[GEN] Age Discrimination on the Boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TARATR, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Master

star 6

"And Egypt has been at peace ever since Carter."

I had an ex-girlfriend that started getting fat in 1994, but that doesn't mean Clinton made her fat.

AYBABTU

2. comet1440 Jedi Master

star 4
    What do you want to come of Sapient investigating? If you want bannings say so.

I didnt want bannings but since you have brought it up I have re-thought the situation .

I want bannings .

3. Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling

star 6
  4. SLR Jedi Knight

star 5
    I think age is pretty irrelevant on the boards. There are many teenagers on these boards that I find to be quite intelligent, charming, witty and all around good posters. There are others that are quite immature and annoying. Their own behavior is what brings people to question their age and maturity.

As for Seldon and Darth_Guy, I don't think those flames of age you get is discriminatory. Those are the results of certain users, on both sides of the political aisle, who resort to flaming and belittling posters that don't share their viewpoints and ideology. Unfortunately, there are users here that would rather belittle the posters they don't agree w/ rather than discussing the merits. For example if you say, "X was a good president". There are some users that instead of saying why they don't think "X was a good president" will resort to attacking the original poster for their age or calling them ignorant or uninformed.

As Sapient said, if someone attacks you in a discussion because of your age or calls you uninformed or ignorant or stupid, you should just contact a mod.

Seldon and Darth_Guy, I wouldn't let the actions of a few posters who would attack you regardless of your age to ruin the boards for you or to think that age discrimination exists here.
  5. comet1440 Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Shouldn't that give you a hint, Comet?
  7. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
  8. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    Comet, I thought you didn't care what we thought??
  9. Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling

star 6
    You can also add about 237 more flames if you would pay attention to the "subject line". [face_plain]
  10. BaronFel88 Jedi Knight

star 7
  11. Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master

star 4
    Yesterday I thought this thread was funny. Today I think it's hillarious. I tried to come in and be somewhat serious, but it's just not working anymore. [face_laugh]

edit: I should really pay attention to which name I'm using. :p
  12. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    Everything that comet has pointed out, I do not think were flams. There were posts that basically said what he asked for. He baits people, and people see right trough that. And comet, I know you wont reply to this question, but did you ever ask your "girlfriends" parents how they felt about you posting pics of their child on the internet and bragging about how you have had sex with her???? Just curious.....
  13. royalguard96 Jedi Knight

star 5
    *hears the sound of the train officially leaving the tracks, crashing into another train*
  14. SLR Jedi Knight

star 5
    best.thread.ever.
  15. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Grrr stupid JC... I had a medium sized post and i went to hit post and it logged me out and i lost my post.

Comet... for someone who claims to know the rules, you're doing a pretty poor job of following them.

If you think you are being flamed, PM a mod. Not two months after the fact, but while it is occurring, or within 24 hours or something. And PM a mod of the forum. For borderline stuff like this (and I mean really borderline), you should always try to find a forum mod. Other mods might be hesitant to do anything.

Lists like this, and derailing a comms discussion thread into your complaints about how you were flames 6 weeks ago is pointless.
  16. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    It really is. This is one of the best threads I have ever been apart of....
  17. Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling

star 6

And comet, I know you wont reply to this question, but did you ever ask your "girlfriends" parents how they felt about you posting pics of their child on the internet and bragging about how you have had sex with her???? Just curious..... :eek:

sithsarebad, has just turned out the lights. =D=

Comet, don't limit me to just 14 "flames". (I call it harmless banter)

Add me to your WUL to see the rest...

18. SLR Jedi Knight

star 5
    Droideka, the funniest part is none of the things he is referring to are even flames.
  19. comet1440 Jedi Master

star 4
    I stand by my list 100% , more users will be added tomorrow .

I know you wont reply to this question, but did you ever ask your "girlfriends" parents how they felt about you posting pics of their child on the internet and bragging about how you have had sex with her???? Just curious.....

No I havent .
  20. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    Why not??? I am sure you will get a hell of a lot more beef from them, then you have been getting from us.....
  21. SLR Jedi Knight

star 5
    oooh, I'm so excited... I wonder if people in the '50s got this excited by McCarthy's lists.
  22. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Droideka, the funniest part is none of the things he is referring to are even flames.

Yeah, I know. That's why i said "really borderline." To some people they might be. But definitely not bannable offenses weeks after the fact.

What really needed to be done was for Comet to say "Hey guys, this isn't funny. I don't appreciate this, please stop." If no one stopped, a Mod could take control of the situation... post a formal warning, tell comet he's crazy, ban one or two people... whatever.

Not to mention one of the problems with moderating old stuff is that people's friendships come and go. What used to be harmless banter now could look like open flames in some cases, and someone could misrepresent the facts. (not that that is what happened here).

EDIT: No I havent .

Also, not that you're going to listen to me, but you should be really careful about this sort of thing. What would happen if your gf found out you were posting her pic and talking about how you have sex with her to a bunch of random strangers? I know if someone was doing that to me without my knowledge, I'd be kind of pissed off.
  23. Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master

star 4
    Thread summary for those just tuning in:

Darth-Seldon started a thread with his sock complaining about age discrimination because he wasn't old enough to be alive during the Carter Administration.

Then comet1440 showed up and started complaining about being "flamed" because of his age, when in fact it has much more to do with his personality and posting style than it does his age.

The topic has been switching back and forth between those two subjects, and has resulted in many laughs for those reading -- whether they have been posting or not.
  24. comet1440 Jedi Master

star 4
    Comet, I hate to break it to you, but whacking off to that picture you posted, does not constitute having sex.

You said there were no flames in the links I posted SRL . yet the comment above came from you . you implied I maturbated to the picture of my girlfriend and only " thought " I had sex , thats a flame .
  25. Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Master

star 5
    Actually Q_G_J I don't have cable, I hardly watch TV and I don't think I have ever seen MTV.

When you get a little older and more experienced, you'll probably learn not to attack the specifics of a figure of speech. You are part of the "MTV Generation" whether you've ever watched TV or not. It has to do with the technological period that you've grown up in -- and to a lesser extent the qualities you expect from the world around you.

I might have easily have said that you were part of the "Fast Food Generation", but then I suppose your argument would center around the fact that you've never eaten at Burger King.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.