main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Geles VI - Ice Planet Texture Map

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by diabloblanco17, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Look, I made another one. This one was created from, ironically enough, a hi-res image of the Sahara desert. Just a bit of playing around with the selective color, equalize, and invert adjustments, and voila! Actually, it still took a few hours of rearranging the topography after that.

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/alt/3d-duckboy/Geles_VI_Profile.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/alt/3d-duckboy/Geles_VI_Final.jpg]

I may release this one for public consumption, since I don't really see a place for it in the fanfilm I'm working on. I'll have to consult with the producer, though.

2. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Very nice again...

I have put mine on the backburner for now... got a ton of other stuff going on.

Keep it up diablo

3. RylorTaduri

RylorTaduri Jedi Master star 2

Sep 2, 2002
    Amazing!!! I LOVE your texture...!!!!

BTW, how did you make the water effect?

4. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    d00d that is really nice, I would want to visit ;)

the only problem I have is that it would look more real without the text ;) :)

5. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    I didn't "make" any of the texture, per se. It's really just a bunch of adjestments followed by extensive use of the clone stamp tool. But I'll do a quick walkthrough of how I created the map for you.

First, you need to play around with the selctive color tool. Wash out the image a little bit, and get a good contrast between the rocky areas and the dunes. The lower left corner isn't going to come out quite right, so just ignore it. Once the rocky outcroppings are green to black, and the dunes around them are red and tan, and eventually going to white, equalize the image to produce more contrast. This should emphasize the effect I think you're talking about. Then invert the image to get a nice range of whites, grays, blues, and some darker tones in places. Now you have your texture base.

(Note: The process above was completely random: I started out with no idea as to what I was doing. So if you want to make something more original, just find a good image to start with, and then fool around until you've got something that looks cool. I just stumbled on mine by accident.)

After you've got the texture base, you can use it to fill up your planet texture map. Just use the clone stamp tool to transfer entire sections onto the map, and then mix and match. Then make sure everything is seamless, which includes using the offset filter to move the sides of the map into the middle. Then make sure the sides fit together well, and that's it. You've created your very own planet.

Good luck.

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Looks cool(pun intended). Good job!

7. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    Here's an image of the planet composited with a bunch of others.

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/alt/3d-duckboy/Planetary_Composite_Final.jpg]

8. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    On a slightly different note, I got bored and decided to wipe out all life on Earth.

>_>

<_<

In Photoshop. I started with France, of course.

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/alt/3d-duckboy/France_PWNED.jpg]

Disclaimer: I mean absolutely no offense to anyone from France on this board, including but not limited to Dr. Jones and bobabert. It could just as well be Germany, or somewhere in the Middle East. France just came to mind first.

9. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    lol... they were a good people.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    No they weren't :p

11. RylorTaduri

Sep 2, 2002
    Hey Diablo, just as a sidenote, I don't know if the name Geles was intended as a pun, 'cause in french, the word "gelé" means "frozen"! :p

12. RylorTaduri

Sep 2, 2002
    BTW where did you get the original sahara pic?

13. diabloblanco17

Dec 8, 2002
    Geles was indeed derived from the French word "gele." Not quite as a pun, though. Just seemed appropriate.

And the Sahara pic was at Visible Earth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.