main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Age Discrimination on the Boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TARATR, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm on the side that there isn't age discrimination - just maturity discrimination.

2. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/16580603/p3

sape ^

I was flamed because of my age and called a " little kid " in this thread , a mod even posted on the same page as the flame and no action was taken . I was also flamed an astounding 62 ( I counted ) times throughout the duration in that thread and no action was ever taken .

I think its unjust . I once posted that a thread about cancer in 3SA should be locked and got banned , yet people can call me a urinal cake and a little kid and no action is taken [face_plain]

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Obi-Zahn Kenobi, I read the comment in question and I agree with you. It is an age-discrimination comment. But, the problem is it was made on July 12th and today is August 4th. So my question was did anyone PM a CT forum mod about it when it happened? If not, then why not? I can't take disciplinary action now for something that old. I will talk to the user so they're made aware. Everyone shares a responsibility to report problems. We can't see everything. If you see something and don't report it, who's at fault if nothing's done? So that was one comment by one user in one thread from a month ago.

*Okay, I read those. Did you tell anyone to stop or that it was bothering you? Did you report this to any JCC mod, a heavily moderated forum, or is it just now in Comms that we're hearing about it? If you amassed over 60 comments towards you that you didn't like and didn't address it or even let it be known you were mad, why wait so long? By not saying anything, the message it sends is everyone's having fun and it's playful ribbing par for the course of the JCC. Can you see how that message might come across by not saying anything?

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    You wanted examples; I gave you one. I don't really care about the comment.

But I did PM TwilekJedi about it and he did nothing.

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Then you need to address that SPECIFICALLY with that moderator.

Regarding the 3SA comment, are you presenting the entire picture? I don't remember that. Can it be that you had a series of locked threads or items in your own notes, were warned that if it continues you'd get banned, you created an off-forum thread and were subsequently banned....and from your perspective you were banned for making one bad thread?

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Personally, I don't see anything actionable in the post Zahn linked. No one here is obligated not to discount any opinion based on whatever criteria he or she wants to use. I can dismiss an opinion because a user is a girl, European, too young, too old, fat, ugly, or stupid, just as I can dismiss a bowl of porridge for similar reasons. If I disgaree with someone, I can disagree on any basis I choose. Once that becomes an actionable offense in the eyes of the mods, then you people are finally going to be living up to the Thought Police criticisms so many of the tin-foil-hat crowd throw around in Comms.

As for the case cited by Zahn's link, I would have dismissed that particular user based on his pathetic, sad, egregious, and uneducated use of grammar.

AYBABTU

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    As a Comms mod what I have to do is take the initial "OMG the sky is falling...the problems are big and huge and everywhere...fix it now" down to "in this thread someone posted this comment and again over in this forum, could you please help?".

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Personally, I don't see anything actionable in the post Zahn linked. No one here is obligated not to discount any opinion based on whatever criteria he or she wants to use. I can dismiss an opinion because a user is a girl, European, too young, too old, fat, ugly, or stupid, just as I can dismiss a bowl of porridge for similar reasons. If I disgaree with someone, I can disagree on any basis I choose. Once that becomes an actionable offense in the eyes of the mods, then you people are finally going to be living up to the Thought Police criticisms so many of the tin-foil-hat crowd throw around in Comms.

As for the case cited by Zahn's link, I would have dismissed that particular user based on his pathetic, sad, egregious, and uneducated use of grammar.

Yeah. I really don't think that he should have been punished for saying stuff about my age. However, I didn't appreciate his comments about how I shouldn't reproduce. [face_plain]

Sape, I was just giving an exmaple like you asked. I don't really care if anyone does anything about it. After all, it was a few weeks ago, and I dismissed his argument for the reason that AYBABTU stated.

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No, because it wasn't done. Typically late 20s people wouldn't want to hang out with 16 year olds - they have little in common. I had friends my own age who I could hang out with and share similar interests. When I was 18 I had a few friends in their early 20s, but when I was with them I'd be hesitant to open my mouth in fear of saying something stupid.

Of course it wasn't done. But this is the internet. You chose to agree to the TOS when you signed up here, just like everyone else. This place allows younger folks to communicate with older ones. You agreed to allow it to happen when you signed up here, malkie, i don't care what you say.

You are far too quick to play the 'age-discrimination' card - but if you will make foolish comments then older, sharper witted people on the JCC will make fun at your expense.

Am i really too quick to play that card? It doesen't seem so to me. You said it yourself, "children should be seen and not heard".

And why would a JCC mod threaten me to be bashed in my later years on the JCC? Very interesting, indeed. It kind of makes me wonder... I'm not very witty, obviously. I never claimed to be. You can arrange anything you want with your DB buddies, malkie. It's really nothing i've never faced before.

Roll with the punches and learn sometime, because believe me, you'll be doing the same thing in a few years time. Its all too easy to push the buttons of a young teenager who is acting 'bigger than his breeches' (nods to Jim for the expression).

[face_laugh]

And why would i ever want to "roll with the punches"? This is the internet. I've been bashed plenty of times, so why should i care what others think of me? I'm only arguing this for what applies to the policies here on the boards alone.

No-one pokes fun at them because they don't say silly things. Try to be more like them and you are less likely to be on the receiving end of JC humour.

No, thanks. I'd rather say "silly things" as opposed to being in your little cliché.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "No, thanks. I'd rather say "silly things" as opposed to being in your little cliché."

I think you mean clique, not cliché.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I have been flamed by AYBABTU at least twice in JCC. He prefers to debate my age rather then the topic at hand. Ironic that in a thread about age...he prefers to debate Carter. Real funny how that works out.

