main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gators win two National Championships and my Icon vanishes?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediKnightOB1, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I was told that this is the forum to bring my topic. So here it is.

As many of you know the University of Florida Gators won not one but two National Championchips. A feat never done in any university.

Some people may feel this is biased, but it's not, I would feel the same way if the Ohio State Buckeyes won.

So how about it? Why not let the icon stay up for a year?

It's not hurting anyone to keep it up for that long. Or is it?

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It's not a Star Wars icon, so keeping it up a year wouldn't be something we'd be interested in doing.

When we okay'd the use of sports icons for championships and such, it was with the agreement that we wouldn't stray too far from Star Wars in icons. Three days is plenty of time to celebrate a win with an icon, especially since you've got to wear it all during playoffs.

3. JediKnightOB1

Jan 26, 2003
    What about the Peter Jackson Icon? He is not affilliated with Star Wars. What about icons that are EU that are not cannon? Some could argue that they are not true Star Wars icons. There must be at least 100 icons that are not related to Star Wars. What is the difference?

Again, I don't care who wins. NFL, NCAA, English Football... let people show some pride for their team because let's face it. Geoege Lucas is not going to make any new Star Wars movies, so people who are fans should get a choice. Unless it is a copyright issue.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Did you just bring EU into a Comms thread? That could cause the largest argument ever. :p

And I think you would struggle to find 100 icons that are not related in any way to Star Wars or LucasArts. Most of those that are not are closely related to important things to certain forums, and are far more specific than sports icons.

Also, this discussion was had at length approximately 6 months ago when the FIFA World Cup was taking place. At that stage a decision was made to allow sports icons for major events, and taking them down 3 days after they ended or following the elimination of the team. I would suggest reading through that thread (it's in the index).

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    http://betaboards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/23952428

This is the thread Marcus was referencing to, though we did have NBA icons, for the finals, previously to this discussion.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Cannon go boom

//obligatory

Eu is still part of the overall family of Star Wars so it is perfectly in the remit of this board to have icons from that part of the overall universe.

As per the Sports forum discussion, it was agreed that for special events there would be icons for sports events. It was also agreed in there that the winners would only keep the icon for a handful of days as they had the icon for the duration of the tournament.

The other icons that aren't SW e.g the O'Rly icon and the Vicky Pollard icon have become part of the accepted JCC culture and as such wormed their way in as part of the JCC as a whole. Not Star Wars I agree but they are JCC and part of this board so they got iconised.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    a year is far too long. 3 days is probably on the conservative side, though. a week would be a nicer figure, although i don't really care too much either way.

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    What he said. We leave the winning teams up for 3 - 7 days and then remove them as per our non-SW icon policy. Always feel free to bring icon questions to me and I'll answer as best I can! :)

9. JediKnightOB1

Jan 26, 2003
    Not a problem, it's good to see that Star Wars is not all we have in common.
    That is what I like about the forum, it's just us getting to debate and everyday we learn something new.

Still none-the less Go Gators!!! And thanks for at least giving it a week.

Best,
    JediKnightOB1

10. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I think you should not complain at all at least your team had an icon to start with. The Boise State Broncos only won 13 games this season and won the Fiesta Bowl so we didn't get an icon. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.