main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Let's talk about the JC Spoiler Policy.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediJeffro, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Just for clarification's sake, is it acceptable to post links to spoilers in forums that are not 3SA as long as there is a clear and obvious spoiler warning?

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Just out of interest, why would you want to ?

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Until earlier today, I thought you could link to 3SA, as long as there was a visible spoiler warning.

Apparently that isn't true, and it was one of the "unwritten rules" that people were supposed to abide by even though it wasn't posted anywhere.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    If it's in a thread that allows spoilers freely, no, you don't need a warning. For example, if someone wants to link to a 3SA thread in The Revenge of the Sith novelization by Matt Stover (spoilers allowed) in Literature, they're free to do so. The content of the thread should be obvious from the thread title. If you've waded through the spoilers in the thread to get to the link, no special warning should be needed.

Otherwise, yes, you definitely need a warning.

EDIT: I don't know of any rule that says you can't link to 3SA, so long as you have a spoiler warning.

5. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    malkieD2 posted on 3/25/05 9:00am
    Just out of interest, why would you want to ?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Let's say, for instance, someone made a funny joke in 3SA and I wanted to link to it in JCC, but it was in a thread with spoilers. Or, more realistically, if I was participating in a Comms thread and had to link to 3SA. If I post spoiler warnings in both instances, is that allowed?

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Tracy actually brought this up for discussion in the MS. I don't honestly think there is an established policy (I could be wrong) - however I think it would be in the interests of the spoiler-free community to ask the spoiler-interested community not to directly link to the 3SA.

However you'd have to be a bit silly to click on a link that has /Revenge_of_the_Sith_(Spoilers_Allowed) in the URL.

I personally think it would be a good idea to ask people not to link to the 3SA outside of the 3SA.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I've allowed links to 3SA before so long as there is a clear spoiler warning in and outside of the link itself. And the link isn't a spoiler of course.

I didn't realize it was an 'unwritten' rule.

8. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    Raven posted on 3/25/05 9:07am
    If it's in a thread that allows spoilers freely, no, you don't need a warning. For example, if someone wants to link to a 3SA thread in [b]The Revenge of the Sith novelization by Matt Stover (spoilers allowed)[/b] in Literature, they're free to do so. The content of the thread should be obvious from the thread title. If you've waded through the spoilers in the thread to get to the link, no special warning should be needed.

Otherwise, yes, you definitely need a warning.
    [hr][/blockquote]

If someone posts a link to a spoilers thread with a clear spoiler warning, is it appropriate to ban them?

9. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If someone posts a link to a spoilers thread with a clear spoiler warning, is it appropriate to ban them?

I would think not - unless they'd repeatedly done it, or worst still misdirected people to the 3SA.

10. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    malkie, check out part "H" under "Topics" in the YJCC Rules and Policy thread.

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    H. Star Wars discussion is not allowed in this forum. Spoilers are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to be posted, and you will most likely recieve a ban if you post any(this includes linking to spoilers EVEN with a warning, or posting pictures). Please use Star Wars Community Forum for discussions of Star Wars in your daily life.

Um yeah, I think that clears that up. Personally, I'd be unlikly to enforce that rule unless malice was intended (ie a misdirection).

12. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    I think the question and confusion revolves around the this includes linking to spoilers EVEN with a warning part.

I know I personally had previously assumed that linking to spoilers was allowed if there was a visible spoiler warning. I'd like to think I'm pretty well versed with the JC rules, and that part was new to me.

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So, let me get this straight: No links to 3SA are allowed in the JCC whatsoever, according to JCC policies.

14. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    So if that rule were theoretically added AFTER a user was banned for it, would that ban still be appropriate?

15. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    H. Star Wars discussion is not allowed in this forum. Spoilers are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to be posted, and you will most likely recieve a ban if you post any(this includes linking to spoilers EVEN with a warning, or posting pictures). Please use Star Wars Community Forum for discussions of Star Wars in your daily life.

