main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Drug policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    If it was in reference to the famous pop song, then yes.

Blatant drug references would not be acceptable though.

2. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    lol, and isnt it what its about? Pass the dutchie to the left? Sounds like a refrence on sharing a blunt to me, not talking about a song. if it was about a song, it would have mentioned that it was based on a song and not a drug refrence.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I have always been under the impression that the song in question was about Marijuana. Yes, I do know the history of the song, and that it was supposedly about a pot. But seriously, does anyone really believe that?I'd love to see a poll on how many people actually think that song is about a metal pot that is being passed around.

4. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    And why would they pass a metal pot around? makes no sense.

5. Qui Gon Moon

Qui Gon Moon Jedi Master star 5

Apr 15, 2000
    If it was in reference to the famous pop song, then yes.

Blatant drug references would not be acceptable though.

So, if I were to start a thread that was titled...

SHOW ME YOUR *****

That would be cool because it is just a reference to rather famous Lords of Acid tune. Or would that be too blatant?

Should I pick something a little more subtle like...

WHY DON'T WE GET DRUNK AND SCREW??

That would be cool wouldn't it? I mean, come on, who doesn't like a good Jimmy Buffett song every now and then?

[face_cowboy]QGM[face_cowboy]

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Actually, the artists themselves said that the dutchie song was not about marijuana.

Do we really need to take up our time and effort to debate what kinds of questionable threads you can make in the JCC? Keep it family friendly and appropriate for 13 year olds. I'm fully expecting from today on that all of us are going to be cracking down more on "questionable" content. I want this place to be fun for everyone and that means that users (and mods) shouldn't have to cringe when they come into the forum wondering what people have cooked up next.

This might sound a bit maternal (gee, wonder why) but I expect a lot out of everyone here. Let's focus on making this a place that people want to come and enjoy each other's company rather than a place where it's expected that people will behave like immature jackasses.

7. Qui Gon Moon

Apr 15, 2000
    Agreed Katya but it was blatantly obvious from the start where the thread was headed and for Malkie to say it was kosher because it was merely referring to a song is questionable. It's even more questionable given the fact he locked another thread and banned the author due to the content even though he, Malkie, steered it into questionable waters. I hesitate to call it a bait but it sure stinks like bait.

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I'm fully expecting from today on that all of us are going to be cracking down more on "questionable" content. I want this place to be fun for everyone and that means that users (and mods) shouldn't have to cringe when they come into the forum wondering what people have cooked up next.

This might sound a bit maternal (gee, wonder why) but I expect a lot out of everyone here. Let's focus on making this a place that people want to come and enjoy each other's company rather than a place where it's expected that people will behave like immature jackasses.

Wiser words of wisdom have never been spoken.

What exactly is the point of pushing so many buttons?

What is not productive is to go and start posting in threads just to skirt the rules, until finally someone is forced to take action.

IF people have a problem with the way something has been handled, there is an established review system in place.

But it is only effective if it is used.

Otherwise the administration just have each person's individual actions to go by, and that usually means people get themselves into trouble.

9. Qui Gon Moon

Apr 15, 2000
    What is not productive is to go and start posting in threads just to skirt the rules, until finally someone is forced to take action.

Again, I agree. See the "steam" thread in the JCC for my example. It's obvious to most everybody where the thread had the potential to go. It wasn't until a mod steered the thread in that direction that it was locked by the SAME mod and the author subsequently banned.

That's my $0.02. I'll leave it at that.

10. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    It's obvious to most everybody where the thread had the potential to go. It wasn't until a mod steered the thread in that direction that it was locked by the SAME mod and the author subsequently banned.

I don't agree that the thread didn't start that way from the first post. But this isn't the place to discuss what happened regarding the author of that thread. If you have a concern, please PM me.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Basically, what Katya said, especially the following.

Let's focus on making this a place that people want to come and enjoy each other's company rather than a place where it's expected that people will behave like immature jackasses.

It's a chore to moderate while users are constantly trying to push the limits of acceptability. The JCC is about people who have an interest in StarWars talking about non-StarWars related subjects. Surely we have a lot of common ground outside of the Lucas Universe.

Personally I like to think positively at all time - I try to find the good in people rather than the negative - (I'm an optimist). So, if someone posts about a song which was sang by a bunch of kids I'd like to think thats where they are heading, rather than starting the thread just to make a cute drug reference that the Mods might not notice. I'm perfectly aware of the double meaning of "dutchie", but I'd prefer to think the user started the thread in innocence. (The user has never been in trouble before).

Perhaps we should all reflect why we are here. Personally, I want to discuss the latest on goings in the prowrestling thread - the transfer speculation in the football (soccer) thread, and a couple of the social threads where I have good friends.

I don't really want to spend my time having to check every second thread incase there might be some double meaning that I'm missing.

Make the place fun, contribute to the fun, or find somewhere else on the internet to call home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.