main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Let's talk about the JC Spoiler Policy.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediJeffro, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    m'ok - so it's a misunderstanding of what *exactly* the rules are, right? No-one intended any harm on either side.

So, should we unban the affected and hammer out a final policy ?

edit I think it would be a good idea to ensure a spoiler-free community by not allowing links to spoilers in the JCC

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm rarely, if ever in the JC, so this really doesn't affect me, per se... but I'm curious just the same.

If there's a spoiler, and the person warns clearly before posting the link that it goes to a spoiler, and then warns in the link itself that it's a spoiler, how is that not good enough? How can people still be spoiled unintentionally if they're warned in advance? It seems to me that if you click on a link that says clearly "SPOILERS" then it's your own fault.

Not trying to cause trouble here... I just don't get it.

Jes

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    So, should we unban the affected and hammer out a final policy ?

I don't know if a final policy needs to be hammered out, I think the policy we have is okay, if indeed that is our policy :p I think we need to clear up, once and for all, what the policy actually is(and revise it if need be, I suppose). If it comes out that I was wrong on the policy, I think that's the point that we should unban and apologize to those affected, rather than now. Just my opinion.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    If there's a spoiler, and the person warns clearly before posting the link that it goes to a spoiler, and then warns in the link itself that it's a spoiler, how is that not good enough? How can people still be spoiled unintentionally if they're warned in advance? It seems to me that if you click on a link that says clearly "SPOILERS" then it's your own fault.

It's JCC... You're not supposed to talk about Star wars in any manner in that forum, there's just no real place for it. I honestly can't think of any place that it would be necessary to link to spoilers.

Our forum users don't expect to see spoilers in jcc so even with a warning they might accidentally click and get spoiled.

Better safe than sorry. I would much rather have a scrict rule than have people accidentally spoiled.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I was going to post a thread on spoilers, but I think mine would have taken a different approach.

ANY spoilers (be they in signatures or posts) outside of 3SA should be met with a harsh, lengthy ban. If it's deemed to have been done intentionally, the ban should be no less than 3 months, and preferably longer than that. If it was just done out of thoughtlesness, it should still be several weeks long.

I'm a pretty subjective person on most things, but not when it comes to spoilers. There's no excuse for it, and it should be dealt with swiftly and strongly. Show no mercy.

6. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks, droideka. As I said, I'm not in the JCC, so... I was just wondering.

What's the policy outside the JCC? Like, for example, in Saga?

7. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    JCC policy on this has been modified and formalized:

See all the rules here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/18049269/?44

"H. Star Wars Spoilers are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to be posted, and you WILL recieve a ban if you post any(this includes linking to spoilers EVEN with a warning, or posting pictures). "

Saga? I dunno. generally it's a ban for any spoilers that aren't hidden or linked with clear warnings, but it depends. That is what we are trying to get clear in this thread :)

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "It's JCC... You're not supposed to talk about Star wars in any manner in that forum, there's just no real place for it. I honestly can't think of any place that it would be necessary to link to spoilers."

The various social groups discuss Star Wars from time to time. It's natural, this is a SW forum, and with groups like the Blue Yoda Society, the Shadow Sith Army, etc, it should be expected that Star Wars may come up once and a while.

That said, even if SW shouldn't be talked about in that forum, making it a bannable offense seems kinda strict. Spoilers for other movies are usually allowed if they are highlight-to-read or come with a spoiler warning. Granted, a ban for intentionally spoiling someone without any sort of warning should be stricter for SW than anything else.

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    As far as the spoiler rule goes, i think it's good to be strict. there's no reason to be leanient. And being spoiled is a huge deal. We have a responsibilty to protect the users from being spoiled, and this rule will help majorly.

If the people in the social groups want to discuss spoilers they can take it to spoiler threads in other forums, or do so via PM or offboards.

Waaaaaaaaay better to be safe than sorry.

10. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "As far as the spoiler rule goes, i think it's good to be strict. there's no reason to be leanient. And being spoiled is a huge deal. We have a responsibilty to protect the users from being spoiled, and this rule will help majorly."

Will it? If someone is stupid enough to click a link that has a spoiler warning... how can they blame anyone else? There might be spoilers in TFN news articles linked to in the little box at the bottom of the forum, shouldn't that be removed too then?

"If the people in the social groups want to discuss spoilers they can take it to spoiler threads in other forums, or do so via PM or offboards."

