main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Drug policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Just a quick question.

I assume discussion of illicit substances is okay, but are users allowed to say they use them?

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    From the TOS:
    User agrees not to post material that ... encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.
    If you want to discuss drug use or policy, the Senate is the appropriate forum. Discussion that encourages the use of drugs (either by the user or by anyone else) is not allowed (however, saying that you have used drugs in a discussion on use or policy is allowable, depending on the context). Posting while under the influence of drugs (or claiming to be doing so) is also against the rules.

These same rules apply to alcohol use, although they are a bit more relaxed in that case.

Kimball Kinnison

3. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    So, saying you use drugs is okay.

How about underage users saying they drink?

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    So, saying you use drugs is okay.

Read what I wrote again. It can be ok, depending on the context.

How about underage users saying they drink?

That would be inappropriate, as a general rule, but again could be appropriate as a part of a larger conversation. If they are encouraging illegal behavior (such as underage drinking), then it is definitely not appropriate.

Kimball Kinnison

5. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Is encouraging people to go somewhere it's legal and use drugs okay?

Like, if I were to say that when I was in Canberra I smoked pot, and it was an interesting experience, so I'd encourage those who are curious to find some place it's legal and experiment if they're curious?

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    How about when the medical benefits of an illegal substance are so significant that it warrants its use, but obviously at the same time commits a crime ?

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Like, if I were to say that when I was in Canberra I smoked pot, and it was an interesting experience, so I'd encourage those who are curious to find some place it's legal and experiment if they're curious?

Some places have laws that would even cover their citizens while in a foreign country (such as laws against bribery). As a general rule, the answer is that it would not be allowed. Exceptions would be made by the mods on a case-by-case basis.

Kimball Kinnison

8. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    Intersting - I didn't know that.

9. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    What if simply saying you use pot does encourage it, because User X might think, 'well, if User G uses it, why shouldn't i?'

10. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    How about when the medical benefits of an illegal substance are so significant that it warrants its use, but obviously at the same time commits a crime ?

A discussion like that should be directed to the Senate, where as long as you do not encourage that people break the law it should be fine.

Kimball Kinnison

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    where as long as you do not encourage that people break the law

That would be my point - I would encourage its use where there are no other medications that have significant effects.

12. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    it takes just a little to fall off the edge and get slapped with a ban...... if you push your luck, you may find your luck has run out. read the old threads about it. well, if they were deleted you can't, but if they're just locked....

13. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I'm addicted to coke ;)

14. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    The poster below this has enough crack in their pants to buy a small nation.

15. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    how did you know? [face_shocked]

16. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    The current policy is fine, the last thing Tfn wants is to open the door to a bunch of pot heads.

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    the last thing Tfn wants is to open the door to a bunch of pot heads.

Surely TFn wants as many users as possible, just as long as they obey the TOS. You can't say that people who frequently use pot can't join because of a personal choice they make (which may be legal in their country).

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    But on underage.... see, in the USA it's 21... in almost everywhere else it's 18 or 16 for drinking without a guardian and you can drink younger than that if you are with a guardian present.

So... that brings up an interesting issue.

19. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    So... that brings up an interesting issue.

Not really, just like marijuana's legal in some places, so those people can discuss using it since they did so legally, underage simply means underage according to the local laws.

20. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh man, this is just opening a can of worms.

So thirteen year olds from Spain can talk about drinking wine, but thirteen year olds from New Jersey can't.

This reminds me of that old policy AOL had years ago regarding language allowed in their chatrooms. The one that sticks out in my memory is you could only gay people could use a word that starts with "f" and rhymes with bag. How they planned on enforcing that, I don't know...

21. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    you can say fag here I'm pretty sure it's in the TOS.

22. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    you can say fag here I'm pretty sure it's in the TOS.

Depends on context. If you're using fag as a synonym for gay, then it's not allowed. Also, the use of the word gay as a synonym for bad is not allowed. And if we see people abusing the words, using them for the sake of using them, we?ll crack down on that even if they?re technically being used in what is technically the proper context.

23. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    I thought a "fag" was a cigarette?

24. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, a fag is slang for cigarette. But it's also a derogatory term for a homosexual. If someone says they are smoking a fag, it should probably be assumed that the user is referring to a cigarette, not a homosexual (although context may play a part). But if one user says another is acting like a fag, chances are they don;t mean they mean teh user is acting like a small white cylinder of smooth, rich tobacco that causes cancer.

25. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    So I can call someone a fag, as long as I am referring to the fact he is a skinny white guy resembling a cigarette. And I can call someone a homo, as long as I am suggesting he is a member of the Genus and Species of Homo-Sapien-Sapien. Can we call people we know to be born out of wedlock bastards? Or is that completely out of the question?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.