main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gay Adoption

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Mar 21, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    So why wouldn't someone be a ******* idiot for telling you not to be a Christian or a right-winger?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Such a person would be a ****ing idiot, because he or she would be making the incredibly offensive assumption that I couldn't figure that out on my own without his or her "help".

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    But if it is incredibly obvious that you should not be a Nazi, Christian, or Right-winger, what does that say about the people who are?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure where you're going with this, but I also don't know why you think telling Christians or right wingers that they shouldn't be Christians or right wingers, is going to make them change their minds.

5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I agree. I am nowhere near as interested in changing the hearts and minds of Christians or right-wingers as I am in opposing them and preventing them from achieving any sort of political or social influence.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, I was agreeing with what Strilo said about everybody being capable of imposing their biases and bigotry onto their kids. My parents were fanatical liberals... meaning they basically taught me that ALL conservatives and religious people were evil and/or insane. I don't believe in that way of thinking. I don't generalize like that. An example... there are people like Arlol who are Christian and preach about the rapture, repenting, ______ is "evil" or wrong, etc, and there are people like Kate who is Christian, but doesn't do that. I could easily see myself hanging out with Kate without feeling that had to defend anything I believe in, because she's not the kind of person who would put me in that position... and I wouldn't put her in a position where she had to defend her beliefs. I couldn't see myself hanging out with Arlol, because... well, yeah. So, because of that, I wouldn't teach my son that all Christians are bible thumping nutjobs. Does that make sense?

7. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    That is where I fundamentally disagree.

Offensive views do not become acceptable just because someone is less vocal about them.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why is somebody's belief in a god offensive to you?

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree with EBB in that right-wing views are generally something to oppose and whose proponents should be marginalized. I wouldn't conflate it with Christianity in general, though. In terms of disgusting things to eliminate, religion is somewhere behind nationalism and capitalism and CBS. And, unlike those three, religion is doing a fine job taking care of itself.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I think you'd have to be ******* insane not to be offended on some level that Christians believe you will suffer for eternity unless you agree with them, and moreover that you deserve it. That they wouldn't PHRASE it that way does not change that that is fundamentally what Orthodox Christians believe.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't just blindly accept all beliefs... there is a point where I will argue against certain beliefs (I've done it here... several times). I'm just saying, teaching a child that all conservatives are evil isn't a good way to go about things. Addressing individual beliefs (or an individual's beliefs) is something different. I just don't believe in teaching children that entire groups of people are bad.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, some Greek dude told me that I should follow the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople or else.

13. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    And I think the issue of demonizing or lionizing individuals is a red herring.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Katya Jade ... halp.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so would you say that people are defined moreso by their actions, and beliefs are secondary? but shouldn't your core beliefs at least to some extent define your actions, at least when it comes to important life decisions? i would think even the strictest form of nihilism would conform to this standard. now, in the case of something like christianity there is a wide spectrum of beliefs to be sure, and a lot of people who simply believe the basic message of jesus are certainly decent people who could be great company. but you specifically used the examples of hard core christians and hard core conservatives, implying that even people who are "bible thumping nutjobs" could still be fine. that's where i got confused.

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So funny that I'm arguing against generalizations, and you are throwing generalizations at me. Like I said, individual beliefs are something different... like, I would probably suggest that my son stay away from people who commit hate crimes, and it would be a blanket statement. But I'm not going to tell him that all Christians are bad, or whatever. Like I said, I don't just blindly accept all differences... I look at each individually.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't think every christian believes I'm going to hell, and even if they did, it doean't really affect my interactions with them. A lot of my friends are Christian and know that I am an atheist. Not one said "By the way, Sean, you're going to hell and suffer for eternity."

Yes, there are plenty of crappy Christians, but that doesn't mean we need to be crusading against every Christian we meet.

18. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    They shouldn't be able to use the word 'adoption'. That's our word.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    That is what I am describing as a red herring. I don't want to put anyone to the sword, that doesn't mean I am willing to mince words re: the fact that I find Christianity objectionable.

20. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Man, I really hate Republicanz.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So brave

22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I am 99.9% certain that you once told me that it was wrong to offend against Christianity because Christians like you identify personally with/have their ego wrapped up in the religion.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm fairly certain I was one of those Christians that no one wanted to be around. But right now you are being one of those athiests no one wants to be around.

V-2, Juliet316 and harpuah like this.
  24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm atheist and I don't think that all Christians believe in hell, let alone wish me to suffer there for eternity.

25. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I'd rather be right than to have people want to be around me.

That is essentially defining "Good Christian" as being synonymous with "Non-Orthodox Christian". Mind you, that says NOTHING good about the belief system as a whole.