main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Define Harassment?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Thank you for that concise reply, KK. In the third case, does the person who called it harrassment get informed that it wasn't and told not to bring nuisance charges before the mods?

*Derisa*

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    They may or may not be informed. That depends a lot on the circumstances.

I try very hard not to discuss specific actions against users with anyone but that specific user. That includes whoever complains against that user. Usually, I will at least respond saying that I have dealt with the situation and inf there are additional problems in the future to contact me.

If I detect a pattern of false alarms, then I will speak to the user and explain the reasons behind it.

Kimball Kinnison

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Now, if a user tells another user not to PM them any more, even if the other user is trying to apologize, a subsequent PM could be considered harrassment, but I would classify it as #2, not #1 (in most cases). At that point, all that the moderator needs to do to "step in" is to gently warn the user to let the matter drop and simply not contact that individual unless they contact them first.

Actually, as I was saying above -- I'd even consider it #3, but still just PM the user and let them know not to PM the other user any longer without issuing the warning as well (so, #2a?)...

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Probably not. And based off your comments in the thread, I'd say you got off easy.

something like this can be viewed as: if you don't like it then post else where. This can very well be an harrassment case. and as others have pointed out, pming a user just because they don't like this person and send pms reminding them that everyday would also be considered harrassment. Sending unwanted sex signals falls into this category. signing up with a sock and bash the user either through a pm or out in public is harrassement. Continues to flame someone in a pm while the other person has asked that person to stop is also considered harrassement

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    In the example given, the proper response by a Mod to 'Katya's' complaint that user X apologized to her after she told him never to contact her again for telling her she was 'hawt', the proper response would be to tell "Katya" not to be an idjit.

Exactly. True harassment is fairly clear to understand and interpret - although the people in the midst of it may not see it the same was as the investigator. In all my years in HR, I've had many times where a harassment charge wasn't as much harassment as a one time incident that resolved itself.

On the boards, we deal with back and forth communication in writing. It's up to all users to use their common sense and not send a PM that could be interpreted as harassment - foul language, flaming, etc. It's also up to everyone to ensure that if they feel they are being genuinely harassed that they notify an administrator immediately instead of trying to take it to a public arena and have a post war.

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    IMHO, multiple PMs when you were asked to stop would be harrassment, or just PMing someone who has made it clear they didn't want to speak to you, would be considered harassment, and also baiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.