JCC Gay Adoption

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    Reading through this thread has opened my eyes to my own unfortunate biases, and made me realize that I need to study more from the book of Harpuah on the subject of being open minded and not passing along any of my biases to my children.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    Just watch Modern Family.
  3. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    On child biases, I'm all for them. For example, my three will all support Liverpool Football Club. There is no other option.
  4. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    your poor children.
    George Roper likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I'd hang out with Arlol. :p
  6. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    What would be your dream date with Arlol?
  7. Diggy Force Ghost

star 4
    They'll be taught not to hop on something, ask for a website relevant to that something and then trot out opinions copied from the website regarding that something.
    V-2 likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    To be in one of his groundbreaking videos.
  9. Bale Force Ghost

star 4
    All your bias are belong to us
    Sauntaero likes this.
  10. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess I can't think of a good argument against this, but if two couples were equally qualified, a gay couple and a straight couple, I would give the kid to the straight couple.

What would you all do in that situation? Flip a coin?

And don't cop out by saying that no two couples are equally qualified...
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Yes, flip a coin.

How would one decide between two straight couples who are equally qualified?
    V-2 likes this.
  12. Bale Force Ghost

star 4
    cut the kid in half; it's the only fair thing to do.
    V-2 and wannasee like this.
  13. thesevegetables Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think gay people should be able to adopt.
    France doesn't, apparently. There's this thing called PACS that gives gays similar economic benefits as married people but doesn't let them adopt. Which is totally weird because single people can adopt others in France yet two gay people together can't. I thought having more than one parent is beneficial?

If a gay man marries a lesbian woman, is that a gay marriage? :)
    Last edited by thesevegetables, Mar 22, 2013
    V-2 likes this.
  14. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    A gay French politician recently said, "The rights of children trump the rights of homosexuals to children".

I have no problem whatsoever with homosexuality, but that seems like a pretty common sense statement me to me. All children have the right to have a mother and a father. That's not a loaded statement. It's a biological fact. Period.
  15. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess flip a coin...

I still would favor the traditional couple over the gay couple, since a man is not a mother and a woman is not a father, and I think both roles are important, even if not strictly necessary...
    Last edited by wannasee, Mar 22, 2013
  16. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    And if the "straight couples" don't want a particular kid, better for the kid to grow up in an orphanage than in a gay home?

It *may* be easier for a kid to be raised by a straight couple, but who's to say the parents don't divorce, or one gets killed and the kid ends up in a one parent family? Or the straight couple fights all the time and it's a lousy home for the kid?

Quality of parenting trumps all, I would think, FOR the kid's sake (as much as can be determined when allowing a couple to adopt).
    anakinfansince1983 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    :confused:
  18. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Mine would start with a casual drive through the countryside of Northern Virginia. We would marvel at the beauty of the cherry blossoms in May and the rolling green hills. We would discuss the word of god and never question the validity of whatever text he happened to have with him at the time. We would talk about about our favorite websites, like youtube and TFN, and how nobody "gets" us. Then I would totally blow a load in his beard.
  19. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    What don't you understand?
  20. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    In all that derailment, I'm not sure if I even gave my thoughts on this topic. I absolutely believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess I'm still stuck on the absurd idea that gay couples, interracial couples, and same-race heterosexual couples are somehow different in their ability to raise children.

Edit: Or that the idea of "couple" needs to be involved.
    Last edited by Mortimer Snerd, Mar 22, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    Different dynamics produce different results. It's not absurd. It's logical.

I mean, it might not produce a significant difference in your opinion, but the idea that there would be a difference isn't crazy...
    Last edited by wannasee, Mar 22, 2013
  23. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    You are a gold mine, you know that?
    V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I wouldn't say that genitals produce different dynamics. A penis (or vagina) doesn't make somebody a parent. What's important in a child's life is love and support...being taught valuable life skills, being given attention and praise, the list goes on and on... gender really doesn't have as much to do with it as you think it does. Here's a couple of child abuse statistics

• Most perpetrators in Indiana were natural parents; and men were only slightly more likely to abuse than women—21 compared to 18, respectively, of 39 total. (Indiana Department of Child Services (2005)Child Abuse and Neglect Annual Report of Child Fatalities from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.)
    • A majority of abuse took place in two-parent households and 37 of the 54 fatalities were children with siblings. (Indiana Department of Child Services (2005) Child Abuse and Neglect Annual Report of Child Fatalities from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.)
    Valairy Scot, thesevegetables and V-2 like this.
  25. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Not my place to tell anyone what they can or should be able to do.
    Juliet316 likes this.