main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GEN CON on Saturday...

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Anyone going to Gen Con on Saturday that's interested in getting together give a yell. We can all cheer on Beret with her Costume and generally be obnoxious if we all choose to do so. Maybe catch some lunch/dinner at Grand Ave since it's amazingly close or something of that nature, give a yell. Dwayne and I will be there all day on Saturday. Might be nice to see some friendly faces in that crowd.

Marcy and Dwayne

2. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    I'll be there Friday if anyone wants to give me a tap on the shoulder. I'd be the half done Jango ^_^;

3. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I'll be there!

Look for me with the 6'4 Admiral Thrawn...
    Yes we can eat and talk like fans all day...should we pick a time and spot to meet?

4. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    Man, I'm gonna see if I cant try getting there Saturday instead, sounds like that's when everyone's gonna be there. And I wanna chat FilmCon with yah Eric.

5. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I'm all for meeting up somewhere at some time. I know I have an autographing at 10:30a (supposed to end at 11:30a), then there are 2 Q&A's I want to be at starting at 1pm (ending at 3), and another autographing starting at 4:30pm (ending at 6p). Unless I know of authors being there, I usually walk the floor inbetween things. I usually arrive at Gen Con _early_ (like 8am, even though there isn't anything to do for 2 hours until the dealer room opens). I'm thinking that dinner will probably be the best bet for a mass gathering of Milwookiee people as some of us are gaming and Beret being in the costume contest and all. However, there will be times for "minigatherings" during the day between events. Anyone else have any good ideas?

For the first to propose a restaurant, it's been tradition for me to end SciFi Saturday at Giordano's (except after last years total fiasco called GenCon). Anyone else have any good ideas?

6. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    i'm going to be there Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and will be willing to hang out with anyone, because wandering GenCon on my own is never fun.

As for Saturday, I know a lot of us were talking about going to the costume contest to make up Beret's cheering section. The contest starts at 2pm, but the costume parade is at 1pm.

7. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm almost sure I'm free all day Saturday. I'm not sure if I can afford to go to the Con, but I can definatly do dinner. Giordano's sounds like a great place to go.

8. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
  9. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    This will be my first GenCon so I'd like to hang with a veteran who can show me the ropes. Or not. I tend to make myself content in almost any situation. One of the perks of having an overactive brain and a colorful imagination. Anyhoo, we'll have to coagulate for the costume contest and make some noise for Beret. That's at 2? No problem.

Now, what is the plan again?

Catie

10. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    >>YELL

?[face_plain] Tom? Huh?

11. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Okay, so if anyone else is interested in Giordano's, since most of the Con events end around 6pmish or so, how about we meet at the restaurant at 6:30pmish? Actually, scratch that. There isn't much room at the entrance to the restaurant, so how about just inside the GrandAve entrance? I could always call and see if they will take reservations...I don't remember if they do or not.

I would volunteer to be your "Gen Con Veteran" Catie, but I don't know if you'd be interested in standing in lines for autographs... ('tis what I do).

12. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Catie, you're welcome to come with me for the day. I do a helluvalot of wandering.

Is anyone else going tonight to register?

13. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I think I can make it on Saturday. I actually haven't been to GEN CON during the past few years, so I guess it might be nice to do so before it moves out of town next year. I just wander around and look at stuff... autographs and gaming really don't interest me. Looking at stuff and talking to people do. Anyone want to set a time/place to meet and just walk around? I'm not sure if I can make dinner or not, but the convention itself shouldn't be a problem.

14. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Okay, in order to nail plans down and get everyone together. Costume event at 2PM to cheer on Beret and then a post-dinner and we meet at Grand Ave Mall at the coin pond under the unicycling bear/food court at 6:30 (meeting at a mall entrance might be confusing since there are like 50). Any objections? If no, then nail it down as a done deal and we'll see everyone there.:)

15. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Done deal. See y'all at Gen Con.

Jeff

16. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Done. See everyone there. (If anyone wants to hang with me Thursday or Friday, PM me for my cell phone number)

17. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    On Friday I think I'm gonna be wandering around hanging out with what members of the 501st and Rebel Legion that are there. Don't have much money but I think I'll still wander the Dealers Room a bit. Other than that, someone give me a tap on the helmet and get my attention if you're bored. :p

18. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    I won't make it to the costume contest, so cheer extra loud for me.

As far as the Grand Avenue, they have redone the inside...the bear on the wire is no longer there. If we say meet at the entrance just inside the mall on the side of Giordano's, that works, since that is the entrance I meant any way.

For cheap parking, park in the Grand Ave Ramp, make a small purchase ($5) in the mall (non-food), and ask for parking validation. You get reduced fee parking that's absolutely amazing (ignore the signs Mon-Fri inside the ramp...they have always discounted my parking when I've done this every year at Gen Con). Before this stupid acid reflux diet, I always made my purchase at Godiva. :) [Homer_Simpson_Voice]Ooooooh, chooocolate![/Homer_Simpson_Voice]

19. Com_Link_Jammin

Com_Link_Jammin Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Poor planning on my part, I got Creed tickets for Sat. at Alpine. The costume contest sounds like a good time but can't make it. I'll be wandering around Thurs. with my son. And hopefully getting Warwick Davis' autograph on Sat. AM or Sun. AM

20. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    I will see you all at dinner on Saturday!! Good luck in the costume contest, Beret!!

21. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Hoping to make dinner Sat. w/y'all, Beret, good luck at the contest and somebody PLEASE take pictures!! I want to see the finished product!!

22. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    i MIGHT be there on sunday... if i'm really really really lucky. so i woun't make it to saturday. BERET ROCK ON!!! i wish you all the luck in your leia outfit!! may the force with yous guys!! maybe see you on saturday.... (i really wanna go...)

23. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Ok, so let me get this straight:

6:30pm at the food court fountain (by the annoying bear orchestra) for dinner at Giordano's... Did I get it right?

I'm just so tired, guys, that I'm surprised I drove safely to work this morning (although I don't remember the drive... yikes...). And I'm not even sure I'm reading straight. I was up until 4am working on the costume, and at work this morning by 9am.

It's becoming the classic Beret-finishes-costume-at-last-minute--which is relatively the norm for costumes I make just for myself. It's almost done. Major work left for tonight, and Friday night will be finishing touches. Needless to say another 4am night... Too bad I can't get out of work on Friday...

But things must be alright, as I'm not having my usual panic attack. And no matter how finished this costume is, I'm wearing it no matter what!

Btw, does anyone remember if there are lockers at the convention center? I just can't seem to remember and it might be helpful--especially since it's going to rain later in the evening and dyed shoes and water don't mix (of course, it would rain!--Why not?!), and I might have to bring a change of clothes/shoes. I remember the old Mecca did. (It's a dumb question--there probably are...) But even if there are, I bet it'll be difficult to get one, with all the people practically sleeping there. Well, that's what Bob's for--he's my lackey for the day! :D

Se you guys on Saturday! :)

24. Kylash_327

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah lockers, that would be nice. I really dont wanna lug a backpack around with my stuff in it.

25. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    i've never been to gencon before and i didn't have the forsight to preregister so now i'm wondering how do i get a ticket if i want to go. can you just plan on being able to walk on and buy a ticket or do i have to call ahead.

if someone who is more familiar with this could point me in the right direction that would be great

-mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.