main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Working on two fantasy teams (one in a roto league, one head to head) which should keep me occupied instead of watching the Flyers do horribly this season.

Glad to have hockey back, but...ugh. Last night's surrender was embarrassing.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rough one. Thought we'd bring it in the third period, but hand it to the Pens, they handled our top line with ease. Letang, Martin, Orpik all fantastic.

If the playoffs are a reality, gotta start beating some good teams. Off to Tampa on Saturday to take on the top goal-scoring team in the league with our mangled defense.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The Pens just own the Rangers right now, just like King Heinrich owned the Pens for a stretch.

Strange officiating. I think the Pens probably got away with a hook or two. Glad that they played better than they did against the Islanders, though.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I've come to the conclusion that the Penguins do indeed suck in the neutral zone but the Rangers are even worse so it looks like the Pens own them in the face.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    What's this crazy was about wanting to expand with another two teams? Pure craziness. Not to mention the talk of a second Toronto team has been brought up again. LOL

6. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    A second Toronto team would be a given in my opinion. Then does the NHL go back to Quebec or another Canadian city? Besides maybe Salt Lake City or Kansas City where do we fit another team here in the US?

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Seattle would be nice. But not sure it would work.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well the Phoenix move might be inevitable as the deal they had in place to sell the team fell apart a couple days ago. Right now they could only go to cities where an NHL-sized arena is ready. As far as I know that list would include the aforementioned Seattle, Quebec City, and Kansas City.

Lately in the news here there have been talks about Markham (a city next to Toronto but considered as part of the Greater Toronto Area) trying to get an arena approved but I'm not sure where that's heading.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There's a lot to consider when talking expansion. Someone needs to take Winnipeg's place in the East first off. Detroit and Columbus both have expressed interest but Nashville seems to make the most sense geographically. Phoenix's fate is as undecided as ever and if they move they will either need to stay in the West or another east coast team will need to come West and that's just crazy. Then there is the proposed 4-Conference system which would man the two new teams would have to be in the East to even out the conference sizes.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I really am not crazy about that 4-conference system. I guess old-time hockey fans might like it, but it doesn't do anything for me.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm fairly indifferent to the 4-conferences themselves, it was the playoff proposal that I hated. I didn't like competing with only 7 other teams for four playoff spots. It seemed like it divided and compartmentalized the NHL into 4 individual leagues with some minor inter-league play during the regular season.

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, that was definitely one of the most terrible aspects of the proposal.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1-1 at the end of 2nd..gotta say I was expecting worse after watching Tampa drop 8 on Winnipeg last night and given our form.

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Anyone watching the Pen vs Caps game on NBC right now? Was there any kind of pregame show? It was weird there was some religious crap on tv here and then it went directly into the game.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I noticed the same thing too. I'm in the other room, but from what I heard, we went from infomercial straight to the greatest sports theme song on television.

Edit- And why has Oates separated Backstrom and Ovechkin..Alex is skating with Ribeiro and Wolski on the right wing. Pens are great defensively, but there's not a Chara back there to provide a specific reason to split up your playmaking line. This may be something he's done all year, haven't caught much of the Caps outside of last weekend against Buffalo, and I didn't notice.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Ouch.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  18. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    And by his own team mate. I know how that feels. Of all the broken bones and torn ligament and my chronic separated shoulder, getting hit there with a puck turned out to be the painful and debilitating.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks like Tim Thomas is going to play for our ugly cousin.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well that's one way to block the puck.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Just a salary cap move. He's still sitting out the season.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah, did not know that, you're right- I just saw the headline.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    First Nabokov and now Thomas. It takes the Islanders time to convince the goalies they've signed to actually play. :p

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Boston's going to have a ton of cap space.

It's the Islanders...let them figure that out in a few years. :p