main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Flaming/baiting question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Pellaeon-Firke, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    What's up with editing flames/baits? I've seen threads where flames are edited and threads where flames were unedited, and I think that's true as well for baits. Is there a set policy on when to edit and when not to edit flames and baits?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Just a matter of judgment calls by moderators, assuming that a moderator sees the matter in question.

3. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    I would just add to what KW said that sometimes mods elect to just post a warning in that thread instead of going back and editing posts (unless they are really bad, or the thread has been warned previously). After the first warning usaully is when posts start getting edited.

4. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    It's all based on each mod's judgement, which is based on the nature and context of the flame. Some things would be a flame in certain threads, and perfectly fine in others, depending on context. Just PM a mod if you have a major issue, and he/she will explain it to you (hopefully).

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Pellaeon...
    "Is there a set policy on when to edit and when not to edit flames and baits?"

The Terms of Service addresses this directly:
      "The Jedi Council Administration has the right but not the obligation to monitor and/or moderate the Forums, and offers no assurances in this regard.... Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us. We have the ability to remove messages and we will make every effort to do so within a reasonable time if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to act immediately. Removal of messages is at the sole discretion of the Administration."
    So, yes, the set policy is that removal through editing or purging of objectionable messages is to be done "when necessary." Furthermore, it also sheds light on what "when necessary" means. "When necessary" is defined as being determined by the "sole discretion of the Administration," which usually comes in the form of individual moderators taking action.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    You really cannot make one set of rules on something as general as flaming and baiting. To put rules would be a restriction on things. Basically if you see a flame or bait which needs to be taken care of, contact a mod and they will use their own judgement. It is too complicated of a subject with diverse degrees that it takes a mod's judgement on a case to case basis.

-Seldon

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Actually, it is possible. There's already a good set of specific rules already made, but it's really up to the individual moderator how strictly they will go by them.

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Hi I did not want to make a new thread about this and I thought that thread was the right one.

My question what is the policy when I user sends you flamming and almost swearing words by PM plus follow you and your posts or threads only to keep harr.. you? Do you call this breaking the TOS?

PM me please this problem is getting too serious. I will be edit: showing the user's PMs.

Thank you.

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    My question what is the policy when I user sends you flamming and almost swearing words by PM plus follow you and your posts or threads only to keep harr.. you? Do you call this breaking the TOS?

PM me please this problem is getting too serious. I will bew showing the user's PMs.

What you need to do is PM any admin and explain the situation and the user involved, and ask them to log into your account and verrify it via PM. Then, the admin will take appropriate action.

It has to be an admin though, so Kate, Kimball, Raven or Sape.

10. PatttyB0123

Apr 2, 2003
    Thank you droideka27 I will do that tonight when I come from work.

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    "harr.." is against the TOS. Harassing is, too.

12. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Pattttttttty be sure to to PM one of the Mod's Dani has in her pocket, or your request will fall on deaf ears.

13. PatttyB0123

Apr 2, 2003
    *Pattttttttty be sure to to PM one of the Mod's Dani has in her pocket,* Its okay and thanks.

I don't to make a drama in here. PM is the best way.

I see how much time I have right now. I have to get going soon to work.

[face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.