main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] If you have a technical error, log it in here.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jul 15, 2003.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think Grimby put that up. He might know if you can permanently block it. You can close it - over on the right hand side there's an 'x' in a red box. (It's small).

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Try completely closing out Chrome (all open windows) and restarting it. That usually works for me when pages with a lot of Flash slow the browser down. If that doesn't work, you can try closing it as LAJ suggested, or maybe try using an ad blocker to block it from loading.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, guys!

4. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I just started getting the antivirus warnings from the banners again. Literally just started, and I headed here the instant it began.

5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I just got one too.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Me too, haven't had it for a while but few hours ago got the AV warning and I logged off.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Avast's warning siren tells me we've got problems again.:(

8. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    I just got one too. It's never happened to me before.

This is what McAfee had to say (I omitted my username and any other computer-identifying info:

2010/11/23 8:33:58 AM Script execution blocked <username> iexplore.exe(http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10003) Script executed by iexplore.exe Exploit-HelpOverflow (Trojan)

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Firefox isn't kicking anything up for me nor does Google have us tagged as a bad site. Do you recall what board you were on when it happened? Maybe it's just a bad banner script.

Edit - the boards were running really slowly last night when I went off. That was around noon board time. And the error message above lists the board as Lit (board 10003). Where the rest of you there when it happened?

Edit2 - OK. I went into Lit and got error messages for Adobe, similar to stuff last time. I've swapped out the banner there for a different one. If you get the errors on any other board please let us know. I've reported the problem in MS and in the Admin forum. Hopefully we've nipped it in the bud this time.

10. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I am getting the same thing, on all boards I go to. EU, Communications, Star Wars Community, RPF, Census....

Pretty much the same message I was getting last time when tf.net was tagged by google.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can you guys provide more information on exactly what warnings/errors you're getting?

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    So far I've only gotten it in Lit, and that was earlier before I switched the banner. All I had was an Adobe message come up saying something like 'Invalid Operation'. That's in Firefox 3.6.4 on Win XP. Norton didn't trip at all. When I tried Lit again I thought I saw a reference to Imageshack in the display of things loading in the lower left hand corner of the browser. I've only just come back on and so far I haven't had any problems.

13. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Same as last time I had this problem- here's the full text of the alert message:

Online Shield alert

Accessed file is infected

Threat was blocked!

File name: www1.theforce.net/jc/jc_scripts/headcall.js

Threat name: virus found in HTML/Framer

Then it has 'more information about this threat', but the link won't take you anywhere even if you click it.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks for that. In the last hour or so I think I've nailed down the problem. We're going to be changing all of the banners to make sure this problem doesn't persist.

15. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Just glad I could help. [face_peace]

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I was getting an "Access Denied" message a few minutes ago when I tried to type in the direct URL for a couple of the forums here. It seems to have gone away for now, but it might be something that's worth looking into.

17. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Sorry I didn't think to give more info earlier Grimby, but what ever you did worked because it isn't happening now.

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks for the info everyone. If you continue getting any errors, please keep posting them.

We've currently resorted to switching all forums to a banner that uses different code. Whatever vulnerability the previous code might have been causing, it's not happening anymore with this banner.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Not to mention that the boards run much faster now.

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This is roughly the same banner code that will be used on the new boards, so I'm glad to hear things are running a bit faster. :)

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So everything's going to be in uniformity from now on? No more Individual banners for each board?

22. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm having a PM convo with someone and the Face_Tongues seem to not be working for her at times. I'm not having any trouble yet, but she has been for the last few PMs.

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Juliet, we will be making new individual banners for each board. We can't go back the other ones though, unfortunately, until after the move. At least for the time being, we've eliminated the malicious code by switching to this new banner.

24. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    On the main page of tf.net I am getting the same trend micro av message that I was getting the other day. "Unauthorized URL Detected!" "http://the-imageshack.com/291058/index.php"

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just to verify - that's on the main page of TFN Main, not these boards?