main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****Gasoline pricing explosion****

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    The exponential rise in gasoline prices are troubling, to say the least.

The question is, why are they rising and what can be done about it?

The implimentation of specific types of fuels (e.g., the addition of ethanol, et cetera) in certain areas is causing a rise generally as well as the mergers of the oil companies which stifles competition.

Gasoline prices state-by-state
    Gasoline prices rising despite calm markets. Prices are highest in Hawaii and California.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) -- The current average price for regular gasoline in the United States is about $1.71, up from $1.62 a month ago, according to AAA. A year ago, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline was $1.69.

While the price rise from last year may seem modest, Geoff Sundstrom, a spokesperson for AAA , said the recent price increases are alarming because of the context of relative global stability in which they are occurring. Last year at this time, he pointed out, the United States was entering into a war in the Middle East.

Among the reasons for the current spike in prices, Sundstrom said, are new formulation requirements in several states and an increased reliance on imported oil and gasoline. Also, oil producing nations have cut back production.

The AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report is based on a survey of over 60,000 self-serve stations. (The Lundberg survey tracks prices at about 7,000 stations). The prices below are averages for each state as of March 4, 2004.

Gasoline prices state-by-state
      State Regular Mid Premium Diesel
    • California $2.18 $2.32 $2.36 $2.05

• Hawaii $2.10 $2.22 $2.26 $2.22

• Nevada $2.06 $2.17 $2.25 $1.90

• Arizona $1.91 $2.00 $2.11 $1.90

• New York $1.83 $1.96 $2.00 $1.86

• Oregon $1.82 $1.92 $1.95 $1.82

• Washington $1.80 $1.86 $1.95 $1.88

• Alaska $1.78 $1.89 $1.99 $1.69

• Connecticut $1.77 $1.92 $1.97 $1.83

• Rhode Island $1.75 $1.86 $1.92 $1.81

• Wisconsin $1.75 $1.81 $1.90 $1.70

• Idaho $1.74 $1.83 $1.88 $1.74

• Maine $1.74 $1.87 $1.93 $1.80

• Illinois $1.73 $1.86 $1.92 $1.74

• Utah $1.73 $1.82 $1.90 $1.68

• West Virginia $1.73 $1.81 $1.90 $1.74

• Florida $1.72 $1.86 $1.89 $1.74

• Massachusetts $1.71 $1.83 $1.90 $1.78

• Michigan $1.71 $1.81 $1.89 $1.66

• North Dakota $1.71 $1.77 $1.84 $1.65

• Vermont $1.71 $1.84 $1.92 $1.86

• District of Columbia $1.70 $1.81 $1.87 $1.83

• Pennsylvania $1.70 $1.79 $1.87 $1.76

• South Dakota $1.70 $1.81 $1.88 $1.63

• Indiana $1.69 $1.81 $1.86 $1.63

• Nebraska $1.69 $1.73 $1.78 $1.63

• Maryland $1.68 $1.78 $1.83 $1.73

• Minnesota $1.68 $1.75 $1.80 $1.62

• New Hampshire $1.68 $1.82 $1.88 $1.76

• Ohio $1.68 $1.80 $1.87 $1.69

• Delaware $1.67 $1.77 $1.85 $1.74

• Kansas $1.67 $1.71 $1.78 $1.64

• Iowa $1.65 $1.74 $1.82 $1.62

• Montana $1.65 $1.72 $1.80 $1.73

• Kentucky $1.64 $1.75 $1.83 $1.58

• North Carolina $1.63 $1.73 $1.81 $1.64

• Colorado $1.62 $1.74 $1.81 $1.66

• Mississippi $1.62 $1.71 $1.79 $1.57

• New Mexico $1.62 $1.73 $1.80 $1.64

• Alabama $1.61 $1.72 $1.78 $1.61

• Arkansas $1.61 $1.70 $1.81 $1.61

• Louisiana $1.61 $1.72 $1.80 $1.60

• Missouri $1.61 $1.67 $1.77 $1.54

• New Jersey $1.61 $1.73 $1.79 $1.63

• Tennessee $1.61 $1.71 $1.79 $1.60

• Virginia $1.60 $1.68 $1.75 $1.61

• Texas $1.59 $1.68 $1.74 $1.58

• Wyoming $1.59 $1.66 $1.77 $1.60

• Georgia $1.57 $1.69 $1.76 $1.56

• Oklahoma $1.57 $1.63 $1.72 $1.50

• South Carolina $1.57 $1.67 $1.75 $1.57

(Disclaimer: stars in title used for effect)

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a petrol price explosion?

