main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Geek Culture Redux

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Chris-M, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris-M

Chris-M Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002

My previous post on The Man, Christopher Lee, got me to thinking about other such geek culture luminaries, which in turn led me to what is, in fact, one of the most pivotal geek culture films ever -- "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert."

"Say what?" you ask? Look at the three main characters: First you have Terence Stamp, whom we all know as Chancellor Valorum, but who also was in "Young Guns" and "Alien Nation" and, most importantly, played General Zod in "Superman II."

Then you have Guy Pearce, who has also been in "The Time Machine," "The Count of Monte Cristo," "Memento" (with Carrie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano of "Matrix" fame), and "L.A. Confidential" (one of my all-time favorite movies).

Finally we have Hugo Weaving as the main character, but he is probably better known to most of us as Agent Smith in The Matrix and Lord Elrond in Lord of the Rings (but who also played the voice of Rex the Sheep Dog in the sci-fi classic "Babe" movies).

So when it comes to geek culture street cred, does any movie rate more highly than "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?" I think not.

--Chris M.

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Chris, your beating will be waiting for you upon your arrival to Dallas. ;)

3. Chris-M

Nov 11, 2002
    You don't have to be gay to love Abba. :D

--Chris M.

4. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    You don't have to be gay to love Abba.

Yeah but it helps.

To your previous Geek Culture posting, and in light of the direction this thread is heading, how about Peter O'Toole (no offence) as Albus Dumbledore. He's got that former hard drinker sepulchral look about him and generally looks like hell. Lee seems to vigorous and healthy for the part.

5. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Does this give new meaning to "Kneel before Zod!"?

6. Chris-M

Nov 11, 2002
    You don't have to be gay to love Abba. :D

Yeah but it helps.

I was waiting for someone to say that. Didn't take long. :)

--Chris M.

7. Chris-M

Nov 11, 2002
    Does this give new meaning to "Kneel before Zod!"?

I was trying to figure out a way to work in my own "Kneel before Zod!" reference but couldn't figure out a way to do it without it sounding super-gay. I shoulda known...

--Chris M.

8. Chris-M

Nov 11, 2002
    Tim, is Peter O'Toole still alive??

He might be a good choice, although last time I saw him he looked pretty bad.

--Chris M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.