main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Anti-Gay

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lumberjedi, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Nazi like most other words, including gay, depends on the context and the usage. Do not look for a list of forbidden words because that is not what this thread is about.

Nazi can be used acceptably in the following fashion:

-I can be such a "Grammar Nazi" sometimes
    -We are studying a film made in Nazi Germany
    -The Nazi theme from Indiana Jones 3 is the best!

I am sure we can all imagine the unacceptable uses of the word Nazi, so I won't post examples here. I will simply say that Nazi, like gay, retarded, rape and several other words listed in this thread, is acceptable or unacceptable depending on it's context. Once again we are looking at a case by case basis here. Moderators are going to make a judgement call. That's why we were made mods, because the administration trusts our judgement.

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    ...and because you gave up your information.

Obviously, context must be taken into account. And we need a list of words that can be unacceptable under certain circumstances. Just saying, 'well, if someone can find it offensive, it;s unnacceptable' isn;t good enough, for the reasons Carmen so eloquently stated. Because you can have people getting silly, and saying things like, "I find the word 'no' unacceptable because it's clearly anti-yes."

The old "Rule of The Simpsons" doesn't seem to be working, because the board is getting more and more PC. For example, I probably couldn;t couldn;t start a thread called "The Christ Punchers Bike Gang", but that is a Simpsons reference.

So, in conclusion, fix it.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Saying "that's so gay" has been against the rules as long as I can remember. I knew this before I was even a mod. There's nothing to fix. Thinking before you post something that might be offensive (i.e. "gay.") is something I would recommend.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, I think gay has been established. It's other words you people, who have such sublime judgement, need to work on.

5. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    Okay, just going to drop a note.

You are all right on saying it is wrong, but I want to point out a double standard.

If I post something(I woundn't) negitive against homosexuals, then I can be banned. If I said something negitive against Christains, I wouldn't.

Example:

UserXYZ: "You Christians are all the same. Just a bunch of anti-sex prudes. Why....(etc, etc)
    [This would not be edited]

UserXYZ: "Gays are all the same, a bunch of perverted people who....(etc, etc)
    [This could be bannable]

I don't like the double standard. If it's wrong for one side its wrong for both. Joking negitivly about gays can get you banned, but joking negitivly against Christians will not.

I think it's wrong to call names and poke fun at anyones beliefs. A serious discussion on right and wrong is one thing, but insulting is another.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    What, are you serious? Christian bashing is edited. If it crosses the line, it's edited, regardless of who it's bashing.

Man, I have had "Jesus Christ!" edited out of a few posts, as well.

No matter what subject you pick, there are going to be some insults that slip by the mods, or they decide are just barely okay.

Not to mention those same religious types (not necessarily christian) sometimes bash non religious types just as badly, if not worse as what they get.

7. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    True, but gays do the same.

ANYTHING anti-gay is out, you can get away with alot more against Christians

8. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    ANYTHING anti-gay is out, you can get away with alot more against Christians

I have seen tons of gay bashing stuff slide past without editing. Tons. You happen to be sensitive to the christian insults, so they stand out more in your mind. If you are offended by someone's comments, you haev a few choices:

I personally think the best option is to PM that poster (and yes, i have done this before) and let them know you were very offended by the thing they said, and to please edit it for whatever great reason you have. If that does not achieve any results, you can contact a mod and get an offical opinion.

But the mods can NOT run around editing every comment that is slightly insulting to one person. Each mod defines what is okay in their eyes and what is not and tries their best to keep the users happy, but everyone will NEVER be happy.

9. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    No. no. You miss my point. Us Christians are usally not so thin skined(At least I'm not) when it comes to insults. I'm just saying I see a double standard. Everyone usally gets along with gays without problem, under penalty of ban.

You mention Christianity and you can start a riot. Trust me, I do all the time.

10. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    What? Are you saying you are not offeneded by what goes unedited, but that gays are over sensisitive? I am honestly confused by your last post.

11. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Yes, while flaming is one thing, this whole lets be nice to everyone and not hurting anyones feelings stuff goes to far. It's, excuse me, but slightly childish.

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'd learn proper English before I started calling other people childish if I were you, kiddo. We're never going to be able to get rid of hostility in the JC, but we can at least try to minimise it and make it a place that everyone feels welcome to visit and participate at, which is what most people in this thread are aiming for. If you have such a problem with the way Christians are treated here, why don't you go and contact a mod about it instead of keeping completely silent and then whinging about it here when not enough (by your standards, at least) is done?

13. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    GenOochy person, i happen to find it very offensive when people try to impose their religious views on others. what i find even more offensive is the disdain that vocally religious people often have for the 'infidels'.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Just to add a mod's perspective:

UserXYZ: "You Christians are all the same. Just a bunch of anti-sex prudes. Why....(etc, etc)
    [This would not be edited]

That would flat out be edited. Personally I would also take action against the poster, based on their previous history. I don't see a double standard at all. People who cross the line, be it with gays or christians or anyone else, are dealt with. If there is something you feel crosses the line, contact a moderator to make sure they are aware of it.

VaderFett: No one is trying to push their beliefs on you. I am not really sure what your post has to do with the subject at hand. On a side note, the word you are looking for is not infidels, it is heathens.

15. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Okay, well on this topic, I had this posted against me. No I'm not saying, "GO! EDIT!". But what about this commet:

I forgot...we are hearing the Bible Pushers POV on the counter arguments.
    It always boils down to the Christians preeching that "sex is for after marriage".

Forgive me...but that is the most utter bunch of junk that the Bible (which was written by men, after being translated) can spread. There are other things that it says that I do not agree with either...but I am not trying to get into a theological debate.

You know the funniest thing is that the people that preach to not have premarital sex...are virgins themselves (for the most part, the others probably had a very bad experience.)

As far as spiritual and emotional connection...that is such a crock of ****, as for being enough to sustain a relationship...to turn it into a marriage.

That was his opinion, and I doubt it would be edited. But if I went into the gay thread and posted the exact same thing, just with a differant context, would it be edited and I banned? Most likly.

[i]I'd learn proper English before I started calling other people childish if I were you, kiddo. We're never going to be able to get rid of hostility in the JC, but we can at least try to minimise it and make it a place that everyone feels welcome to visit and participate at, which is what most people in this thread are aiming for. If you have such a problem with the way Christians are treated here, why don't you go and contact a mod about it instead of keeping completely silent and then whinging about it here when not enough (by your standards, at least) is done?
    [/i]

You miss my point. I'm saying it's childish to do this I got my feelings hurt stuff on either side. In other words if it's not a flame, then speaking negitivly about someone should be left. AKA posting that you do not like gay people is okay, it's opinion.

16. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    No one is saying that you can't say you don't like gay people. They ARE saying that you can't use gay as a derogatory term, such as using it as a catch-all term for "stupid" or "bad". However, if the discussion is about homosexuality, you are still allowed to say it is bad if that is how you feel.

At least, that is my interpretation of the decision. I could be wrong.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Agreed, doctor. ;)

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I forgot...we are hearing the Gay Community's POV on the counter arguments.
    It always boils down to the Gays saying that "sex is ok before marriage".

Forgive me...but that is the most utter bunch of junk that is contrary to what the Bible says. There are other things that it says that I agree with as well...but I am not trying to get into a theological debate.

You know the funniest thing is that the people that preach to have premarital sex...are promiscuous themselves (for the most part.)

As far as spiritual and emotional connection...that is something I believe strongly in, as for being enough to sustain a relationship...to turn it into a marriage.

I see nothing there that I would even edit or punish a person for. I also see nothing in the original post that I would consider a problem. I do not see this as any proof that a double standard exists. If you would like to address issues of Christians being flamed or a phrase being used that insults Christians, I would suggest either contacting a moderator or opening a thread about it.

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I forgot...we are hearing the Gay Community's POV on the counter arguments.
    It always boils down to the Gays saying that "sex is ok before marriage".

Forgive me...but that is the most utter bunch of junk that is contrary to what the Bible says. There are other things that it says that I agree with as well...but I am not trying to get into a theological debate.

You know the funniest thing is that the people that preach to have premarital sex...are promiscuous themselves (for the most part.)

As far as spiritual and emotional connection...that is something I believe strongly in, as for being enough to sustain a relationship...to turn it into a marriage.

I would say that it would depend on where it was posted. If it was posted into a pre marital sex thread in the Senate, it?s all right. If it?s posted into the Gay bar, then it probably isn?t so good. I wouldn?t ban for it unless the person making the post has a history of going into threads like that and posting things like that. To use a parallel situation, it is one thing for the EU to be bashed in 3SA and it?s quite another for the EU to be bashed in the EUDF. In those areas in between, moderators should use their judgment.

Generally, I think that this is an offence that should result in warnings if possibly inappropriate, not banning, unless it?s a chronic problem or something is deliberately doing it to try to piss someone off.

20. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    This thread is...*Pauses and stares an admin in the eye*

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    [stares back]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.