main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    It's just quicker to type that than, "1994: It's the new 1940."

:p

2. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I'm pretty sure any professional sports team gets a 25-year grace period before those kinds of remarks. That could apply to over 20 NHL teams.

3. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    It's much better to shout "1967" when a Leafs fan walks by.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hey, Chicago hasn't won since 1961. So there....and stuff.

5. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Well, from what I saw of the game tonight, which was the 3rd period. Devils didn't seem to put much effort into this one. this was big as we could've tied Atlanta and then if we won against them on friday over take them for 2nd place. This just means Atlanta's game on friday is huge and I'm hoping the Devils really pick it up. Our defense was definitely tired from being played out 30+ minutes because of White and Oduya being out. I hope to see Oduya back in soon as White is expected to play on friday.

6. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    If you know the Rangers suck, clap you hands!
    clap clap

clap clap

If you know the Rangers suck, in 66, they've won one cup!

clap clap

Has Edmonton officially asked the NHL to split the 1994 cup since 75% of the Rangers were given to them by the Oilers?

The Rangers won in 1940. Expansion hit the NHL in 1967. There were 6 teams for 27 years and the Rangers still couldn't win.

Ulf Nilsson is a pansy.

I distinctly remember most of you swearing, "Now I can die in peace." I've got a gun to help you fulfill your promise.

But I prefer the good ol' nugget in the thread's title:

RANGERS SUCK!!!

7. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Yeah, they seemed to underestimate the Blues.

Rucinsky's lucky he didn't get pounded. He got his stick up twice in Marty's face, clipping him under the chin the second time, and it was pretty obvious it was intentional. [face_frustrated]

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Did anyone else watch the Sharks/Oilers game last night? Probably some of the most one-sided officiating I have ever seen. It was the same refs that allowed San Jose to get two power play goals off of one penalty against Columbus last week so it was probably an "equalizer" from the refs point of view. Watching on TV you could actually hear the crowd chanting "Bull****" at the refs. San Jose was sent to the box 7 times in a row, meanwhile the Oilers didn't go to the box until the 2nd period was almost over. San Jose played an amazing game but it's hard to do much of anything when you're constantly fighting power plays.

9. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Maybe the refs also felt bad about the time Edmonton was hosed by that Magoo referee earlier this season.

10. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Apparently you don't watch many high school basketball games. :p

You know what Yodave you should just make "Rangers Suck" or "lol @ Rangers" your manual sig since you say it in every post anyways. ;)

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

11. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    That's way too much work.

Rangers Suck!

12. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    No wonder you're an Islanders fan.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

13. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    This from a fanbase that, as I said earlier, was too dumb to kill themselves after 1994. [face_laugh]

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You forgot to say that the Rangers suck.

15. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Okay, wiseguy. At least the Rangers have a fanbase. Yeah, I went there. Complain about ticket prices all you want. There are plenty of loaded people who live in Nassau & Suffolk counties. Wouldn't it be awesome if Bettman moved the team to Kansas City or Winnipeg?

16. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001

Oh yeah, I agree on the rich part. But, still, name me a fanbase that has been more abused than islanders fans the past decade and a half? We've literally been stepped on even when we're winning. But still, I went to the Garden on Tues and there were a bunch of empty seats there. The corporate seats were like 30% empty and there were plenty of Isles fans in the place. The Rangers fanbase has always been overrated. They draw because they're in the middle of NYC and on top of the biggest commuter train station in the country.

The Isles will never move. Their cable contract is far too lucrative to leave the area.

You forgot to say that the Rangers suck.

[JackBauer]Damn It![/JackBauer]

17. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Isn't ol' Charlie (Wang) frustrated at the slow progress on a new arena?

And how lucrative can a cable contract be if they're on FoxSportsNet? It's literally in cable no-man's land, at least for TimeWarner Cable. Half the time I'm not aware the Islanders are playing, and if you want a bigger indictment, consider the fact the Post no longer has a beat writer for the team. It's relying on AP reports! And the Post prides itself on sports, so it wouldn't cut corners without a reason.

18. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    They get 15 million a year until well into the next decade from Cablevision (that was signed like 20 years ago and extended like 12). I don't think anyone else in the NHL, who doesn't have their own network, gets more money. As for the papers, meh. Most papers are cutting the NHL anyway.

As for the arena, it's still years away. But that's just gold old NY beuracracy. It passed the Nassau Legislature and now has to pass in the town of Hempstead. Is Wang mad? Probably, but if the deal goes through, he get to develop 77 acres in the middle of Nassau County.

19. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004

That's the dumbest insult I've ever heard in my life. [face_plain]

20. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Habs over the Flyers 4-2. :D

Next up - The Sens - Saturday night. Bring it on!

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's Hockey Day in Canada. January 13th. I don't understand why the Habs are playing the Sens instead of the Leafs. Oh well, we'd crush the Leafs anyways.

21. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Devils and Trashers oops! Thrashers tonight! This is a big game for the Devils as, if they can pull off a win they can tie Atlanta for 2nd place and then they would really need the win tomorrow night against the Islanders to take over 2nd place. I'm hoping for the Devils to put in some effort into this one and I'm hoping for a great game!

22. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    So I was at the Coliseum last night to watch the Devil/Isles game and came to the conclusion that the Devils have ruined hockey. That's right, the current malaise of the NHL can be directly traced back to the Devils rise to prominence as a trapping team. It's impossible to enjoy a hockey game full of dump-ins, failed attempts to cross the blue line and offsides. For 55 minutes, I was bored out of my skull and I'm a huge hockey game. Does a game need to be high scoring to be interesting? Of course not, but it needs to have a rhythm, a pulse to it. There has to be scoring chances on both sides and some back and forth play. The Devils eliminate that and suck the enjoyable parts of hockey right out. It baffles me how someone could be a Devils fan and watch this crap day in and day out. It's flat out unwatchable and itstill permeates to other teams. Thank God that the Ducks and Sabres, two of the best teams in the league, don't use the trap.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You realize Dork is going to kill you, for the above statement, don't you?

24. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I remember posting something like that a while ago, I'm glad someone agrees with me. :p

Ironically, Larry Brooks' Slapshots column today actually celebrated the Devils' consistency over the years under Lamoriello and the system he put in place. And to be fair, the Flyers (well, Ken Hitchcock really) also employed a similar system and were actually burned with the new rule changes (hence the changes in the organization).

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    For 55 minutes, I was bored out of my skull and I'm a huge hockey game.

You're a hockey game?