main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Anti-Gay

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lumberjedi, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    So, what's your policy about people using gay as a derogatory term, hmm? Or has this site just gotten lamer?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    If someone's calling a person gay, in a derogatory manner, tell a mod and we'll handle it, because it's flaming.

¤Night

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Saying something is gay or calling someone gay as an insult is not allowed and has not been acceptable for a long time.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    So saying, for an exapnle, AIMs down. Again. Whys AIM gotta be so gay is unacceptable ?

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I sure hope it is.

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Unless you are referring to:

a) Gay = fun and happy; or
    b) Gay = homosexual and used in a sensible, non-derogatory manner;

Then no, it is not ok. Not by a long shot.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Some people have tried to argue (unsuccessfully) that saying "gay" now is just an insult devoid of any reference to homosexuality.

Kind of like when someone says "Darn you!", you're not actually wishing that the person is damned to hell...

But it doesn't matter, the use of the term "gay" in any type of derogatory manner is completely inappropriate.

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Any sort of use of the word gay in a negative, derogatory, or insulting manner is against the TOS.

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Since were on this subject, someone from the Icon Thread thinks if icons of a Homosexuality nature were uploaded for next Valentine's Day it would cause loads of contraversy? Apart from homophobes, would it?

10. New_Order

New_Order Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2001
    Since were on this subject, someone from the Icon Thread thinks if icons of a Homosexuality nature were uploaded for next Valentine's Day it would cause loads of contraversy? Apart from homophobes, would it?

I read what was in the Icon Thread and that's not what was said. If you're going to start about homosexuality and gay rights, which I sense you are, you can stop here and take it to the Senate Forum.

This thread is regarding the meanings of the word "gay" on the forums.

11. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    i don't understand how it's derogatory to call a gay person gay, when gay people themselves call themselves gay. doesn't make sense. that's like saying it's derogatory to call black people black.

"you're gay" = harmless (when the person is in fact homosexual)

"he's gay" = harmless (when the person is in fact homosexual)

"you're a fag" = derogatory

"this board is gay" = derogatory

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We are not talking about calling a gay person gay being derogatory. We are talking about stuff like your last example. Or calling one of your straight friends gay as an insult.

13. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    ah. gotcha.

14. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    It says a lot about a culture when calling someone gay is so undesirable that it can even be considered an insult.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It says a lot about a culture when being gay is so undesirable that calling someone gay can even be used an insult.

16. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    What strilo said. ^^^^ Bravo.

Nothing makes me more pissed than mean people spreading their meaness to the ignorant.

If you mean "stupid" or "bad", say "stupid" or "bad", not "gay".

17. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    but it's always been like that. no, that doesn't make it right, it means that this isn't something new.

and the word 'gay' has become so commonly used as a negative adjective that a lot of times people say it without an homosexual connotation. as in, people will say things like "this is gay", with 'gay' being intended as synonymous with 'lame'. that kind of thing is so common these days that people use the word 'gay' as an adjective just like they would any of every other negative word you can think of to use, without even thinking about it. again, that doesn't make it right, but when it becomes a generic negative adjective it's a lot harder to curb.

it's almost as if 'gay' has kinda taken on a new definition nowadays, and that definition is just a general negative that is synonymous with almost anything negative. it's just like 'dick'. i bet people named Dick don't like that word being used in a derogatory manner. but the fact of the matter is that words have more than one definition (for the most part). 'gay', as a negative adjective, has become as generic as 'dick' in many cases.

anyways, that's something to think about. i'm not looking for an endless argument, nor am i taking any concrete stance.

18. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    and the word 'gay' has become so commonly used as a negative adjective that a lot of times people say it without an homosexual connotation. as in, people will say things like "this is gay", with 'gay' being intended as synonymous with 'lame'. that kind of thing is so common these days that people use the word 'gay' as an adjective just like they would any of every other negative word you can think of to use, without even thinking about it. again, that doesn't make it right, but when it becomes a generic negative adjective it's a lot harder to curb.

Yes, but it is a RECENT trend, only appearing in the last 7-10 years.

Allowing it on the boards is just as good as endorsing it. It will get harder and harder to curb if everyone keeps allowing it. Most of the people who use it and don't think about it don't realize that it's wrong.

19. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Yes, but it is a RECENT trend, only appearing in the last 7-10 years.

Allowing it on the boards is just as good as endorsing it. It will get harder and harder to curb if everyone keeps allowing it. Most of the people who use it and don't think about it don't realize that it's wrong.

True. But what about using the word lame in the same manner as the "Thats gay/lame" way? Isn't that just as disrespectful and slang toward actual lame people as saying "Thats gay" to gays? where is the line drawn on what is ans isnt allowed?

I know some adults who actually say "Thats queer" when they see something strange or unusual. They are not slandering homosexuals, but are using it in its original form as "strange".

Things can easily be misunderstood. And besides, there are many things which are allowed in these boards that violate the TOS. Why should one be cracked down on so much while other, while less dubious in nature, are allowed free roam?

-Jabba out

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, the slang term used against Black Americans is also common parlence, it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

21. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    True. But what about using the word lame in the same manner as the "Thats gay/lame" way? Isn't that just as disrespectful and slang toward actual lame people as saying "Thats gay" to gays? where is the line drawn on what is ans isnt allowed?

So say stupid or bad instead of lame. Negative word associations, even if not "meant that way", cause subconcious associations in the speaker and listener. Ignoring it, accepting it, or rationalizing it doesn't make it go away, and doesn't reverse the damage it does.

I know some adults who actually say "Thats queer" when they see something strange or unusual. They are not slandering homosexuals, but are using it in its original form as "strange".

Very true, homosexuals appropriated the term decades ago. That's their fault. Queer is perfectly acceptable if it's meant as strange. "That's queer" or even "You're queer" could be relatively harmless if you use it's original intent. "You're a queer" is not. Of course, people know this, and when confronted about it just say they are using the older meaning for it, rather than using it as a derougatory term implying something or someone is "homosexual".

Honestly, I don't think there is anything more stupid than someone calling an inanimate objects or abstract concepts "gay". I mean, how many straight inanimate objects do you encounter on a daily basis?

Oops, wait, I meant to say "I don't think there is anything more gay than someone calling an inanimate objects or abstract concepts 'gay'." [face_plain]

Well, the slang term used against Black Americans is also common parlence, it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Exactly. It doesn't even have to be a slur or slang. If someone were going around saying "Man, that is so black!" or "Man, that is so Jewish!" to respond to everything distasteful that came across their path, people would be up in arms and calling for bans in a heartbeat.

22. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    it's not recent, it's been well over a decade.

also, i did not say that any of that stuff should make it acceptable.

the word 'stupid' isn't very nice either when used with negative connotations.

and i'm having a hard time seeing 'queer' as derogatory when there's a successful show called "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy."

Honestly, I don't think there is anything more stupid than someone calling an inanimate objects or abstract concepts "gay". I mean, how many straight inanimate objects do you encounter on a daily basis?

Oops, wait, I meant to say "I don't think there is anything more gay than someone calling an inanimate objects or abstract concepts 'gay'."

practice what you preach.

23. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    practice what you preach

Um....you did notice the [face_plain] smiley, right? It...it was sarcasm...

24. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    easy, tiger.

25. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    easy, tiger.

Could you elaborate? Because to me it looked like you were implying that I didn't "practice what I preach[ed]", which would damage my argument, and when I calmly pointed out that you apparently missed the intent you accuse me of being hostile in an attempt to make me look unreasonable and make yourself look like the cooler head.

Am I about right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.