main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I didn't think they were going to count Parise's goal... even though it was obvious it was in the net.

Oh, and lol @ nyr. :p

2. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    lol @ Rangers

King Henrik, baby!

3. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Weekes is playing better than Henrik. [face_plain]

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

4. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Blue Jackets lead Red Wings 3-0 after 1st period. :confused: Something isn't right here...

Red-hot Flames face even hotter Ducks, I'm a fan of both teams so I'm gonna end up happy and disappointed here, but I hope my Flames prevail!:) If flames win, they'll take the division lead for the first time this season, which would just be, well, awesome.[face_peace]

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah, the Islanders really lit up the standings since they beat the Rangers last time. And at least the King isn't under contract for fourteen (!) more years.

6. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I know Sather bought himself a few more seasons of goodwill from the backwards MSG ownership, but he's assembled a team that can play every other day: the Olympics, playoffs and this current stretch has proved the team is too old, too nonathletic and as a result, has no discipline. Renney essentially built his reputation with a great start last season, but he's not exactly righting the ship either.

7. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    lol @ Rangers!

This stretch by the Rangers shows that they're a paper tiger. Unless they get great goaltending, they're gonna give up 4-5 goals a game, their D is that bad and undisciplined.

The Isles need to start to peel some victories off now that they're fully healed. That, Baron, is why they didn't close the gap between the two clubs because the Isles were without, amazingly so, their best player in Yashin.

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Excuses, excuses. Eight games in thirteen nights is a brutal stretch. It's poor scheduling to play that many games in that short a span.

9. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Well, this is annoying. I was hoping for a win after the Devils kicked *** of a tired Ranger team on Sunday. The Thrashers have always been an annoying team to play. Hossa basically owned us scoring two short-handed goals and was the player always in front of Brodeur. Johnny Oduya scored his first NHL goal tonight which is great for him. Brylin scored another goal making that 3 goals in 2 games, which is a plus for him as well. I believe Lagenbrunner scored once again and that left the Devils with only 3 goals. They lost to the Thrashers in a shootout 4-3. I think Julien really should have went with Brylin and Lagenbrunner and anyone else for the last spot. Brylin (who was hot last game and scored tonight) and Lagenbrunner were must, I don't know why he choose Parise and Gionta to start.

Still, the Devils didn't play horribly all around. I just hate the fact we are playing these guys again on Saturday on the way down from Washington on friday.

10. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    These numbers are NOT pretty

Times must be really tough in St. Louis, as they apparently fill up 0% of the arena's capacity. But the Isles and Devils are trying their best to fight for last in attendance, with Chicago (an Original Six!) sucking along. I want to bash Bettman for overexpansion in Southern markets, but the fact Midwest and Northeast markets are struggling so much means something is seriously wrong. At least hockey is still strong in Canada.

When the Isles crack 12,000 fans again Yodave, you can lol again. Nassau county has a population of over 1.3 million people alone.

11. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    You should be happy that your fav team is in the east cause that type of stuff is common luxury in the west.

But anyways, Flames are Northwest Division leaders at last! What makes it all the more sweeter is that they beat the LA Queens in the process of getting there last night. It's a good time to be a Flames fan.

P.S I love the fact that even though San Jose has 11 points more than Calgary, it's still behind Calgary in the standings. Ha ha. Justice.[face_mischief]

12. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    It's also a good time to be a Habs fan again. Last night against Buffalo was a must-win and they pulled it off nicely. The Sabres are still the team to beat in the East and will likely remain so throughout the playoffs. A month or so ago,I wouldn't have picked Montreal to go further than the second round, but now they're looking a lot better. They don't rely on the same 2 or 3 guys to generate points, which makes their offense more unpredictable and dangerous. Huet's goaltending is outstanding, we finally have a (mostly) reliable backup goaltender, and the Habs' power play is excellent. This is the most excting hockey the Habs have played in years. Now that they've pulled to within only five points of Buffalo, who knows where this will go?

BTW, in honour of the fortieth anniversary of their last Stanley Cup victory, the title of next year's thread should definitely be "Leafs Suck!"

13. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    If Calgary doesn't win the cup, I want either Montreal or Buffalo to win it cause Koivu and Numminen are vets without a ring and deserve one as much as anybody else. Koivu deserves ten rings for the things he's had to go through.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The 40th anniversary will be in the spring of 2007, so that's this season and not the next. :p

15. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    I find it funny that you bemoan my "excuses" when you offer your own in the next sentence! lol!

In all seriousness, when the average Isles ticket is under $75, maybe then I'll go to more games. Been to one this year, cost me close to $300. $250 for the tickets alone (all 2 of them). As a grad student, $300 is my weekly salary.

16. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I was looking at these numbers the other day, and noticed that in the past years the Devils moved up a rank if you go from this year back.

I would have to echo what Yodave27 said. However, changing it's case to the Devils. If the lower level seats weren't $90 per then I'd definitely hit CAA more often (or in this case the Newark arena for next season). I'd like it if they were probably 15-20 dollars cheaper and maybe a bit cheaper for the upper level.

I just wonder what the ticket prices will be if changed for the new arena. Can't wait to get inside there and check it out.

17. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    A co-worker recently told me that the Caps would raise ticket prices whenever the Red Wings were in town because of the attendance boost. I don't know if it's true or not, but if so, that's a really crappy thing to do to the home fans.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That is really lame. Personally, that would only entice me to go to the other, cheaper, games against teams that aren't as popular.

19. Rasberryjammed

Rasberryjammed Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2006
    davils fan all the way

20. Rasberryjammed

Rasberryjammed Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2006
    devils fan all the way

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    So has everyone heard about this campaign to get Rory Fitzpatrick, from the Canucks, into the All-Star game? He has no points but right now he is second in voting for defencemean. I think it's hilarious. :p

http://www.voteforrory.com/

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Another reason why fans shouldn't vote for the All Star Game.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  24. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    I know I haven't posted in here yet, as I am not the biggest hockey fan, but I did go see the Sharks-Penguins game in SJ in early November, and unfortunately the Pens couldn't pull out the W. I am a Pens fan, and Sid the Kid is leading the league in points. The Atlantic division is also very close with only 4 points separating the Rangers in 1st and the Penguins in 4th. Philadelphia on the other hand is completely out of it, 16 points out of 4th place.

SID THE KID! SID THE KID! SID THE KID!

25. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll just comment on the above by saying that it would do the league a lot of good if both Washington and Pittsburgh made it to the playoffs. Crosby and Ovechkin are exactly what the low-scoring playoffs need, more excitement that is.