main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Announcement about the Administration (Updated June 21, 2004)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kimball_Kinnison, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    I'll be taking over the top role, but we're restructuring a bit as well. Sapient and the admins will take over the day to day stuff, though I will be here regularly still. I'll only be called on for action when something really warrants the attention of someone with more authority than the admin team.

That having been said, I'd love to hear via PM some suggestions for the last admin spot. We're going to have some dialogue about it on email tomorrow and would love input.

Josh

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    So kind of you to visit us.

Considering the administration considers admins and emails to be private, perhaps you wouldn't mind replying in comm? It would be a shame for misunderstandings to arrise from quoting an often missing head admin and quotes being taken out of context or otherwise mistook and having the admin unable to clarify things.

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    farrie, I understand your concerns, but let's at least give the man a chance before tarring and feathering him.

4. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    *puts tar and feathers in storage bin*

5. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I will confess to a wee amount of bitterness.

With all due respect Josh, where have you been? It always seems when you do get involved with a decision, or atleast the ones that stick out, they're ones that cause resentfulness and schisms.

I've known many if not all of out past admins, I've agreed and fought with most if not all of them, but they were all members. Not in the sense that they posted here, but that they were part of the community here. Maybe it might be different if I posted in 3sa where you seem to be mostly, but I don't nor do many others. Yes you own the site Josh and that gives you the right to do pretty much anything you want with it, but across the whole site how many people here know you?

Bitter? Yes perhaps, but for all our problems and quickrs the boards are something fo a community and I have trouble seeing you as more then an interloper.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, and you're conservitave so you can't be all bad, but I don't know you and nor, I would say, do many others.

6. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Please don't take this question the wrong way but how is this...
    I'll only be called on for action when something really warrants the attention of someone with more authority than the admin team.

any different than it has been traditionally?

7. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    You don't know me and yet you make such snap judgements against me.

Josh

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm sorry some people are being negative about this. Give Josh a chance and see how it works out. :)

9. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    You don't know me and yet you make such snap judgements against me.

He's allready showing bad judgement

I woulda banned her for that

j/k
    :p

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Josh is right. Why don't we just stop assuming things and let the man do his job?

11. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Snap judgements?

Sorry Josh but I've crossed both your path and staff mods in general in the past and frankly it's seldom been pleasent.

From them I've experienced and seen a distinct tendency to make pronouncements rather then have discussion, to ignore anyone who sees something otherwise, and can be generally unappreciative attitude towards others.

First as owner and then part owner you have every right to do that. It is, in fact, your way or the highway, but expecting people to appreciate you and like you at the same time seems silly if that's the road you're going to chose.

And do try and see where I'm coming from here. No I don't know you, but is that because I don't want to or that you've hardly ever been around? To add to that, no you step in and decide you the best person for a job which has in the past required a person who has been around, who has been willing to talk to people, and who has earned the respect(grudging or not) of members by their presence and interaction on all the boards.

As I see it, what every other head admin has done automatically coming in you're going to have to do through concious effort. Are you willing and able to continue and increase your current increased posting? Even expand it? There's a reason that head admins retire and it isn't because the position was so boring they couldn't keep their eyes open.

12. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Josh is good peoples. So long as he's available when the need arises, arguing over what title he 'officially' holds is fruitless.

Vertical

13. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    As long as he's available.

Josh is not taking up a good part of what have traditionaly been parts of the head admins jobs.

Which means, I suppose, that those parts are probably the collective responsibility of the other admins. Furthermore, even if those admins do take up those parts with full authority, they would undoubtedly go to Josh for final authority.

As you know I am always wanting to press for changes, but in this case I now not only have to convince many mods, but a majority(if not all) of the admin council and then Josh.

It is a system of confused responsibilites and jobs combined with a multi-tiered approval chain that would make any buerocrat weep with joy and is almost a gaurentee that absolutely nothing substantive will be accomplished unless Josh pushes for it, which seems unlikely.

Josh is good people, but this mess is partially a result of his decision to get more involved. Subsiquently I do not feel like throwing a parade in his honor.

14. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    The diagonal sock needs to post here :p .

Faraday, lets wait and see how they set it up.

Sape, Raven, and K_K know what theye doing and wont need to go to Josh as much most likley.

At least thats my common sense interpertation of it.

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Personally, I think its a good idea that someone with a stake in TFn has the head admin spot. Someone who has put a significant amount of effort into TFn as a whole, someone who has something to lose rather than just some e-power.

The rest of the admins are more than capable of running the JC on a daily basis and make judgement calls, and can turn to Josh if something contraversial needs an executive decision.

16. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    ^

Esellent.
    Summary.

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    malkieD2, that was a nice post. :)

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Agreed with malkie as well.

19. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    Josh is basically doing what I did back in 2000. No one knew me, yet I became head admin, while being part of the core TFN team. I think I managed pretty well during my stay. It wasn't perfect, but there was communication between the core team and the admins.

20. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You did very well cleo(I'm biased though, you're me).

On the other hand though the atmosphere from the staff on down was much different then.

21. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    we have a good board here, and everyone works hard.

22. yodaman975

yodaman975 Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2003
    well, if it comes down to a choice of which owner is going to be head admin, Josh would be better, as he has been around here much, much longer and understands the needs-comings-goings of our board better. It's a matter of experience here and a labor of love.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    If you ask me the head admin should be someone who had a good interest in the site and is willing to work hard for the site.

I don't have many posts here, but then again I don't claim to work for this site in a position of power.

Josh has 2,462 posts at the moment.

Sape has about 46 thousand something.

Now the amount of posts don't mean the person is a good user. It does mean they are dedicated. Especially when you consider that Josh has 2,462 and that is since 1999.

I think the position should go to someone like Sape, Raven, Kimball or Kayta (or in my opinion DA). I'm glad that Josh is dedicated to the site, and I have nothing in opposition to him. I just think an owner has his place and the leadership has theirs. A football team owner does not coach too.

I don't mean to anger anyone.
    I'm glad the site has all of you.
    and I know Josh is dedicated.
    I just think there should be a separation between leadership and ownership.

-Seldon

24. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I don't think this will work but it's worth a go.
    Anything will be better than having nobody at the top (and as such no repurcussion for mod/admin abuse of authority) or worse, the quarterly rotating roster that was discussed somewhere awhile back.

As long as the head admin understands that his role must be as impartial as possible and take all sides of an issue into consideration, I think it'll be fine. A less visible presence might even help things.

Everyone should be aware that just because the Head Admin is now the part owner, they are still as welcome as ever to contact him about any complaints they have with the JC or the way it's being run.

25. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I'm glad to see Josh take the position I wish him luck :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.