main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Official Banner Makers Thread II: Attack of the Banners

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Devwi

Master_Devwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2004
  2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I like it. I think it might look cooler if you made the logo in the top left corner a bit larger by implementing a "curve" image, much like the current banner here uses one. Also, I think the MainMenuLink and AuthorLink colors could stand to be a little more visible. Maybe try using a white or yellow color for MainMenuLink, and adding a background to AuthorLink?

Edit: AuthorLink actually looks OK, referring to the link at the very top. I was initially looking at your username above the icon, which is a completely different style.

3. Master_Devwi

Jul 20, 2004
    Okay, here's version 2 of my new Star Wars Celebration IV forum banner based on the logo announced at Comic Con 2006! Also, here's a preview of what the thread list area of the board would look like (pardon the non-technical name - I can't seem to remember the correct one tonight. :p)

What do you think?

4. Master_Devwi

Jul 20, 2004
    Sorry, I wanted to notify you that I've taken down the forum preview image above and replaced it with a .html preview of the forum, as well as a .html preview of a thread with many replies. The links to these two new test pages can be found at the bottom of the "test C4 Announcement Post" in the first link above.

5. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Here is my rough draft (can't decide which section to make it for.) And I was wondering... how do you get Photoshop to do slices? I can get the lines on the image for it, but it's not slicing. :( I have photoshop 6.

http://www.geocities.com/lamiaashredfern/Twinsbannertestcopy.jpg

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Inside your lines (or "slices"), switch to the Slice Selector tool (right below the Slice tool), you'll get a menu then to name it and give it its dimensions.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    With PSP I just maunally select it, it's quicker for me.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The banner is good and off to a nice start. I actually like the distinct lines between scenes. It's a departure from the norm and it works. One thing I'd like to see changed, and I mean no offense by this, is a higher quality and resolution of the images. I like the sunser colors. Very nice. But the fact the images are out-of-focus and dull instead of crisp tend to be what the eye focuses on.

9. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I like the banner as well, but I agree with what DarthSapient is saying. A few of the images seem grainy and streched a bit. I think if you re-work a few higher quality images in there, it will look great, nice work. :)

10. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I come asking for a big favor...I asked HanSolo29 about finding someone and this is where she suggested I try. I am looking for someone to help the St. Louis Fan Force with some banners. Our usual banner maker has become too busy, and we really need a new one (or two). I, unfortunately have no idea how to do it. If one of you talented people have the time or inclination to help I would be very excited!

Please PM me if you can help.
    Thank you!

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    While I have great respect for the photoshopping skills of all the banner artists, I come with a request:

Could more of the banners (Comms, Jedi Council, etc) have at least some references to the OT? The OT just whoopped the PT big time in the Favorite Film contest, yet banner after banner is PT only. Shouldn't the banners be a little more tailored to the clear preferences of the user base? Or at least acknowledge the OT's existence?

Thanks.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hello Banner Makers.

FanForce has a special request. We are looking for a new traveling banner to use at events like conventions and Celebration. As you can see behind Hama and me, our old one is outdated and rather boring.

On that note, we would like to open the design up to all people, FanForcers or not, who would like to design it for us. We are looking for something that would incorporate the FanForce community and Star Wars (something that is neither strongly Imperial or Rebel :p ). We would like to have some sort of design on the left with a motto or logo on the right (but we're flexible with this). We'd like to have www.fanforce.net and www.theforce.net featured on the banner as well. Just be creative and have fun with it.

This winning design will then become the property of FanForce, giving us the right to change it if needed and the right to use it as needed. This design will also have to go through Mary Franklin, to make sure we are not infringing on any of Lucas? rights. Then all RSAs and CRs will vote on the winning design and the designer will receive colors for a month.

So in essence we are looking for two things: the design and the motto/logo. Both of which will be used on the banner, pamphlets, flyers, business cards, shirts, mugs etc, whatever we want/need made up for FanForce Chapters.

We went around a priced a new banner (or two). For a banner 6x3 in full color (three or more colors) it will run $129 or with one color $106. Jedi_runya also checked on a banner of 5x2 which will run $98 with full colors or $81 with one color. Now this price will increase under these two conditions: 1) we don?t have the designs in a vector format, or 2) if the design is too small. The company said ideally they would like to have the vector format or the design in a jpeg that will be 2 feet x 2 feet.

We are accepting donations to help pay for the banner. Any little bit helps. It will be used to promote us, both FanForce and the JC, as a group at Celebration 4, and will be used to be passed around the different chapters for local events, as the previous banner has been. Any extra will be used for the table at C4 (for items such as pamphlet, flyers, handouts, and business cards). Since we are getting the banner made locally, we'd like any donations for it sent to either our paypal account (<a href="mailto:stlouisfanforce@gmail.com">stlouisfanforce@gmail.com</a>) or snail mailed to either me or jedi_runya (who's actually the one doing the leg work at the moment :D ). I will be happy to provide an itemized list of donations and what it has been spent on if necessary.

All entries should be emailed to Jedidajuan@gmail.com by 12/3/2006. Feel free to post design ideas and entries in this thread, but only designs emailed to me will be officially considered. Stealing another person's design, (including taking any aspect of their image and changing it) will result in your forfiture of the contest and may result in a ban.

Any questions should be directed to Jedi_Dajuan or jedi_runya.

Thanks a bunch!!

13. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    *kicks the doors in and enters after months away*

Yo... *grin* ...now who needs banners?

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    gabe suggested that I post here. I need a banner [the works - reply banner, side bar, etc.] for the Charlotte forum. I'd like to keep it simple with blacks, greys, etc as I want to keep our style sheet.

I'd like our logo used:

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/CFFlogo2.jpg]

Also, I thought this would be a nice looking background with some X-wings, Tie Fighters and even a Death Star.

Please PM me if you are able to help out with this. Also, I'm sure I can wrangle some VIPship for the effort. [face_batting]

15. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes, help her out. Think of it as a warm-up for a soon to come main banner contest. The big leagues.

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    So, I'm the "minors", the farm team when it comes to banner fodder? :p

ewok-jedi has offered to help :D

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Cool, the main banner contest. I know gabe was looking to get that started early 2007. :)

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I'm starting to experiment with making banners. I'm using Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Particulary I'm trying to figure out how to merge images together for the main and background banner part so I don't have a solid break where you can tell which is each individual image.

I'm also having trouble figuring out how to adjust images down to the required size for each banner without stretching or squeezing them to much. Any help is appreciated. :)

19. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow. You guys already have a beautiful banner! Is that a generic FF banner, or was it custom for you guys?

20. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Thats a generic fan force banner, the one with out the side bar. There is a different one involving a side bar that is used in assorted other forums

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Attention Banner Makers:

The Arena is looking for some special event banners. These banners are time sensitive, so getting quick interest and submissions is important (but never at the cost of quality). For more information see this thread

22. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I saw that a main banner contest was mentioned, and decided to start early because I have a feeling the method I have in mind may take some time to do right... I have a preview of how I've started here. Really, the left-hand corner is the only spot that's even *close* to having enough on it. I think I might use R2D2 and 3PO in the same style as I've done up Luke and Anakin for the adholders... I'd love any comments on it people might have. :)

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The current main banner rawks. :cool:

The artist should be promoted.

24. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Can I get some input on this banner that I have been working on for Jada

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Nice color scheme. I wonder if a dark page background would look better though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.