main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Announcement about the Administration (Updated June 21, 2004)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kimball_Kinnison, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    If you ask me the head admin should be someone who had a good interest in the site and is willing to work hard for the site.

No one has said that Josh doesn't fit that role. He's a part owner, so he has a real vested interest in the JC.

I don't have many posts here, but then again I don't claim to work for this site in a position of power.

Josh has 2,462 posts at the moment.

Sape has about 46 thousand something.

Now the amount of posts don't mean the person is a good user. It does mean they are dedicated. Especially when you consider that Josh has 2,462 and that is since 1999.

Post counts mean NOTHING. Of all the people to have ever held "Head Admin" spot, only Sapient and GS have had post counts far exceeding 10,000. And they are the only ones that didn't register before 2000. Frankly there are a lot of users here that I would really classify as dedicated without having near 10,000 posts. Unless you are going to base what you have to say on solid facts rather than using a figure that means absolutely nothing.

I personally think that if everyone involved deals with this set-up the way in which it should to be most effective, it will be one of the better things for the JC in a while. As it always is, we'll have to see down the line, but I have hopes for this.

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Post counts mean NOTHING. Of all the people to have ever held "Head Admin" spot, only Sapient and GS have had post counts far exceeding 10,000. And they are the only ones that didn't register before 2000. Frankly there are a lot of users here that I would really classify as dedicated without having near 10,000 posts. Unless you are going to base what you have to say on solid facts rather than using a figure that means absolutely nothing.

He does have a valid point. It doesn't mean anything, as long you are willing to work hard and put effort into something that is going to satisfy, I think it's wonderful that Josh wants to pick up the position. Besides, a good portion of the MS is under 5000 when they first start and some of them tend to work really hard towards the manager position.

I personally think that if everyone involved deals with this set-up the way in which it should to be most effective, it will be one of the better things for the JC in a while. As it always is, we'll have to see down the line, but I have hopes for this.

Dingo has another valid point. I think this could do the JC some good, to have one of the owners get more involved with the JC itself :)

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    How many times have you seen Josh post in a thread? I know I have seen very few of his posts. I see Dingo, I see Sape and G-S. It is hardly ever that I see Josh.

I know the amount of posts don't make much difference. It does say that Josh is not around much.

Besides all points aside there should be a separation between ownership and leadership. That simple.

-Seldon

4. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    If someone invested money into this place, and if they want to see it continue to succeed, then they have every right to involve themselves in anyway they can.

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Yes he has the right to do it.
    I have the right to bear arms in America, yet I don't!
    Just because you have the right does not mean you should!
    I have a right to freedom of speech, yet I don't just say anything I want, I have to be mindful of people's feelings and safety. You have the freedom to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, yet you don't.

I'm just saying that the ownership has different interests then the leadership and the two should be separated.

-Seldon

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Quality > Quantity

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It matters little for the post count.
    That was not my original point.

My major point is that there should be separation between leadership and ownership. Josh should let the administrators lead, let the people who know the site best lead it.

-Seldon

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I'm also thinking that Josh might have more of an interest to become more involved not only with making decisions but maybe interacting with the users more. shrugs I could be wrong

9. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    GS is gone. Josh has always stayed on the side lines of JCC as much as he could, especially since he has TFN duties, too. Perhaps, with GS gone now, he feels he can devote more time to JCC, especially with Ep 3 coming out soon.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I have noticed Josh posting a lot more actively lately, and have even seen him make some posts in JCC. Definitely a good sign.

11. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    And who knows ... hey, this arrangement doesn't have to last forever, you know.

Perhaps there is something greater in the works, but this is the first step in that process. Think about it folks, and let's give this season a go.

Josh

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    How many times have you seen Josh post in a thread? I know I have seen very few of his posts. I see Dingo, I see Sape and G-S. It is hardly ever that I see Josh.

I know the amount of posts don't make much difference. It does say that Josh is not around much.

You do realise that you see a lot of us contantly posting because we really don't know when to shut up.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone that Josh hasn't been as around as often and regularly as many of the moderators and administrators that are commonly encountered by everyone here in Comms, because the truth is that he hasn't (although food for thought, he has been around more than some moderators have). But there have been reasons that he and Philip (and Scott before him) haven't had to, and that is the sheer amount of self-reliance that was given to the administrators and moderating team at various points in time. All through those periods though everyone was after more interaction with the staff to help facilitate the needs of the forums and TFN as a whole.

Will Josh fulfil the role of Head Admin as darthcleo, Joanzia, NathanDahlin, Vertical, Kadue, DarthSapient or Grilled-Sarlacc did? No.

But then again, not a single one of them filled the role the same way. Each brought different things to the administration at differing times over the current life of these forums, and thus it was the way that they did things, and the people that they had directly there to help them that mattered. What has occurred is that due to the various events around the MS team and administrators over the last half year Josh has decided to alter the fashion in which things are done to deal with the issues that have appeared, just as has been done previously (like when the Head Admin with 3 administrator set-up was created, like when the 3 admin LC was established, etc.).

Did I ever say that this will turn out for the absolute best for the forums? No. I cannot see the future, and am not going to predict it. What I did say and believe is that if Josh does spend more time here on the forums (that I know from talking to him he does want to do) and has the right mix of people around him as administrators, then it has the potential to fix the problems that have become apparent.

Besides all points aside there should be a separation between ownership and leadership. That simple.

I'm just saying that the ownership has different interests then the leadership and the two should be separated.

Err..... no it isn't that simple. No offence intended, but statements like those (and some others that you have made in Comms over the last few months) actually shows how little you fully appreciate about the management of online communities occurs. Are there those that can at times lead a place better than an owner can? Yes, there definitely are. Does that mean though that all owners can't? Hell no. If you actually have a really good look all around the net, and watch a large variety of places over time you will see every permutation of possible methods for the running of message boards. And in doing so, you will see that there are no hard and fast rules on anything. The different variables that will affect the success of different methods and styles are so vast that no single case can ever be used as a perfect example of how something should be done on another message board.

13. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Give Josh a chance y'all.

He's shown readson so far, so odds are he can continue to do so.

And he's a far cry better than Darth Wise himself taking over.

14. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I say give Josh a chance, it would do the community good to see what he has in mind. Maybe he has some really good ideas and wants to implement them. With E3 coming out next year, we're going to see some really tight spots with trolls flammers and bashers and maybe Josh has a few things in mind for that as well.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If anything, I'd think a very high post count would be an obstacle to being a good head admin. As Nic said, Josh is here as a liaison between staff and JC moderators, and his job really isn't to post a lot. Posting for hours each day can potentially limit the amount of time an administrator has to dedicate to his or her job. Josh need only post enough to be familiar with the state of the boards and the characters who roam them so he can mediate fairly.

16. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    My apologies, but... Cleo! :eek: You're here!

*blinks a few times*

Just when I was thinking this situation reminded me of how Cleo had gotten to the JC, and then that she became the most loved admin I can recall... Well, it was a nice surprise seing her making a post here. Sadly, I missed all the posts immediatly after. :p

Ah well. [face_blush]

//slides off the thread

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I give the guy a chance.

I just have the personal opinion that there should be a separation between leadership and ownership.

Perhaps Josh will be a great adminstrators, it would be great if he is. I don't really know yet. I was just saying my personal opinion for separation. Perhaps he will help the JC out.

My comments were not meant for bashing Josh. I don't know him. I don't know how he leads. My comments were more about the general belief of separation between the leaders and owners.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.