main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Continued Discussion Regarding the Moderator Selection Process

Discussion in 'Communications' started by saerah, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Exactly, that comment wasn't necessary IMO.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I hope we aren't in danger of taking this too seriously... we're all here because we choose to be, to have fun. saerah, I think you need to write down exactly what your goals are (including suggestions you've recieved from others), and put them forward here, so we can have a clear discussion that has a clear goal. Because right now I'm not sure where this is supposed to be heading.

3. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    That's what I'm going to do zacparis :) And I would encourage anyone else who is interested to do the same.

And I keep popping back in here because I am tired of my posts being misread or misconstrued. If we would take the time to read and consider each post before hitting that "Post reply" button, these things would not happen.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    "I would say something smart, but I am not going to stoop to your level, Darth_Ignant. "

So my level is smart? Thanks, that is quite the compliment!

Maybe you could concentrate on your brave new vision. I'm eager to read it. Kate edit: not necessary.

5. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Brave new vision? Why, I think you're mistaken. I never expressed any idea in this thread as being brave and new. Where are you contributions, Darth_Ignant? As I sit here developing a Jedicouncil Bloglisting for all the JCers that blog and a Unofficial JC Chat Room, I wonder--gee, could I possibly contribute more?

You're only cross with me because I told you how I felt about your Terminal Illness Thread. Plain and simple.

And to keep this post from going any further south and to stop me from losing my patience with certain individuals, I encourage anyone with ideas, regardless of how small or large they are, to contribute.

And I support the current mods from this point forward. I will not object to Droideka27--I will let her do her job in peace.

6. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    So you have a single foray into comms and think you're the bees knees? You have much to learn.

And JC chats have been going on for a good two years at least. Nice try, though.

7. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Hon, JC chats have been going on far longer than that. Please leave your off-topic comments to the lovely PM's you've been sending me. Lawd knows I enjoy them so! :)

:)

I knew I shouldn't have become involved. I'm too far in now..no going back.

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, you two, back to your respective corners.

9. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I can't keep it? :(

10. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Seriously, yes ma'am. I need to be careful before I stick my foot in my mouth.

11. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    How in the name of all that is holy...have I not been made a mod yet? What drugs have been making the rounds in the MS?

12. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    KW's been saying there are few to no good mod candidates left for a very long time. I think that statement has been proven to be false several times over.

What would be interesting to know is if there have been any users offered modship, but turned it down because of Philip's Law of Full Disclosure.

That could give some insight into whether the current process - which has really only been going on since March - works or not. But since people are so sensitive about "airing dirty laundry" or "drama" I doubt it will happen.

And I seem to remember Vertical (among others) stating that drama in comms wasn't such a bad thing. I hope Tracy and zacparis aren't taking the number of replies to their thread badly. At least people care enough to weigh in, one way or another. I don't think that kind of response will become common after next May in this place anyway.

13. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    What would be interesting to know is if there have been any users offered modship, but turned it down because of Philip's Law of Full Disclosure.

At least since I've been back, I haven't seen that happen yet.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    KW's been saying there are few to no good mod candidates left for a very long time. I think that statement has been proven to be false several times over.

I don't see how it has been proven wrong. I maintain that there are fewer quality moderator candidates than for the past several years, and this is most notable in the quality of the candidates who are voted on for promotion, not just the final result.

For example, in September of 2002, the candidates for JCC moderator promotion were:

Dark Lord Erik, Bria, Katya_Jade, StarFire, AmazingB and MaidenLumpé. DLE and Bria were promoted at the time, and all but one of the others eventually became a moderator (well regarded and respected moderators at that).

By last fall, it started to get harder to find high-quality candidates to vote on, and I think it's gradually gotten worse, although in light of the most recent JCC promotion, perhaps it has gotten a little better.

