Pirates of hockey had there.

I love the old Vancouver Millionaires jersey:

[image=http://www.kuklaskorner.com/images/uploads/vancouvermillionairesjersey.jpg]

and think the Canucks should adopt it. Sans the white pants, though; they look diaper-like.

Vancouver *has* won the Stanley Cup once...in 1914-15, when the Millionaires won.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Well yeah but you have to be 10 years older than us to even remember the good stuff. Unless you count the 90's teams too.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I didn't say it was recent history. :p

In actual hockey news San Jose slaughtered Columbus tonight 6-0. Sure it's the Blue Jackets but a big win like that right off the All Star Break is a great way to start the second half of the season. [face_dancing]

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Pens battled back from a 4-1 deficit to top the Leafs in the shootout. Crazy third period.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Siiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    A lot of big comebacks last night...

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Great Pens game last night. #71 isn't slowing down.

Last night reminded me if I had to pick a top 3 teams I hate in the NHL the Leafs are definitely on there.

1. Philly because it's Philly duh
    2. New York Rangers
    3. The Leafs

22. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    Three out of four points against the Penguins, considering the way they are playing is a good start to the second half. I can only hope the Maple Leafs compete level is as high against the Bruins. Not looking forward to that game.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Ha Ha... Cindy Crosby is a crippled failure! Ha Ha

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    You forgot that "Crosby Sucks!" chant. You're a bad Philadelphia sports, fan, MyKe. :p

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    More like Cindy Cries-baby! Mirite? lololololol

Meanwhile the NHL keeps ****ing on the Blue Jackets Long story short, Columbus and LA are tied with seconds left and the game clock freezes at 1.8 seconds left for 1.3 seconds before restarting. Doughty scores with 0.04 seconds left and LA wins...in LA...while on a PP. Yeah the extra point may not matter to the BJs but with how tight the West is, giving the Kings a free point could make a difference down the stretch.