main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Lock Out The Posters, Don't Lock Down The Thread- A Serious Discussion

Discussion in 'Communications' started by GenOochy, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    A recent problem is the good threads get locked down due to being de-railed. While the suspects get a 24-72hr ban, the problem coninutes and the damage is done. This is a growing problem in the YJCC.

De-railing a thread should carry a hefty penalty, and if you have to lock down someones good* thread, then someone needs to pay. I've seen this done and it needs to stop. If you do lock down the thread, offer the owner the chace to restart it with a freash thread and if one person trys to go anything, make them pay. Examples of the was the Flirt Thread, Ask Ambyr, and the Survivor threads. I wasn't part of all of them, but seeing them locked made me look into them. While people were banned or warned, some of these problems went on for days even weeks. If at first mod edit then had said, "no more or bans will follow", then the derailment would have stopped, but it went on untill the thread was toast, and finally locked and people were banned. If you give them 5 chances the will do it 5 times. One warning followed by a ban.

This is my opinion on the subject.

*Good-[i]A decent thread with a mature and/or good substance to it.[/i]
    [hr]

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    You would have to clearly define what "de-railing" is. It's all subject to how you interpret the orginal post.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Excellent points. This is a stance I'm very much in agreement with and practices I've tried to use when modding.

4. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    You would have to clearly define what "de-railing" is. It's all subject to how you interpret the orginal post.

Derailing is when FemaleUserABC* starts a thread for girls only in the YJCC to socialize and discuss differnet issues. It is invaded by boys who post things like running through the thread naked, puting on bikkis, ect. They do this and the thread can never go the way it is suppose to, and is finally locked by the owner**.

That's derailing.

* Name changed to protect the innocent
    ** The above is a real incident

And I salute you, geen and blue man! ;)

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I abstain from locking a thread unless I receive numerous problems from it by several users. Even in those cases, I try to punish the offenders accordingly and leave the thread unlocked. If the thread is a magnet for trouble, well that is a different case.

6. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    I understand, but sometimes it's a good thread and alot of bad posters.

BTW, what are the rules for banning. Like if someone is annoying and has to be edited and warned and even banned several times, when do you just decide to permaban?

Ask Ambry, was the thread I saw derailed and destoryed by these types. Do you give the option for the thread to start over fresh once the problems are removed?

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Derailing is when FemaleUserABC* starts a thread for girls only in the YJCC to socialize and discuss differnet issues. It is invaded by boys who post things like running through the thread naked, puting on bikkis, ect. They do this and the thread can never go the way it is suppose to, and is finally locked by the owner**.

That's derailing.

I agree with that, but there have been lighter incidents of de-railing. If you were to establish rules about it, you'd have to clearly define the rules.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    GenOochy...
    "BTW, what are the rules for banning. Like if someone is annoying and has to be edited and warned and even banned several times, when do you just decide to permaban?"

"Permaban" is something which held far more mraning than it currently does. And it can be carried out as quickly as on a first offense, or as slowly as after many, many years of abuses have gone by from an individual.

The one clear "rule for banning" is that this site has Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service for its use. Break them and one can expect to see one's site privileges to be impacted in some manner.

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    The ask ambyr thread, if it was to stay directly on topic would only allow for people to ask questions, recieve advice from AMBYR only, and to respond with their appreciation/disgust. That would be on topic. In reality, multiple users that were on at the time, all joined into the discussion, turning it into a light hearted advice thread, with people asking silly questions and just generally having a good time. Forgive me for trying to enjoy myself in jcc... i didn't realize we were not allowed to deviate from the origional topic at all... because that thread's topic was so prescious.

Also, I'm glad you clarified that this was a serious discussion and all. Sometimes it sure is hard to tell in Comms, with all the joking and lighthearted community building that goes on in this forum [face_plain]

10. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Bingo, so say:

Anything that is off topic in a disruptive manner is considered derailing.

[i]"Permaban" is something which held far more mraning than it currently does. And it can be carried out as quickly as on a first offense, or as slowly as after many, many years of abuses have gone by from an individual. [/i]

[hl=dodgerblue][color=springgreen][b]EDIT: Yeah, it is.[/b][/color][/hl]

Sorry, I had to say that. If it's flaming, edit it please.
    [hr]

[i]Also, I'm glad you clarified that this was a serious discussion and all. Sometimes it sure is hard to tell in Comms, with all the joking and lighthearted community building that goes on in this forum [/i]

Tearing up other people's work with pointless post is not community building Mr. Droid.

11. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Tearing up other people's work with pointless post is not community building Mr. Droid.

1. the community building part was a joke. :)

2. My post was far from pointless. The comment at the end was even constructive in an odd way, helping you to cut back on your redundancy. Or maybe you were impyling that comms isn't the place for serious discussion unless the topic proclaims it so?

3. Do you mean the offical LNLs? Because I was under the impression that group disbanded over a year ago, if not much more. As a matter of fact, since Dags first became a mod, the JCC has had quite awesome late night coverage, which it didn't have prior to him being promoted. If you feel it's an issue now, perhaps it's because he was gone, and TBF was still learning the ropes. And things should turn around again.

EDIT: a few too many typos to ignore

12. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Sorry Genghis12! :( I was afaird it might be, but I have personal problems with some people. Sorry again.

Okay, I mis-understood Droideka. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.