Yes, they shouldn't be discussing spoilers in their thread. But if someone mentions something from the trailer in a social thread, someone else might want to say "hey, if you want more discussion about [something from the trailer], see whatever thread (SPOILERS)". As the rule seems to be written now, they couldn't even provide a link to a 3SA thread, even though it is clearly marked.

11. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    All of this is complete news to me that you can't talk about Star Wars in the YJCC. I know that in the Ward we have and Jeff makes a good point that several social groups have a SW reference in their name. If someone comes into the Shadow Sith Army and asks can you explain what Sith is I know I'd probably without evening thinking about it post a link from the SW Databank with the explaination.

As for SW references in signatures, that would also mean getting rid of all EP3 icons because those are technically spoilers. Even a user with a name from EP3 would be a spoiler.

If people are respectful and warn folks ****~~~~>>>>>Hey this link contains an EP3 Spoiler<<<<<<~~~~~***** then shouldn't that really be sufficient? There is a line between people being malicious and people saying "Hey this is cool check it out".

What about people talking other things? I know a woman was speaking about getting married in Leia's ceremonial gown. I also know that there have been pics posted of funny stormtrooper pics.

I think it really comes down to are people having fun and talking amongst themselves or are people trying to be trolls and jerks and ruin it for those who are HCSF.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    NO spoilers should be posted ANYWHERE outside 3SA, regardless of how much warning is given.

NOTHING. Zilch. Zero. None.

If someone does that, they should be history for weeks, if not months.

13. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Josh, what about a link with a warning?

I can understand how people might browse over a spoiler warning when going over reading replies to a thread, so spoilers shouldn't be in the text itself, but that shouldn't be a problem with links (unless people click links without reading the text around it to see what it might be)

14. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, are we speaking of ep3 spoilers only or SW as a whole. This is what is confusing me. If it is ep3 then I agree that all spoilers belong in the 3SA.

15. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    If someone does that, they should be history for weeks, if not months.

For the record, I think it would be kind of ridiculous to ban someone for longer than the spoilers are valid. If someone posts a spoiler now and is banned until way after May 19th, that's kind of stupid because at that point they aren't spoilers anymore, they're plot points.

Also, I think that if there's a clear warning and someone decides to click the link anyway, it's their own fault, but people at JCC have never been renowned for their intelligence, so I can see why the warnings aren't enough for anyone.

Edit: nm

16. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Episode III spoilers ONLY, not star wars discussion.

I apologize for making that confusing with my earlier wording.

17. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, thank you for clearing that up. For a change I was confused 8-}

And isn't everyone glad that come May 19th this won't be an issue? :D

18. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I just want to make it that far without getting more spoiled than i already accidentally am. :(

19. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Actually, the novelization of the movie comes out next week, so technically, everything becomes an issue.

This goes back to the incident in Fan Force, when the title of the movie was released...and several people were banned, because people thought the title of the movie was a Spoiler.

Banners and Icons have contained spoilers for almost as long as I have been here...yet nothing was done with them.

A little discussion of SW in the YJCC, in the social groups is going to happen, hard not to do it, when you have books, comics, trailers, legos, figures, calendars, posters, costumes...you name it.

The little tiny Homepage SitRep at the bottom of every page has SW Spoilers and News...and the Banners in every forum too.

YJCC is not immune to having SW in the forum or threads that are already there...it is not allowed to have total topics involving SW.

I mean...you allowed talk of the Star Wars kid in the YJCC!!!!!

20. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Star Wars is life. But people can exercise a bit of restraint and be respectful of the spoiler free and not discuss ROTS in JCC.

I don't want to hear about the merchandise (If i did I'd go to collecting), or the soundtrack (music forum), or various other specifics. If you want to talk about how ROTS is impacting your life in JCC< feel free. Just keep the spoilers out of it.

21. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    of course...now I see that some posts were done while I was writing. :p

Your clarification makes a huge difference...and makes sense.

thank you. :p

22. droideka27

May 28, 2002
  23. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    now that we have that settled...let's get back to our regularly scheduled program. :p

24. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    droideka27 posted on 3/25/05 2:24pm
    Star Wars is life.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Amen sista! \m/

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Personally, I think saying "OMG DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU ARE SPOILER FREE BECAUSE THIS LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS, I'M SERIOUS, IT REALLY DOES, PLEASE DO NOT CLICK THIS, SPOILER FREE PEOPLE" before a link should be fine. :p

Then again, there really isn't a need to do so in the JCC forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.