main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Official Banner Makers Thread II: Attack of the Banners

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Ooh, I agree with you on the first two. Kind of a bit heavy. I like the third one. I guess that's because they're more of the pastels.

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    The grey-green and the teal clash a lot.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I really like the new main banner. Kudos to whoever made it.

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Well, there was a new one for about 10 minutes!

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Still having some technical issues with it, sorry. We're looking for a couple more. We'd like to have some to rotate around occasionally... *looks jacemathem's way* [face_batting]

6. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
  7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Damn those are sweet.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I must be missing something. All I get for the first is a dark brown banner at the top and on the left and the forum page. All I get for number two is a light brown banner at the top and on the left and the forum page.

Here's a pic.

9. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Weird. Tried with another browser already?

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    You should really use Firefox, LAJ. :p [:D]

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Alright. [face_laugh] You should try Firefox, or even IE. It works with either. ;)

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tried it in IE7 as well. Same result. At this point I'm not sure if it's the browser or Norton. But if it's the browser then I won't be the only one with the problem.

Edit - can one of you post a pic of what I should be seeing? It might help.

13. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Well, I dunno where the problem could lie. I only used Grimby the Hutt's "testpage.htm" and "stylesheet.css". Maybe IE has a problem with it, is there a bar popping up under the address bar? Maybe another IE-user should try it, as it works for me.

Anyway, you asked for a pic, there it is: http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3011/zwischenablage01ig7.jpg

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, it looks nice in your pic. I don't know what method jacemathem uses to test his banners but I took a look at a few in the list he posted above at the end of July and they came up fine. Grimby's test stuff is probably pretty old - maybe IE7 and AOL don't like something in it. (AOL basically uses IE for browsing).
    I'd d/l Firefox but I am not sure how nicely it and Norton Internet Security would play together.

15. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Mh. All my banners on the Lit have worked fine so far, when they were put up. Maybe it's my homepage that bugs, dunno.

But for your viewing pleasure, snaps of both banners, minus the stylesheet element.^^

[image=http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6104/bannerfanartcopynn8.jpg] and [image=http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5919/bannerfanart2ab3.jpg]

EDIT: Well, maybe it's your fault, whoever uses Norton... [face_whistling] :p No, I really dunno, except that Norton is something to avoid, save for Norton Ghost. But Firefox is more than worth trying, it's the best you can get. ;)

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I can see them working when they are put up, and they probably will for me then as I have TFN set up in Norton to exclude some of the ad-block entries that have given me problems in the past. Can you give me the full URL for one of the banner bits - i.e the .main or .back bit?

17. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Mh, yeah, adblocking might be it, dunno. I posted the direct links to the parts over here, just scroll down.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd say it's Norton, LAJ. I've never liked the bugger. I'd prefer to run no virus checker than it.

C_F's banner works fine in IE. I switched browsers to try. There's nothing wrong at his end.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Fixed it. It was Norton. I had to add your site to the list and allow the word banner in the adblocker to get it to work. They look fine now! Thanks for the help!

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Upping this to see if we can get some interest in Halloween Banners! [face_pumpkin]

21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    For Halloween - Zombies!!! They're so darn, uh, well, everyone loves Zombies!

22. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Me too! That new main banner is awesome! :)

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I see the new welcome Banner. Artistically rather nice looking, but, um, isn't there a little something missing? A little something called the Classic/Original Trilogy? No Han, no Luke,no Chewie. Leia and old Obi-Wan tiny, while Dooku is bigger than anyone and placed prominently in the center.

24. Insidious_One

Insidious_One Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2007
    Well since I have a sidebar always on, it looks as though Vader, Palpatine etc. are centred for me :p

Regardless I think it is pretty good, and not every main banner should have to be balanced between the PT and OT exactly.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm sorry, for regular banners I see your point. But this is the Welcome screen, it should be saying "Welcome" to all SW fans. This one says "welcome" to PT fans, and leaves the rest of us scratching our heads.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if the Welcome banner rotated frequently, but as we saw with the last one, that isn't really the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.