So, my point is not just about the final promotions, but also about the people who have been nominated alongside them (even if they weren't promoted). Member nominations wouldn't do much to help that problem, because you can't make high quality members come from nowhere, or start posting more. There's a big difference between being a good member and being a good member that has moderator qualities to them. Simply being a good poster over time doesn't qualify someone to moderate, and I think some of the nominations here (and in the past, both in the MS and in the general public) have overlooked that point.

And I seem to remember Vertical (among others) stating that drama in comms wasn't such a bad thing

I think it was Jedi Greg Maddux who said that, but given that it resembles what Thomas Jefferson said about revolution, I'm inclined to agree with it. Just depends on the nature of the discussion and the overall point to it.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    That's quite a bit of contempt. What's the deal?

See, that's the problem with public nominations. No one can criticize the nominees without being accused of flaming or something equally lame.

And for the record, of the two names that have been thrown out as potential mods, I don't think either would be at all effective.

Edit - Apparently (good jOBO), three names have been mentioned, but the previous number of two not being effective still stands. Now it becomes a guessing game. Haha!

Amazing.

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    That's quite a bit of contempt. What's the deal?

It was no more or less contemptful than many of the posts that have been made showing displeasure at Tracy's promotion.

Irony, anyone?

17. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I am honestly tired of the status of the administration and moderation here. What's happened is that this board has gotten too big to handle. Now Episode III is around the corner and there will be an influx of users. Is the Administration prepared?

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Wait...huh? How did we go from a discussion on how to promote new moderators to whether or not we're prepared to handle EIII traffic?

19. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think it was a cleverly veiled way of saying that she isn't happy with the administration for another reason other than the one that they promoted someone who she doesn't like. Edit: That, or she is completely lost on new and fresh ideas as how this process would efficiently work, and wishes to take the thread off topic. Or, perhaps, she thinks that mods aren't promoted right for the ROTSSA forum either. Who knows. ;)

20. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I suppose I am just questioning the general capabilities of the Administration/mods. After seeing the response I have rec'd after offering to input I really regret even speaking up.

I know I am not the most popular JC'er here, but darnit I have been here for a long damn time. I've seen this stuff come and go and not say a word. So I decide to say something now and look what is has got me.

Yeah, I really love this place.

21. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    saerah...I'm quite honestly confused. You said a few hours ago that you were going to come back and post an outline for the goals of promotions, etc. Now all of a sudden, you're posting questioning the competency of the administration. Those are two entirely separate topics. Let's keep this thread on what you originally intended it to be - a discussion of how to improve mod promotions.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I fail to see the 'irony'.

There are people who happen to disagree with the current way mods are selected and one post that claims that there are so few 'worthy' candidates from the last few months. As far as I know, there hasn't been a mass exodus from the JC, and just because people don't nessisarily agree with you or the all of the Administration's decisions ver baitem doesn't mean they aren't good candidates for moderator material.

23. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I keep getting PM's telling me to just give it up. And then more PM's telling me to keep going. I'm confused to tell you the truth, Katya. I'm not sure if I am coming or going at this point.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I know I am not the most popular JC'er here, but darnit I have been here for a long damn time. I've seen this stuff come and go and not say a word. So I decide to say something now and look what is has got me.

Well, here's the thing. You have indeed been around a long time, and I remember you being active back when I was first starting to post on a regular basis.

You also just pointed out that these things have come and gone (regardless of whether you've said much or not at the time). Some things (dissatisfaction with the administration, desire for public input on promotions, democracy, etc.) have been issues for about as long as the JC has been around.

The impression I can't help but get is that you haven't looked closely at the history of some of these issues, or recognized that they've been discussed many times.

I certainly respect your desire to actively better the JC. There aren't enough people wanting to do that now. My point is that some things are the way they are for a reason, and some of those reasons are pretty much unchanging, whether the year is 2000, 2002 or 2004.

25. saerah

May 13, 1999
    The impression I can't help but get is that you haven't looked closely at the history of some of these issues, or recognized that they've been discussed many times.

I am afraid I have looked all too closely. That's my problem.

I will be having a heart-to-heart with some older Mods/Admins that no longer come here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.