main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GCSE

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Black_Scout, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    Is anyone else here going through the torture of looming GCSEs at the moment? I've got tonnes of coursework to do at the moment, I can't understand why it isn't more spread out.

Also do you agree that exams are easier? I don't think they are, the older generations should give us and our teachers more credit, perhaps we've just gotten clever. I don't think they would like to come and do our exams.

Anyone else got an opinion?

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I don't think I learn anything from exams. I don't remember any of the questions or answers from my GSCEs, but I remember the course work during the years leading up to it.

Different people learn in different ways.

3. Sadistic_sausage

Sadistic_sausage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    the way i see it is this:

if you plan on going to college or 6th form... make sure you get 5 passes ( C or above) and thats it.

becuase the attitude to my felow 6th formers is that GCSE'S are just a passport to college -so atleast get 5 and your sorted. no-one seems to care about GCSE's once your in college.

its the ALEVELS ( and AS levels) that matter ( even with lackluster alevels.... try clearing ...YOULL GET IN SOMEWHERE :))

just relax about GCSE... if you actually make teh time to revise everyday ( or a short period of time) youll be sorted :cool:

4. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I got 5 C's in my GCSE's and now I'm in lower sixth form. And believe me if you think GCSE's are hard you've got a bit surprise in sixth form.

5. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    A levels are VERY difficult. im in my 2nd year of 6th form, just stay commited :cool:

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    if it makes you feel better, I didn't get any GCSEs or A-Levels

7. O_B_1

O_B_1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2004
    For my GCSE's i did little revision, i revised about 2 subjects (Maths and History) and i got

3 B's (Maths Eng Lang History)
    8 C's (Bio, Chem, Physics, RE, Drama, Food, Eng Lit, French)

That was last year! Now i'm in Yr 12 and it is solid! I'm not going to university though!

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    For the record, I have not got one single GCSE, AS-Level, or A-Level...Seriously! :)

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    neither do I, but I posted first, so stop stealing my stick

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "so stop stealing my stick"

But I do it so well! :)

11. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    IMO its BS that its easy, its a hard time, but dont worry A Levels is about 5 times harder :p Sure they may have been harder back in the 60s (maybe) but at the end of the day we have way more pressure on us, not to mention that back then a GCSE was a big thing...nowdays, even a idiot has a degree

I got...
    2A*
    4A
    2B
    4C
    1E

Its sounds good, but i was predicted 7As and 6A*...just been a slacker all my life.

A Levels i slacked even more
    1A (General Studies, doesnt count though)
    1B
    2C
    Also i got U in AS Maths, so i declined it.

Taking a gap year at the moment. Life is more than exams though, and youll get through these **** years in no time. Believe me or not, but i did NO revision for anything, not to be a cocky fool, but im fairly intelligent, and good at remembering things i hear in class. I got suspended 8 times during secondry school, so i was far from a good student. Youll be fine, Good luck

============
    Comic Book Guy

12. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    It's understandable that your GCSEs will be the most important thing to you right now, but try not to stress it too much. :) Just give it your best shot - it's the most anyone can ask for. After you've sat an exam, I'd recommend not hanging around listening to what everyone else wrote. It'll just unduly worry you.

I got 9 A*s, 3 As and a B at GCSE, then AAB (plus an A is AS biology) at A-level. I'm studing English at Bristol now (UOB, not UWE before anyone says anything) and loving every minute of it!

13. leighna

leighna Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    i'm doing my mock GCSE's in 3 weeks! panic! and my geography c/w and maths are due in tomorrow! and i've not finished it yet.i hate exams.

14. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I'm in year 10 and I have started my GCSE's this year and I had French coursework today and it was easy, I hate French it's my least favourite lesson I hate it. Also had to do English coursework last week,
    what options did you take, I took History, Geography and BCS.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    GCSEs were pretty hard when I think about it. Harder than the degree I do now to be honest.

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Damn.

I tend to be more of an exam person, seeing as I hate coursework.

I like doing things all in one go.

Thats why, for my Geography coursework, 3000 words, I didn't do anything in the 5 weeks since its been given to me.

Instead, I just did 1400 words last night and 1600 tonight. And I just finished.

And now I'm knackered.

But at least its out of the way until I have to write it up in neat...

17. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Recently I've been looking at jobs in the Electronics field. I was utterly surprised to see that the minimum requirements were qualified with an accredited degree in Electrical Engineering and at least a C grade GCSE in English!! Its obvious that your Maths GCSE was good enough if you have a degree in Engineering.

So your GCSEs are important in some respects.

[face_monkey]

18. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    i think things are being made easier for people, but that said, i'm 22- so 6 years ago i (and most people i knew) felt that the gcse's were a piece of piss to be honest. we did next to no revision but to play pool, and granted, i didn't exactly get straight A's-but if i'd of revised i'm sure i would've been close. No one seems to be getting that most kids don't give a rats ass about getting educated, some do, some enjoy the learning process, most like finding out something new, some lack the brain power and many would rather be a disruption to everyone else. just so long as the route from school to earning a lot of money or following dreams is laid out ahead with imposed conditions

It must be a bit crap for the people doing it now because they're surrounded by folk like me saying its getting easier-when they don't know any different but the educational path 'the man' would currently have them follow. And make no mistake, in recent years i've gone to job interviews where testing is now the first or second phase. it was all relatively basic, but i found it a struggle- i'm sure if i were to be put back in school now- though two clear feet taller than everyone else, and much more of a smartarse, i don't think i'd relish the secondary school process all over again.

In closing, and not to put too much of a dampener on things. GCSE's in no way prepare you for A levels, as A levels in no way prepare you for the reality of embarking on a degree, and by the time you're working (most graduates end up doing sod all to do with thier degree), all of the above comes down to the extra four, five or six grand starting salary you get compared to those without, and you will look back and say- 'GCSE's are meaningless' Perhaps all the talk of an overhaul is a good thing

19. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Heh, it's kinda scary that I can reminisce about GCSEs.

Sure it's a lot of hardwork but you'll get used to it 'cause 6th Form's the same...Just A-Levels are more fun :D

And apparently university is hard too...especially if you go to mine. Sooooo many essays! o_O People who say you don't do anything in your first year obviously didn't go to Sussex :p

Aaaaanyway. Have fun kids ;)

20. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    "And apparently university is hard too...especially if you go to mine. Sooooo many essays! o_O People who say you don't do anything in your first year obviously didn't go to Sussex "

Or Bristol! Essays are a way of life here. :p

21. leighna

leighna Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    has anyone else found that they tend to give you it in bulk? you go for weeks without coursework, then BAM! 4 peices all due in at once!
    for my options i took history, geography, graphics, french and art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.