main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] New Registration Policy is Needed

Discussion in 'Communications' started by comet1440, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    [speech]

if you were a troll type individial , think about how big of a target this site would be . to register and gain complete access to every board in the jc (except private ones ) all you would need is a valid e-mail .
    if a new policy was to be created , making it much more difficult for anyone to post , trolls would most likely move along to some other un protected forum and leave troll proof tf.n alone . we are a peaceful community of jc'ers and star wars fans , but for some reason some people get thrills out of seeing the members of this site pissed off . unless permanent measures are taken the trolls will multiply and threaten our peaceful e-town .
    [/speech]

i dont how this would be done , but there are some smart people on this site that could help .

any ideas ?

2. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    The recent Trolls in 3SA were funny I thought, especily the Trek thread, lol.

Keep it like it is.
    They ban them when they get out of control.

Besides, its funny to watch.

3. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    they were funny , but at the same time annoying as well .

4. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Anything new would create extra work for the mods and ZeroSleep.

What your talking bout sounds like extra codeing, that doiesnt happen usualy.

5. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    What do you suggest? We quiz them?

"Do you like Star Wars?

A. Yes.
    B. No.
    C. Maybe."
    _jOBO

6. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe a 1 username per email limit.

7. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Earwen_Sky would hate that :p

8. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    What do we do about currently existing socks, jace? That is, non-trolling ones, such as JediWarrior's? Keep the ones existing under one email, but allow no more?

Eh, might work.
    _jOBO

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Many things have been suggested, none have ever, and I doubt will ever happen.

1. Too difficult to implement and enforce. What makes someone worthy to post? One Name per E-mail? Okay. I'll go out and register 50 e-mail addys.

2. You think this is bad, wait till episode 3 actually comes out.

3. This is supposed to an open forum for all Star Wars fans. 3NSA went registration because they are a select group who want to view epIII a specific way. 3SA is for all fans. Its the place where any Star Wars fan who wants to know what is going to happen should be able to come in and find any bit of info he wants. You put a restriction on it and you are telling them that aren't worthy of your precious information. Its the same reason we don't have any real hoops to jump through to register at the JC in general. You make it difficult, and yes you keep out the trolls, but you also keep out other fans who just want to talk Star Wars. Not everyone wants to go through hoops to join a message board. And many people, if you make them, will just say, "to hell with them," and go join some place that's easier to get into. You're just creating an atmosphere that is unwelcoming to anyone new.

Spam is going to happen, trolls are going happen. If you can't deal with that, leave the internet. You are a regular at the board here that is probably the most high profile. It comes with the territory. And like I said, wait till epIII comes out. When you get tons of spam, not from trolls, but from eager newbies, anxious to talk Star Wars. You want to keep them out till they meet some sort of criteria? Just because you're afraid a couple other people might troll? Sorry, that shouldn't be the way this place works. People come here, excited about the movie, anxious to talk about it with other fans, and maybe meet some new people, and you show them a locked door?

Sorry, I absolutly hate that idea.

10. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    What do we do about currently existing socks, jace? That is, non-trolling ones, such as JediWarrior's? Keep the ones existing under one email, but allow no more?

Well with a change in the system, I don't think pre-existing socks would be deleted. I dunno.

Trolls will always find a way though, so any sort of registration regulation is futile.

11. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Sorry, I absolutly hate that idea.

you wont be saying that when spam increases by 500% .

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Did you read my post or just the last line?

13. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    i read the whole thing , it makes sense if you think a lot of spam should be tolerated . i dont .

14. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Where did I say spam should be tolerated? But you don't keep every new person out just to stop a few bad ones. You deal with bad ones. I suggest you read this part again:

wait till epIII comes out. When you get tons of spam, not from trolls, but from eager newbies, anxious to talk Star Wars. You want to keep them out till they meet some sort of criteria? Just because you're afraid a couple other people might troll? Sorry, that shouldn't be the way this place works. People come here, excited about the movie, anxious to talk about it with other fans, and maybe meet some new people, and you show them a locked door?

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I agree with the fellow former administration on this issue.

And, comet, if you're going to suggest that a new Registration Policy is Needed, then at least take the time an effort to come up with some sort of possible solution, rather than posting "we need to make a change, but I now defer to the smart people to actually think up how it will work".

I mean, in my eyes at least, this whole thread is spam. Ironic, huh?

16. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    We should ban this troll. :-B

17. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    The Jedi Council has been alive for over 5 years. I think if there was a more effecient way of stopping trolls, it would have been invented by now.

18. Semblance

Semblance Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2003
    3SA needs a new mod or two. The current mods don't spend enough time there. Even the weekday evenings don't have coverage sometimes.

19. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall having one instance of computer generated trolling. What about one of those newfangled image codeword things I've been eharing so much about on the radioscope?

20. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I always found those tacky, but they are effective.

¤Night

21. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm we could have ours be a moral lesson and a test.

"drugs are bad mmmkay"

or if Josh wants to get involved

"Jesus saves"

22. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    when there is a prolonged troll attack happening the administration should temporarily disable registration. afterall, if the trolls can't keep registering new accounts then the attack will be over pretty quick, no?

23. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    That would keep legitimate users away. Thats bad.

Just keep permabanning/IPbanning the trolls.

24. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I think the next step to a more peaceful board (in the case of the 3SA), would be more mods. One or two more should be good, maybe more as Episode III rapidly approaches.

25. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    That would keep legitimate users away. Thats bad.

um, yeah, because so many legitimate users will be trying to register during the hour or 2 that registration is temporarily disabled, right?

Just keep permabanning/IPbanning the trolls.

that won't stop them when they're using aol or proxies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.