Arena Gary Bettman Sucks! The NHL Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Blessedly, no. Bob is the future goalie and Courtier and Schenn are invaluable. The caveat in that price tag is that Courtierier is who we picked with the first rounder we got FROM Columbus when we sent them Carter. Which leads to my earlier point, that Nash ins't the only 'star' Columbus is looking to drop on some other team. Carter is being shopped, too. And, so far, nobody is doing business with the Jackets. Something is up in that franchise, and I don't have the first clue what it is, but it really seems like a fire sale. Nash would cost Philly way too much... and we actually have the depth to shop like that if we wanted to. Some smaller market teams may have to cut their prospects into ribbons to afford him.
  2. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Carter won't be picked up. Teams are leery.
  3. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think that Carter would be a better fit in Toronto depending on the package back to CBJ, because he is a centre and a cap hit of 5.3 million. There were rumours here tha the issue with Carter is that he has an attitude problem in the dressing room. If that's true maybe a change of scenery could help that. Or perhaps playing with his good friend Mike Richards in LA would ignite both of their careers.
  4. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Toronto does not need a non-leader.
  5. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm totally gonna jinx them right now but the Pen's are looking great against the Rangers tonight. Malkin is not letting up.
  6. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jinx averted. If they would have lost, I know who I would have blamed. :p

Glad that they were focused after the fiasco against the Sabres.
  7. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    His talent is what they need, not his leadership. Unfortunatly it is not all they need, last night proved two glaring problems for me. The need of a true stay at a home defencemen and possibly a goaltender now. Their inconsistant play has really hurt the team of late.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Richards and Carter are formidable players... especially when playing together. But, the work ethic was obnoxious. Not sure if it was youth mixed with millions of dollars in a city far away from home for the first time, but they party way too much. We dumped Upshall first, hoping his influence was the issue, but their nightlife killed the locker room when it came to showing up for practice.
  9. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I would be willing to take the 30+ goals and the fact that he would probably mature as he ages and realizes that he is being paid well to play a game for a living and embrace that. Hopefully, but I could be wrong.
  10. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ...possibly...I say *possibly* a goaltender?

You need a goaltender very, very badly, and not just *one* stay at home defenceman.

You could try St. Louis, which has two excellent goalies, or maybe Boston wants to unload the political pundit there.

Gillis won't trade with BB, so Schneider is not in question, even if Burke were interested, as to which I have no idea.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I'm starting to agree with the people who think Francois Allaire may have had a negative effect on Gustavsson. He was great in Sweden because he played his own style but over here Allaire has been teaching different methods that he may either be uncomfortable with or just hasn't fully grasped.
  12. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  13. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I agree with you. Turning everyone into a butterfly goalie, especially when they haven't started and trained as one, is a bad idea.

First off, that is not the "Toronto Press." The second article you claim is "{likely" is from a site that hires a group of bloggers, writers, and is based out of Illinois. That article is written by some person here in Toronto that is an admitted blogger, not a credited reporter. He more than likely has no real sources within the Leafs organization, he's a college student. The second article is from a well known writer here in Toronto. I would trust his sources more than the first guy who is just expressing his opinions and reading rumour sites to get hits.
  14. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Amendment: 'the Toronto press & fans'

15. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yes, The Maple Leafs have the only fans in the league that speculate all the time. No other fans do so.
  16. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is no hockey press for most of the teams. There's a superannuated reporter that also covers dog-racing, Australian rules football, cricket, and figure-skating.

The fans in these areas will attend if they are given free tickets. (This is only a slight exaggeration--I'm told by someone who was just there that good seats are available in Phoenix for about $20.00 apiece. Says the arena is beautiful, too.)
  17. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
  18. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Definitely not as good as the Pancakes injury. :p
  19. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Food is just deadly.

So LA goes for Carter rather than Nash. Bit of a gamble; but he's cheaper and might make Richards less of a bust. OTOH LA nightlife is endlessly tempting.

Vancouver vs. Detroit was a helluva game, though the Wings very much missed Datsyuk. Vancouver has to play Friday night in NJ, and will undoubtedly lay an egg, if I know them, and alas I do.
  20. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wonder if Burke will try for Dustin Brown? Unlike Nash, he might actually do the Leafs some good.

The 'Nucks got into New Jersey at 3:00 a.m. due to weather. They played well enough for about two periods, and then just collapsed in the third, as I expected. Luckily, Schneider was in goal, looked fresh and held them in it. Brodeur played well, and NJ has some very talented young players--Henrique? Last played them in 2009, so we don't see them very often.
  21. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The Pen's tore into the Lightning today. Wish I could have watched the game. Again Malkin was a beast with a hat trick.
  22. DMC Jedi Knight

star 1
    His second goal was a thing of beauty. My parents are going to the game tomorrow...I'm jealous.
  23. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Malkin is the Hart Trophy winner in my opinion. He has been amazing this season without Crosby, and at times Letang, Staal, and Neal. Great player.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Either Malkin or Lundqvist.

My goodness the Leafs are sucking lately. FIRE WILSON ALREADY.
  25. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    OK, I have to admit I haven't been paying attention to Phoenix as closely as I should have. 10-0-1 in their last eleven? That's amazing. This stumble by the Sharks from 3rd place to 7th hit me like a punch to the gut. Doug Wilson better do something in the next 26 hours.