Excuse me...

[face_laugh]

You're whining about $1.70 a gallon! That's approximately 4 litres!!!

In Sydney, Australia, Petrol is around AUD$0.90, give or take 7c depending on the time of the week. (Monday - Tuesday is cheaper than Sat/Sun). So, 1 gallon (4 litres) = $3.60AUD, at the current (today's) exchange rate of US$0.752651, means we're paying $2.709544 per gallon, on average!!!

And we get fuel cheap. Let's look at the UK, where fuel is, I'm told, 81.9p on averge per litre. Adjusted to US$ and converted from litres to your "quaint" ;) Imperial system (the irony isn't lost on the rest of us!), Brits are paying US$5.979684 per gallon!!! :eek:

American fuel costs are responsible, in part, for why US cars aren't especially fuel efficient, and partially contribute towards America's waste production - i.e. 4.5% of the world's population producing 25% of the waste is related to the affordability of things like fuel which don't exactly look after the atmosphere.

And frankly, if you keep complaining, I'm going to bill you to fill my Celica up! :p ;)

E_S

3. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    We don't have the welfare state tax system that you guys do, E_S. :)

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    hahahahahaahahahahahaahha

Last time I filled up it was 0.74GBP a LITRE, so, thats about 2.80GBP a gallon, which by todays exchange rate is $5.40 a gallon.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    We have a welfare state tax? ?[face_plain]

What's that got to do with the price of fuel?

You guys get an incredibly good deal on fuel, compared to the rest of the world, Japan and the EU in particular.

So, I ask again, what does our pitiful welfare have to do with fuel costs?

If anything mitigates US fuel costs, it's going to be OPEC's decision to reduce fuel production. Which has nothing to do with us.

ES

EDIT: See? Malkie gets the irony of it all! :D

6. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    *shakes fist* Damn gas prices, that's why we MUST drill in the Alaskan Natianol Wildlife Reserve. It's been proven that if we only drill .01% of the whole area well have enough oil to power the US for the next 60 years!

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Damn gas prices

Guys, seriously, you have a GREAT deal!

[Arnold]Stop it! Stop whining![/Arnold]

E_S

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    //agrees with above poster//

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    //agrees with himself//

E_S

10. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    So where's the arguement that we went to Iraq for their oil. If we were stealing their oil wouldn't the market be flooded with oil now and price would come down?
    I have not heard any reports on why the oil prices are so high. Has there been a reduction in production or something? Last time gas prices went up I saw lots of stories on why the prices were so high.

Don't forget, every American has to drive our huge SUVs to the local fast food place for supersize fatburgers and a barrell of Coke. That eats the gas. 8-} 8-}

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Please. Compare fuel efficieny of your average [overpriced] European small car or Japanese car against your American car. :p

E_S

12. YadaYada

YadaYada Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Low gasoline prices => more cars => more driving => concrete/asphalt resurfacing of the globe => urban sprawl => more driving => higher demand for gasoline => higher gasoline prices in Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa => more drilling => lower prices in US => more cars => more driving => bigger cars => SUV's => higher demand for gasoline => ...
    Come to Oklahoma and fill 'er up!

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You guys are still being uber-sooks over it, and Malkie agrees. Right, Malkie?

E_S

14. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    Please. Compare fuel efficieny of your average [overpriced] European small car or Japanese car against your American car

What if I'm an American who has a Japanese truck and an European SUV? 8-}

I see the original post said production is down but why is that? I agree we need to drill in that "pristine" artic tundra. Environmentals said the Alaskan pipeline was going to destroy the Caribou and reindeer population but its been shown their numbers have increased more than expected since they built it.

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I blame all of this gas price whining on SUV's. Down with SUV's I say. :D

You'll take your high gas prices and like it, because we all know the alternative: Public Transportation, where you'd have to sit with poor people. :p

16. YadaYada

YadaYada Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    E_S: Sorry, my post was tongue-in-cheeck.

My point is that American Automobile and Oil interests conspired with the politicians to produce this economic and social condition.

My neighbor's daughter boyfriend picks her up in a Hummer (wow, now that's cool!) that's too big to fit on European streets.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    E_S: Sorry, my post was tongue-in-cheeck.

So are most of mine!

;)

E_S

18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Please. Compare fuel efficieny of your average [overpriced] European small car or Japanese car against your American car.

You weren't complaining when you pushy Aussies pawned off your Monaro on us thify Americanos..

