main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Anti-Gay

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lumberjedi, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Do mods get points for every big word they use? :p

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    But if someone posts a thread asking "What do you think of The New Kids on the Block" and someone posts "gay" as a response, we're going to take that to mean "bad" and consider it misuse of the word.

Very true, just as if someone posted "What do you think of Take That [famous Brit boy band]" and someone posts "gay" as a response they would be perfectly correct.

So, indeed its all about context which its used, which I'm sure would be the conclusion of this thread.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    When someone posts the remark "GAY." in a thread that has nothing to do with homosexuality or would even leave room for a PC mention of the word, it's obvious that it is meant with negative intent.

4. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    wrong answer.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    what ignant said about the 'raped' example.

the meaning of the word 'raped' has changed so that it no longer means just a forcible act of sexual violence, but also just violation in general. much the same way that the word 'gay' has changed to not just mean heterosexual, but also to mean general negativity (or, for that matter, how ***** has changed to no longer just be a term for the female genitalia, but also to mean someone who is a wimp).

so with 'gay' you're banning it regardless of the fact that it's changed meaning, but with 'rape' you're saying the changed meaning allows it to be acceptable on these boards.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    How far has "gay" changed meaning?

Your point is taken - I would argue that we should be careful about the use of the word "raped" as well as "gay" or any other word that has sensitive connotations.

I'm not saying we have to tiptoe on eggshells, but we're saying the use of "gay" as a negative adjective will not be allowed - yes, in the mind of the person using it, it may have nothing to do with homosexuality

- BUT: the author's feeling or intent is not known and does not matter to a homosexual person reading the thread! And that is the reason why it isn't allowed.

If we really want to get pedantic, I could say that "gay" is being used as an adjective - describing or putting a quality to a thing - while "raped" is being used as a verb.

The point is that using "gay" places a VALUE on whatever "gay" is describing - and since it is now used as a NEGATIVE value, it has derogatory implications for homosexuals.

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    So is the current verdict that saying something is gay (and not simply saying "gay" but saying "That's gay") when referring to an object that has no homosexual implications, is wrong, and therefore Edit-able?

¤Night

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would say the current verdict is that the policy has been stated, there is no good reason to change it, the use of 'gay' in the manner discussed still offends a good portion of the community it targets and yah... that's about it.

9. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    much the same way that the word 'gay' has changed to not just mean heterosexual, but also to mean general negativity (or, for that matter, how ***** has changed to no longer just be a term for the female genitalia, but also to mean someone who is a wimp).

Neither term is allowed to be used in a negative context on this site, regardless of the lesser impact they have on society these days. Cripes, this isn't a difficult concept people. If you can't think of a suitable synonym, go back and take third grade english.

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Cripes, this isn't a difficult concept people. If you can't think of a suitable synonym, go back and take third grade english.

Exactly. Same thing with the cuss words. It's not necessary. I think it's retarded that we can't use abbreviations with the letter F in them, but i am perfectly capable of composing posts with out those abbreviations and still conveying proper meaning.

11. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    for the record, my complaint isn't that the term 'gay' isn't allowed in a negative way, but instead that the word 'raped' can be thrown around so lightly, which seems to be a double standard.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I for one don't like that either. I discourage people from using that phrase in the forums I moderate... which includes TPM, the film that phrase is used in reference to the most.

13. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    The phrase that word is infamous around here for is stupid anyway. Anyone who is that affected by a movie, especially Star Wars, should probably be under close monitoring by psychiatrists.

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Nate, have you seen how seriously some people around here take StarWars ? I've seen pics of people's bedrooms that would make your eyes bleed.

GL isn't violating my childhood because I can watch the OT anytime I want.........even the original version.

So yeah, certain words offend a large number of people so those words shouldn't be used. Pretty easy stuff.

I find the word "English" highly offensive, can we ban that too ?

15. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    The English find you just as offensive, so I think we call it a draw to avoid complications. ;)

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If you call ruling Scotland for hundreds of years from London a draw... :)

So words that should not be used except in their 'proper' context are:

Gay
    Pussy
    Bitch
    Rape
    Bastard.

Any others?

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Retarded should be added to your list.

18. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Retarded should be added to your list.

Thats the same as 'rape', I think. Retarded just means slow, ie to retard something is to slow it down. Nowadays it is often used to describe people with several learning disabilities, and subsquently anyone on the internet who shows a lack of understanding or intelligence.

19. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Sorry I forgot retarded, I can be slow at times.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well, i use the word gay to describe things i don't like, even though i'm pro-homosexuality. so i agree with whoever said that the usage of the term has evolved to more than just pertaining to homosexuals. even more so considering homosexuals have stolen the term for themselves, anyway.

21. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    even more so considering homosexuals have stolen the term for themselves, anyway.

Irrelevant, considering so many heterosexuals have adopted it as an insult. Plenty of people take offence to the way you use the word "gay", and if you insist on using it IRL then I hope you have the common decency of not using it here, for the sake of those who are offended by it. There is no situation that requires its use.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    exactly, Hawk.

It does not matter what YOU think about your usage of the word "gay", it's what OTHER PEOPLE will think about it.

23. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Thats the same as 'rape', I think. Retarded just means slow, ie to retard something is to slow it down. Nowadays it is often used to describe people with several learning disabilities, and subsquently anyone on the internet who shows a lack of understanding or intelligence.

The same can be said of gay! It was originally meant happy, nothing wrong there. Then it morphed into homosexual. Now it's taken to mean anything "bad" in most cases, because of the way culture acted towards homosexuals in the past few decades.

How can you say that retarded is acceptable when it can be put in direct parralell to gay?

¤Night

24. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003

It does not matter what YOU think about your usage of the word "gay", it's what OTHER PEOPLE will think about it.

You don't want to open that can of worms, because the nit-pickers (and while I'm not one I'm really good at being a devil's advocate) will then bring up arguments such as "OMG offends me because it says the Lord's name in vain. And even if you meant 'Gosh' instead of 'God' it's still offensive because I know that you meant to say 'God' and putting in a substitute won't work, the same way we can't make WTF stand for 'What the Freak?' So I ask that this be striken from the JCers allowed list"

And for that matter, I find the use of the word "rape" to describe something as silly as a movie offensive. Because comparing your reaction to Lucas' artistic vision to the PT to the violent, sexual crime that rape is, is not only wrong, but totally trivilalizing rape itself. Have I mentioned that I have issues with that? Because I do.

And yes, saying something is 'retarded' is the same as saying something is 'gay' so if one is disallowed, so should the other.

All people are asking for is a little consistancy, methinks.

25. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "And for that matter, I find the use of the word "rape" to describe something as silly as a movie offensive. Because comparing your reaction to Lucas' artistic vision to the PT to the violent, sexual crime that rape is, is not only wrong, but totally trivilalizing rape itself. Have I mentioned that I have issues with that? Because I do.

And yes, saying something is 'retarded' is the same as saying something is 'gay' so if one is disallowed, so should the other.

All people are asking for is a little consistancy, methinks. "

Why the hell isn't Carmen running this place?

Oh, and add Nazi to the list. Basically, if mods are going to assume the worst possible connotation for words, we need to update and greatly expand the word censor list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.