main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [GEEK] Fun with Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Anyone else have one (or more) of these amazing little things?

Tiny computer, linux based, size of a credit card. 4x USB, HDMI out, audio out, micro-SD card as memory / OS.

Got two B+ versions yesterday. Have one set up as a PLEX media receiver to turn an old monitor into a TV.

Kids have one we might set up as a MAME retro arcade box.

I just contributed to the robotics kit kickstarter for the kids that runs off them, and the plan is to integrate with LEGO power functions to automate a train set layout.

Lots of fun! Now, let the predictable punnage begin...

Debo likes this.
  2. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Post editing not working. Rasperri Pis were developed and made in the UK. They cost under US$30 to buy.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Intriguing. My first thought always is: What's the use. I thought that way about iPhone, iPad, et cetera. I'm a true visionary in that field. Though it's getting better, a bit.

The thing looks like a trap though. Step on it at night barefoot and you're dead.

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    That's awesome jp! I've thought about getting one and playing with it in my free time, but so far I haven't.

jp-30 likes this.
  5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I wisely bought cases to fit them in too, for when I'm walking across my desk barefoot at night.

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Worked with one of these about a year ago. Neat little things and I've been looking at getting one only to realize that I probably don't have the time I want to really work on one.

jp-30 likes this.
  7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    New model announced / released today!

:eek:

8. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    You know, I just bought a B+ over the weekend, so clearly my timing couldn't have been better :p I haven't done much more than set it up and start familiarizing myself with it, but it's pretty cool so far!

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Worse timing than me, even. :p

I have one of my B+'s set up as a PLEX client for streaming video to an old plasma TV in the garage. The 2nd I have just installed PiPlay on for retro gaming emulation but am still configuring it for gamepad and uploading ROMS etc. I will swap that out to the new Pi2 model when it arrives as the speed will make the emulation much better. I'll use the 2nd B+ as another PLEX client for the bedroom.

I'll get second Pi2 before the robotics kickstarter kit turns up in May.