main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Official Banner Makers Thread III: Revenge of the Banners!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Welcome to the third edition of the Official Banner Makers Thread!
    v.1 | v.2

This thread?s purpose is to support the Banner Makers of the JC. Here, you can do the following:

2. Learn general information about JC banner making

3. Discuss your banners and the banners of others

4. Offer hints and tips on image modification for banners

5. Find out what others have learned about specific graphics programs

6. Ask questions of other Banner Makers (related to making banners. "How did you do that?")

7. Give or ask for banner suggestions (images, colors, design, themes)

8. Share fonts, images, and other banner design tools

9. [hl=skyblue][b][u]Banner submissions[/u][/b][/hl]

There are two general circumstances under which banners are to be submitted: banner competitions and YOU taking the initiative.

1) Banner competitions - Periodically, banner competitions will be held to create a new banner for a given forum. These competitions are generally run by forum moderators, and run over a period of a month or two. An announcement is made in Communications and the forum in question to inform people of the running of the contest, and at the end of the contest the Mod Squad votes on the entries. The winning banner(s) are then implemented in the forum, and the winner is given VIP status for a limited time. The Mod Squad may also hold banner competitions for Halloween, the winter holidays, and other special occasions.

2) Taking the initiative - If you haven?t seen a banner change in a given forum in a while and are interested in creating a banner, contact the moderators of that forum via PM and inform them that you?re interested. If they have no plans to hold a banner contest, they may be perfectly happy to allow you to design a new banner for the forum, though they may reserve the right to turn down the finished product. If you create a banner, you can offer it to forum moderators. You MAY be given VIP status if it is uploaded, but don?t expect it. If you have an idea for the default main banner, contact [hl=darkblue][color=chartreuse][b][i]Grimby the Hutt[/i][/b][/color][/hl].

[u][i]A note about holiday banners:[/i][/u] If there is a particular holiday coming up that you wish to have a custom banner, feel free to make one, but be sure that it maintains a strong Star Wars theme. These banners will replace the main default banner for a day or two, and then will revert back to the default banner. Holiday banners for holidays that last extended periods of time (like Lent and Ramadan) will not be put up for the duration of the period; they MAY be put up at the very beginning and/or the very end. These banners must be approved by [hl=darkblue][color=chartreuse][b][i]Grimby the Hutt[/i][/b][/color][/hl].

[hr]
    [hl=skyblue][b][u]Banner Basics[/u][/b][/hl]

Here I will attempt to touch on the basics of banner making. For more detailed information on banner specs and further help, see the links at the bottom of this post.

The JC banner is made up of two distinct pieces: the images and the style sheet.

[b]Images[/b]
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/images/test/bannerexample-full.jpg]
    The banner artwork is comprised of six separate pieces (some are optional):
    [blockquote][color=darkred][b]Main Image[/b][/color] (Size: 764x110) This is the main piece of the top artwork. [i][u]Variations:[/u][/i] Can be shorter in width and up to 950 wide, but the height must ALWAYS be 110.

[color=darkred][b]Background Image[/b][/color] (Size: 764x110) This is the filler image for the rest of the top. [i][u]Variations:[/u][/i] Must match the height and width of the main image in most cases.

[color=darkred][b]Side Image[/b][/color] (Size: 30x465) This is the image that extends along the left side of the page. (Optional) [i][u]Variations:[/u][/i] Can vary in height, but should never be more than 35 pixels wide.

[color=darkred][b]Curve Image[/

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Excellent!

Thanks, Grimby! :)

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks Grimby! I've locked the old thread.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Are there any particular banners lacking more than others? It seems like we could always use a nice supply of overall site banners to rotate than what we've got.

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I just submitted a brand new main banner. :)

Edit: Thanks for the comments guys! I will be updating my site's banner guide soon with more detailed information on the Google boxes and a couple new style sheet classes that have been added to the board code. :)

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yippee!

Actually, I'll be looking for a PT favorite scenes banner after next Sunday when I prepare the Countdown. (See my sig.)

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Arena still only has one general use banner. I've contacted a couple of banner makers about it, but if anyone else is out there with the skills, a submission is always appreciated.

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is great!!

SFFBC has a list of special book release banners we need, so if anyone's interested, the open call thread is here, and you can PM me if you have any questions, ideas, or banner submissions.

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I've seen the new main banner, Grimby. Wow, it really jumps out at you!

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Non - Star Wars Fan Fiction Forum is going to need a banner.

19. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    The new main banner is awesome. Never seen one quite like it here before. Nice job, Grimby! =D=

20. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Just wanted to say I *love* the current main banner [face_peace]

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I just noticed the new banner; it looks good. :D

22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The current main banner isn't Grimby's new one. It's Strilo's 10th Anniversary banner.

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Mine was up for a couple of minutes. :p

Glad you all liked it though. :D

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    But it was different for about an hour. That's the time that I posted in, so i thought it was a new banner.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, Grimby's was up as the main banner for a brief time, before coming back down.

EDIT: also, I'd like to echo Inty's comments that the Arena would love to have another general use banner, if anyone is interested!

26. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I've also seen Grimby's banner and it looks great!

27. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It's already got one.

28. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Eeet's very nice!

[image=http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9381/kniggits5hw.jpg]

29. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Teases![face_shame_on_you] [face_not_talking]

30. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I love the new main banner!

31. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yes, now we have Grimby's new main banner up!

And presumably not just for a brief test run. :)

32. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Nice banner, Grimby! Great job!

33. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    New main banner looks great, Grimby. I dig the inclusion of a background in the style template. That'll be fun to tinker with in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.