Whoa! I don't think alot of folks are aware of that because I know that people have discussed the trailer as being awesome and other things but I've never seen anyone give a spoiler without a warning.

Is there a way that particular rule could be reviewed or rewritten? Groups like the BYS discuss Blue Yoda and Blue Yoda theories all the time. I know in the Ward and the SSA we've talked about books and the trailer.

Seems silly that such a big part of our lives would be taboo to discuss in a social thread.

:)

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I didn't think that I'd read that rule before :( But it's been pointed out to me that the rule was added only a few hours ago, which is probably why I hadn't.

Ok, I'm officially confused.

Personally, I think it's a reasonable enough of a rule, however if it wasn't made clear to people then I don't think we should be banning them. I realise that comment might leave my fellow mods out to dry, but it's how I feel.

17. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "But it's been pointed out to me that the rule was added only a few hours ago, which is probably why I hadn't."

A rule was added that a JCC mod wasn't aware of?

Also, it sounds like it was a rule beforehand, but just wasn't written down. Which also makes it odd that one of the mods didn't know about it.

Personally, I'd get rid about that crap about not allowing them WITH spoiler warnings, and go back to how most people think it is.

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You can't ban someone for a rule that isn't a rule at the time of their banning. Just like you can't arrest someone for doing something before it became illegal.

19. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, the whole "ex post facto" thing.

The way the post was worded makes it sound like the rule existed before, but just wasn't listed (and I'm not sure how anyone was supposed to know about it, but I digress).

20. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    Errant_Venture posted on 3/25/05 9:27am
    You can't ban someone for a rule that isn't a rule at the time of their banning. Just like you can't arrest someone for doing something before it became illegal.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I'm glad we agree, E_V, because that very thing happened in JCC. I realize specific bannings aren't allowed to be discussed in Comms, but if mods are banning people and then making up rules to cover themselves WITHOUT the approval of half of that forum's mod staff, it's definitely an issue.

21. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    You can't ban someone for a rule that isn't a rule at the time of their banning.

In general, for day-to-day stuff, you?re completely correct. This was a pretty routine matter. If a new rule was to be implemented, a warning should have more than sufficed. Given that this was done a) without a rule written down in place about it, b) completely non-maliciously, c) that in fact a strong effort was made to keep the link from harming anyone unintentionally, d) that this was a first time offender (who used to moderate in the forum for goodness sake!), this should definitely not have been a ban.

Whether or not the rule stays (and I hope it doesn?t), I think that an apology is owed.

22. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    Mind you, the first step in apologizing would seem as though it should be the cessation of the ban.

23. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I put the rule in the thread asap, because at the time I thought it was a rule. It is completely open for modification. But if someone was going to be banned for it, it needed to be in the rules (I thought) to prevent anyone else from doing what now appears to be a banable offense.

I was not trying to radically change jcc policy, but i didn't want more people getting banned over the same thing if it was preventable.

I personally think that there is no real reason to post spoilers in jcc, and if that is going to be a rule, that's fine with me. I don't want people accidentally getting spoiled. As far as whether you can post spoilers with warnings or not, I just don't know.

The rules are not set in stone. I made an amendment to them AFTER the banning. AFTER. Just as a precautionary measure.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    And the issue here is that the banning mod thought it was one of the unwritten rules. Not that they were trying to invent rules. Nothing was done maliciously on either side.

25. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Let's clear a few things up:

At the time of what happened last night, I was(and still am) under the impression that posting(or linking to in a post) spoilers(even with a warning) would lead to a short ban. This is what happened last night. To me, this was already a rule(I know it's not something new).

As for the line that was added to the JCC rules and policy, after discussion with the user in question, droideka27 and myself felt like it might be a good idea to make sure the rule above was written down, to avoid confusion. Not to make a new policy, or to make a new policy to cover a banning that we'd done. That was not the intention. Only clarity.

Now if it turns out that you can post spoilers in JCC, or that they are acceptable to be linked to with a warning, then I will most definitely apologize. However, if that is the case, I was not and am not aware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.