-Seldon

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I demand that the Administration take action against Darth-Seldon for his libelous and baseless accusation. If, in the opinion of the Administration, I have flamed, then action should be taken against me. If I have not, then he should be punished for his blatant and insidious lies.

AYBABTU

13. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Regarding the 3SA comment, are you presenting the entire picture? I don't remember that. Can it be that you had a series of locked threads or items in your own notes, were warned that if it continues you'd get banned, you created an off-forum thread and were subsequently banned....and from your perspective you were banned for making one bad thread?

no SOMEONE ELSE posted the cancer thread , in the cancer thread I posted that it should be locked and I got banned .

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I think you mean clique, not cliché.

Good call. [face_laugh]

I have been flamed by AYBABTU at least twice in JCC. He prefers to debate my age rather then the topic at hand. Ironic that in a thread about age...he prefers to debate Carter. Real funny how that works out.

Yeah. It's his nature to flame.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    For those who are making points with socks, please stop. I got the idea with the initial post by the author.

16. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

More inflammatory and baseless attacks from kids who are too young to remember when Reagan was shot. I demand that this situation be addressed immediately.

AYBABTU

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    These tenuous (that's means sketchy to all you kiddos) accusations of flaming are really getting out of hand. Disagreeing vehemently (really, really strongly, youngins) with your position and points out the fallacy of your argument does not constitute flaming.

Man, good thing this isn't the recessed Carter Administration or you guys would've been banned for libel already.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm not entirely sure how referring to someone's age is ever a flame.

Sapient - you are 30 ! (omg, I'm banned!)

Just as "I don't think you can fully appreciate the effect Maggie had on the industrial economy because you didn't live through it and see the picket lines on TV every day for 6 months" isn't a flame either.

Similarly "I don't think you can fully appreciate the beauty of Victoria Falls until you get to see it" is not a flame.

If someone posts "Catwoman is crap" without actually seeing the movie you might question their opinion. Someone who said "Catwoman is crap" just because someone told them it was is just as questionable.

Sape is clearly shown though that no-one has been able to link to this huge problem that apparently exists.

p.s. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa - if you are going to make snide comments about off-site affliations then please make sure the person you are talking about actually has any off-site affliation ;)

19. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    I am 16, and I feel like I am welcomed with a warm heart. It all depends on how you act, and how mature you are. If you post pics bragging about your girlfriend and that you guys have sex although you are only 14, don't expect people are going to give you a warm welcome.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    sithsarbad, seeing you post in this thread brings warm feelings to my heart.

21. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    Thanks Darth..I just think it is all in the way you act, just as it is in life..

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wisdom knows no age.

Neither does stupidity.

Older folks might not agree with you. Get over it. And btw, i have noticed that the door swings both ways, younger people think they don't have to listen to anything an older person says for any reason ranging from an 'oudated point of view' to just flat out rebellion wether they are right or wrong.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As far as the JC rules and the administration's attitude towards age, there is no discrimination at all. However, I have been attacked by other users because of my age; I admit sometimes it was because I typed something immature or stupid, but other times it was for absolutely no reason other than the fact the person disagreed with my arguments, and tried to somehow invalidate my opinion by using my age against me. Usually I ignore it as an idiotic bias and pay no attention as long as the person doesn't persist in his attacks(which never has happened to me). If the baseless attacks did persist, I would simply contact a mod and they would act accordingly. One can't control another person's biases, so I don't see how the administration can do anything about "age discrimination" specifically.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    p.s. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa - if you are going to make snide comments about off-site affliations then please make sure the person you are talking about actually has any off-site affliation

My accusations aren't exactly baseless. :p

I am 16, and I feel like I am welcomed with a warm heart. It all depends on how you act, and how mature you are. If you post pics bragging about your girlfriend and that you guys have sex although you are only 14, don't expect people are going to give you a warm welcome.

Erm...i doubt someone would first claim they're 16 and then claim they're 14 when they have sex...

Older folks might not agree with you. Get over it. And btw, i have noticed that the door swings both ways, younger people think they don't have to listen to anything an older person says for any reason ranging from an 'oudated point of view' to just flat out rebellion wether they are right or wrong.

Could that possibly be because older people have no authority here? I couldn't care less if anyone agreed with my beliefs, i just think that young people that have opinions on issues should be able to discuss them with older adults.

I'm friends with at least 5 or 6 adults that are 5-10 years older than me. They take my views on issues out in the world the same as they do each others, i see no reason why there shouldn't be that kind of thing going on these boards for everyone. Just because someone wasn't alive, scraping the dirt off of their bed during the Depression doesen't mean we can't express our views on current affairs in the world. Also, as Seldon said, even if we do discuss 30-year-old issues, our minds aren't as clouded.

As far as the JC rules and the administration's attitude towards age, there is no discrimination at all. However, I have been attacked by other users because of my age; I admit sometimes it was because I typed something immature or stupid, but other times it was for absolutely no reason other than the fact the person disagreed with my arguments, and tried to somehow invalidate my opinion by using my age against me. Usually I ignore it as an idiotic bias and pay no attention as long as the person doesn't persist in his attacks(which never has happened to me). If the baseless attacks did persist, I would simply contact a mod and they would act accordingly. One can't control another person's biases, so I don't see how the administration can do anything about "age discrimination" specifically.

Of course. The administration can't do anything here, it's all up the individual user.

25. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    Erm...i doubt someone would first claim they're 16 and then claim they're 14 when they have sex...

You may want to read my post a little more carefully. The 14 year old I was referring to was Comet, not my-self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.