main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    He's doin' a good job making lots forget about that.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Could be he's using it as motivation, and perhaps that scared him into focussing more on hockey and less on partying.....but yeah I'm a bit surprised as well.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That's funny indeed. He ended up as MVP of the game. :p

cubman987 likes this.
  4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah in the end it was really pretty funny, especially with him and Kaner getting into a fake fight.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Not even John Scott could get me to pay attention to all-star weekend. Good for him, though.

6. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    That really was the best all-star game I ever seen in any sport.

Darth-Lando and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This. I'm not a fan of hockey, but at least the NHL knows how to do an All-Star Game. The NFL, on the other hand...

8. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't say they know how to. Previous games have been terrible and this is the first time they tried the 3-on-3 idea so I'd say they got lucky and we'll see next year if they can repeat it.

cubman987 , jcgoble3 and True Sith like this.
  9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  10. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Very well-written piece.

I nearly cried after the game when they asked his wife about his performance, and she responded "Because that's the kind of player he is, and now everyone else can see it too."

He's not a greatly skilled player. He made some legitimately skilled plays in the game, but he's not a skilled player and never will be.

But to his wife and children, he is the greatest hockey player that ever lived. And that they got to see their convictions affirmed, legitimately or not, to imagine what they must have felt seeing him turn in such a performance, is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    New aka old Leafs primary logo unveiled tonight:

[​IMG]

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Stamkos will look great in that!

13. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    It will be a great crest to wear as his talent is wasted and his career is destroyed.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Who was the brainiac behind the NHL.com re-design?
    He should be fired on the spot. I haven't seen such a catastrophic re-design in ages.

The main page now contains hardly any information at all, and looks like it could be the blog of a 15 year old fan, not the website of a sports-league that is worth billions.
    Virtually every single category has been made worse. Everything has less information and is harder to read, not to mention that you scroll yourself to death. You have no quick overview over what happened around the league lately, the scoreboard can't fit more than 3-4 games on the screen at the same time, the boxscores are not as clearly structured as before, and are harder to read even though everything has been made bigger (more scrolling). They also include a partial screen that requires additional scrolling, meaning you have two independent bits that have to be scrolled seperately. If you click on a player, you get less information than before. In addition to that, the career-stats of older players don't fit on one screen anymore. If you want to look up the schedule of a team, instead of having a properly working design that shows plenty of games yet is still easy to read, now you cannot see more than four or five games at once, without making things easier to read. The standings don't even give you the place the team is currently in, not to mention that the entire eastern conference doesn't fit onto one screen.

Things get even worse when it comes to the highlights. They upped the picture-quality a bit, but that is where the good things end. Instead of having proper highlights that show key scenes of the game, now all you get is a short recap. Just to show a single example: the video for the 7-2 between Edmonton and Ottawa lasted less than three minutes, of which you have to subtract a completely useless intro and an equally useless end-screen. Instead of having all the goals, big chances, saves and hits, now you get only the goals, and even that isn't completely true, because they left out the last goal of the game for no good reason whatsoever.

Maybe they thought this would be helpful for mobiles and tablets, but not only does it not work properly for many of these, there is also no reason why you have to gutt the normal version of their website when it is completely possible to have a normal and a mobile version for it. This design is a complete and utter desaster in every way.

jcgoble3, True Sith and Frank T. like this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, that's a very in-depth critique. :p

But yeah, I'm not a fan of it either.

16. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    The new mobile app is awful too.

True Sith and Jag4Me like this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wayne Simmonds should be done for 10 games. Dirty player representing a filthy and irrelevant franchise.

Hopefully McDonagh recovers soon.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  19. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Was just reading the details...I see why Stars didn't make a move for him.

20. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Fingers crossed for Brent Burns.

21. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Brent Burns isn't going anywhere. :p As for the Phaneuf trade, I don't think it's a coincidence that it went down so soon after the Byfuglien signing. I have a feeling Ottawa was kicking the tires on him as well.

Frank T. and Darth-Lando like this.
  22. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Let me live my lie.

Frank T. likes this.
  23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Speaking of Burns... here's some BTS footage of him and Pavelski (and some obligatory John Scott) at the All Star Game.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Eat ****, Flyers.

Glad we could wipe them out tonight to exact some revenge for Mac.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Ever try and rank all 30 NHL teams from favorite to least favorite? Try the NHL Team Sorter.
    My list came out pretty accurate with the bottom third being a who's who of Sharks playoff losses... and the Rangers for some reason.
    (Hidden for length)
    1 San Jose Sharks
    2 Minnesota Wild
    3 Washington Capitals
    4 Toronto Maple Leafs
    5 Pittsburgh Penguins
    6 New Jersey Devils
    7 Winnipeg Jets
    8 Boston Bruins
    9 Florida Panthers
    10 Buffalo Sabres
    11 Carolina Hurricanes