Arena Gary Bettman Sucks! The NHL Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Buffalo could make it, and they have great goaltending when he's on, and a good defence.

St. Louis played last night, and was tired. They trap like mad--it was easily the dullest game I've seen since Jacques Lemaire coached Minnesota. But that wins in play-offs. The Dead Puck era revisited. But I see why Elliot has been so successful there.

I suppose Ottawa is possible. Boston is salivating just thinking about it, no doubt.

I despise Boston so much it is hard to be fair to them. They certainly have a chance, but the league has finally concluded (accurately) that they are a bunch of thugs. It will thus be harder for them to get away with what they did last year while screaming 'dive'. But a repeat is as possible as anything else.

Vancouver is quite fragile--both emotionally and physically, and the twins can be shut down easily. A couple of injuries on defence and they are toast. The reason they kept Schneider is that they don't trust Luongo. He can be really good. He can also suck, and you never know which is going to appear. Once he gets a scunner on a certain team, it's nearly always permanent. Which is why Schneider plays in Boston or Chicago.

Nashville should be a beast. Don't envy whoever gets them or the Blues.

The fact is, once you make the top ten, anyone can win. It's luck after that.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Ron Wilson has been fired....Randy Carlyle is replacing him. This will be interesting because Carlyle is apparently not that much different than Wilson. But whatever the day has FINALLY come.
  3. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, well, another Burke crony. Colour me suprised.
  4. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Crosby's been cleared for contact. How long before he's out again?
  5. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I sincerely hope he's better, so we won't have a crappy Cup winner like Boston again.
  6. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Even if Crosby doesn't come back right away, today's a big milestone. The real test will be with contact, though.
  7. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Somethings never change. The Leafs still can not beat the Bruins. A spirited effort, but with Lupul getting injured and the defensive zone coverage laughable, the Leafs might be better served to "Fail for Nail." Although I do not think they can sink below Montreal, Edmonton, and Columbus. A high draft pick would be good moving forward.

A healthy Crosby would give Pittsburgh a huge boost going into the playoffs and with Malkin (My Hart Trophy Winner) they would be formidable.
  8. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If Crosby would come back and not have any set backs, I'd really like their chances. They're deeper and more experienced than the '09 team. Malkin's playing at an incredible level right now, and their wingers are vastly improved.
  9. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Leaf goaltenders would be better if the team defense was better--they should have won that game with Boston. I assume Carlyle will sort that out.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    VanRiemsdyk has a broken foot, Jagr has a messed up hip, our 3 top active D-men (Kubina, Timonen, and Meszaros) are all out with injuries, our captain and best D-man (Pronger) is not only out with what is probably a career ending injury, but is now suffering depression from it, and we had 9 rookies on the ice last night...

...but, Bryzgalov has clearly found "the peace in [his] soul to play in this city" as he put it when he was floundering and asked what he is trying to achieve. He had to make a massive, unenviable adjustment to a city with so much focus and fan emotion attached to a rather difficult contract to live up to, but he is playing out of his mind. 10 straight starts have corrected his 37th ranked GAA and Save %. 2 shutouts in a week with a 38 save win over Detroit in between. He has stopped 108 of his last 110 shots. I am really happy for him, even moreso than the actual wins for the team, because I sincerely thought for a few minutes that he had had an emotional/mental breakdown from the pressure.
  11. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Goaltenders are all space cases. You just have to live with it.
  12. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I am totally convinced the Penguins will catch New York a top the rankings now. They are 20-4-1 in the last 25 games and winners of 8 straight. If Crosby is healthy for the playoffs I just do not see anyone stopping them. Yes I am a total homer and my judgement is clouded by Cuplust but meh seriously can you stop the Penguins right now?
  13. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I agree with you Rox considering their latest streak, but the loss of Letang and Engelland will eventually catch up with them if Fleury slips at all. He has been outstanding this season and is my choice for the Veznia because he has kept that team in the hunt for first so long. Elliot has done very well in St. Louis but he gives way to Halak more than Fleury does to Brent Johnson. The return of Crosby only gives this team another weapon on top of Malkin, who is the best player in the league this season IMO.
  14. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I believe that the computer picked Pittsburgh this year...
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Crosby's coming back on Thursday! [face_dancing]
  16. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Letang is, too. That's another nice bit of news.
  17. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Of course I have to work tonight so I can only listen on the radio.
  18. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    It's okay, you'll just miss him getting injured again.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I SO WENT THERE!!!11111
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Someone would die in a Pens - Flyers playoff series.

That game was why I love and hate hockey. Props to the Flyers for coming back, but it stings when you dominate in every way for two periods and then lay an egg.
  20. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Too bad they can't be in the final together.
  21. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Fixed. Just look at MLB for what happens when interstate teams play in the World Series. Nobody outside that state watches or cares.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Hartnell with o.09 left in OT was glorious. But, the best shot of the game was the lingering coverage they gave of Crosby's face when he paused before going to the locker room. He stood there staring at the ice like Vader just watched the Millenium Falcon launch away with a functioning hyper drive.

Bryz just made NHL star of the week for the second consecutive week. Flyers are firing on all cylinders. 10 of theri last 11 are at home. And we don't even have our 2 toughest D-men in the lineup... not including Pronger who will probably never be back.

I agree about Flyers/Pens in a Final. It would sincerely turn out worse than the championship game in Slapshot. With Kunitz in the role of Oglethorpe.
  23. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If NBC hadn't have gone on and on about how good the Pens are, they would have won. I'm blaming Pierre McQuire and Mike Milbury for this one. :p
  24. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    As I watched the Capitals vs. Red Wings game last night I could see AO do nothing of significance until he was hit/slashed by Brad Stuart. Then he went on to score two goals, dominate the game by charging to the net, and making hits. He should be playing like that more often then not considering his large salary and expectations. It should not take a personal attack to motivate him into playing like he should.
  25. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    the penguins didn't waste any time getting back to winning. Malkin 5 points and Crosby 4. Bring on the playoffs.