main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    It is going to take much more than that Boba.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Will it really? Perfect time for Lando to mention Phoenix. Their roster is not better than Toronto's yet they still make the playoffs year after year because of the almighty Dave Tippett.

3. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Granted, but the inconsistant goaltending is a mess and now they cannot score, of all things. If they continue like they are, there are enough teams that are close enough behind them that will put them down in the standings pretty quickly.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Is today the last game Nash plays for the Blue Jackets? I know I wouldn't mind seeing him in the black and gold.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Happy Trade Deadline Day everybody! Only 4 hours and 15 minutes left!

6. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Trade #1: Montreal trades Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for a 2nd round pick and a conditional 5th round pick.
    Trade #2: Detroit trades Mike Commodore to Tampa Bay for a 7th round pick.

7. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Trade #3: Edmonton trades Tom Gilbert to Minnesota for Nick Schultz
    Trade #4: Toronto trades Keith Aulie to Tampa Bay for Carter Ashton
    Trade #5: Ottawa trades Brian Lee to Tampa Bay for Matt Gilroy
    Trade #6: Columbus trades Sami Pahlsson to Vancouver for 2 4th round draft picks.
    Trade #7: Colorado trades Daniel Winnik, TJ Galiardi, and a 7th round pick to San Jose for Jamie McGinn, Mike Connelly, and
    Michael Sgarbossa.
    Trade #8: Winnipeg trades Johnny Oduya to Chicago for a 2nd and 3rd round picks.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Seeing some of the pricetags for today's 'purchases' I am sorta in awe of how cheap the Flyers got Kubina for by nabbing him a week early.

Mike Commodore is a nice pick up for Tampa. Should fill the gap left by us taking Kubina nicely for them.

9. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Trade #9: Buffalo trades Paul Gaustad and a 4th round pick to Nashville for a 1st Round Pick
    Trade #10: New York Islanders trade Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau to Boston for Yannick Riendeau and Marc Cantin
    Trade #11: Minnesota trades Greg Zanon to Boston for Steve Kampfer
    Trade #12: Chicago trades John Scott to New York Rangers for a 5th round pick
    Trade #13: Toronto trades Dale Mitchell to Anaheim for Mark Fraser
    Trade #14: Buffalo trades Zach Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani to Vancouver for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer
    Trade #15: Anaheim trades Andrew Gordon to Vancouver for Sebastien Erixon

10. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
  11. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Nashville is going for it this year.

Vancouver's gonna regret the Hodgson trade a long, long time.:_|

Did Nash go?

12. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    No Nash did not get traded, that looks like an off season move now. I agree with you about Hodgson, the only reason I can see is that he needed 1st or 2nd line centre minutes and with H. Sedin and Kesler, that was not going to happen. Kassian is a force of a player though. Very Milan Lucic like.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Vancouver could have drafted Lucic had they wanted him. :p

Dumb, dumb move.

Nashville did very well.

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't blame Nashville for going for it. It'd be nice for them to have some playoff success.

First year since 1989 that the Pens didn't do anything at the deadline. I'm not entirely surprised. There is great chemistry in the locker room right now, and you don't want to mess that up. The potential of getting Kennedy and Asham back could have the same effect. And even though nobody really knows if/when Crosby will return, that could put the team over the top.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm stoked for Nashville. I've followed them since they entered into expansion and while they have always had a 'good' team, I'm glad they are pushing for 'great' status. They have put together really nice seasons consistently, considering they have always shared a division with Detroit. I hope they go deep this post season.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I think Nashville could take it all.

17. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    St. Louis has been ridiculously good this season since Hitchcock took over that team. I would not bet against them either. Maybe they are not deep on offence, but their system more than makes up for it.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Stanley Cup winner came from the West this year.

Letang has concussion like-symptoms again. This could be pretty serious.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I like St. Louis's chances and also Nashville in the West--they are both built for the play-offs.

Chicago is weak in goal;
    Detroit is probably too fragile;
    Phoenix hasn't enough offence;
    Vancouver is too thin on defence, and is not built for the play-offs;
    San Jose is probably too late;
    LA. might have improved their scoring, but it's too soon to tell.

In the East--Pittsburgh or NYR or Boston, I guess.

Philly needs a 'tender;
    Washington needs a shrink;
    Carolina I don't know enough about;
    Dallas is a little too MOTR, which means they could win a few rounds, but not the whole enchilada.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Carolina??? They're 13th in the conference!

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It's a tight race, hein? Or just in the West? (We hardly see these Eastern teams at all.)

I couldn't believe Montreal was so low in the standings when I looked today. The word is that they have a lot of talent in the pipeline but they need to get rid of Gauthier.

Winnipeg is a nice surprise, but do have the advantage of playing in that crappy division.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes it's a tight race but Carolina is not in it.

23. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Carolina will not make the playoffs. Buffalo is charging hard now and it is no coincidence that Miller is playing much better now as well. Two straight shutouts for him and they passed Toronto for 10th last night. The Rangers and Bruins will most likely come out of the East, which is not saying much as they are both 1 and 2 in the confrence. Pittsburgh is the dark horse. Fluery will be the key.

As for the West it is all about Vancouver IMO. They can beat anyone and as far as Chicago goes Toews is out on top of their goal tending issues. Nashville, St, Louis, and Phoenix do not have the offence as previously mentioned. San Jose is too inconsistant to be a threat unless the Marleau and Thortan of last year show up.

@Nevermind: How are Vancouver not built for the playoffs? They were one win away from the Cup last year. They may not be the same team but the experience from last year's playoff run will serve them well. They beat St. Louis last night with Luongo shutting them out and as you mentioned before Detroit can be had. Vancouver has beaten them as well in Detroit no less.

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    San Jose's playoff chances hinge on how healthy the team is. They've been very injury prone this season and haven't played with a full squad in months. I try and stay positive but even with my teal colored glasses I don't like their chances this year as much as I have the past few years.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Unless Fleury goes into absolute beast mode, I don't really like the Penguins chances past the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals with Letang out.