We would have been perfectly happy with the fuel sipping Barina....But no, you and your Mad Max fixations...

19. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    Its all a conspericy we all know bush went to war with iraq simply for oil. But now in order to cover his tracks he has secretly manipulated the oil prices in order to drive up gas/petrol prices. Thus creating a clever ruse for the american people. In time gas prices with drop as the stolen oil begins to flow. Bush just needed a diversion first...

On a more serious note. 6 years ago i got a job at a local gas station, our price for regular was $0.79 a gallon. It steadily grew from there fluxuating all the way till around $1.05 a gallon before i perminantly left that job about 3 years ago. There is no good reason for gas to have risen an editional 60 cents in the remaining three years. Rediculous, and personally i dont care how much you are paying for gas across the pond. I want cheap gas!!!

20. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    My 'welfare state' comment was in reference to the exorbitant taxes you guys pay to pay for your entitlements; taxes such as the ones added on to petrol.

Isn't the gasoline taxed heavily in the UK and Australia, E_S? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

In the US, these rates for gas are extremely high.

What's worse for me is that my vehicle (a 2001 Acura CL Type-S) uses only premium unleaded fuel, so I pay over 20 cents more a gallon than the regular unleaded.

21. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    What to do about increasing gas prices? The answer is simple.

Use public transportation
    Buy a more fuel efficient car
    Buy a hybrid.
    Demand that the government gives an environmental tax credit to people who purchace hybrids.
    Purchase a diesel car and create your own biodiesel.
    Lobby for the production of biodiesel.
    Stop driving SUVs
    Car Pool
    Walk more often

You guys do realise that the rest of the world titters when americans complain about gas prices, right?

Right now where I am, gas is OVER $3 canadian per gallon. Around $2.27, which only puts us on par with some states because our dollar is strong/yours is weak. Our gas prices have been this high for several years, though. it is less expensive to fill up on a wednesday, however.

I'm going to be getting a car with good fuel mileage or a hybrid within the next year.

What are YOU doing? :)

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Be fuel efficient: walk or buy a bike. :p

23. MasterAero

Aug 23, 2002
    How much of your gas prices outside the US is taxes? I think ours is about 25%. If your gas is high cause your taxes are high then its the govts fault.
    What is it about SUVs? It it just catchy to blame them. There's almost as many sedans and trucks that get the same mileage. I guess I shouldn't fly my plane around then. Its gas mileage sucks. 8-}
    I will buy a hybrid when I like them. I'm looking into getting a Toyota Highlander hybrid when they come out next year. I'll buy one when it makes sense.

24. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    1. Use public transportation
    2. Buy a more fuel efficient car
    3. Buy a hybrid.
    4. Demand that the government gives an environmental tax credit to people who purchace hybrids.
    5. Purchase a diesel car and create your own biodiesel.
    6. Lobby for the production of biodiesel.
    7. Stop driving SUVs
    8. Car Pool
    9. Walk more often

1. Nope. The public transportation system sucks here and generally nationwide in the US. People in this country are fiercly independent, and even that translates into owning their own means of transportation.

2. That's an option. In fact, I have bought Honda products my entire driving life - they're some of the cleanest and most fuel efficient cars right now. Currently, I own an 2001 Acura.

3. Until hybrids are more cost effective, with better pickup, and better styling et cetera, I don't think the hybrid will catch on. People have to actually want to own them for the same reasons they own regular cars.

4. I can agree with a tax credit for hybrid purchasers, because hybrids are very expensive to begin with. It would offer encouragement. I would say if you can itemize deductions, then you should be able to claim it (or a portion of the car).

5. Diesel? There are very few diesel cars here in the US, and they mainly consist of trucks. Unless you want a truck, this isn't an option.

6. I'm unsure of this one. I prefer an alternative method if possible.

7. No way. SUVs rule. I plan to get one when I get married. They're perfect for when one owns their own home, as I do, or is married with children, as I plan to be in a few years. I will say that some SUV drivers have a problem with driving courtesy, though.

8. In some cases that is possible, as some of my co-workers do that. I only live 7 minutes (driving) from work.

9. Where? In the US, it takes a while to get anywhere to begin with. Even my local grocery store would take me an hour total there and back, not including if I had to carry groceries. This isn't feasable for suburbanites such as myself.

25. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    In Ireland it's about .90 Euro per litre, making it equivalent to $US4.20 per gallon if I have my maths right!

So in summary, what E_S said.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.